F Rutger McGroarty - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022, 14th, WPG; traded to PIT)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
So if two years pass and he signs elsewhere. Jets get any compensation like a another draft pick?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So if two years pass and he signs elsewhere. Jets get any compensation like a another draft pick?
Yes, they would get a 2nd round pick. IIRC, it would be 14th overall in the 2nd round, since they selected him 14 overall in the 1st round.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I've forgotten, was MI finished their season before the NHL regular season finished? Could they have signed him, and sat him on the bench, or given him a few minutes at the end of the season, allowing him to burn a year?
He's 20 now so the ELC wouldn't slide anyway. He could theoretically sign with the Jets now before July 1st and burn a year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
"Winnipeg wanted to sign McGroarty to a professional contract in April but was unwilling to promise a path to playing time"

“We made it very open to him at the onset that we were more than willing to sign him, more than willing to turn him pro. But in the same token, we need him to make that decision for what he feels is best for his development,” Cheveldayoff said in May. “I think Rutger is looking for an even bigger role where he can help lead a team to greatness and help his development there.”

we were willing to sign him but he wanted a spot in the nhl, jets wouldn't guarantee a spot for him and so we are here
It's quite common to sign a college player, have him play limited minutes/sit on bench during the end of the season. I get the Jets point that they don't want to guarantee anyone a full time spot, nor should they, but there is a middle ground. Give the guy a few minutes, get him around the team in practice, make him feel part of things. Send him into the summer with positive vibes and hopefully, a desire to work hard and earn a full time spot in training camp.

I wonder if there was just poor communication between the two parties? It's one thing to ask for a chance to earn a full time spot, and another to demand a full time spot be handed to him. In the first instance, i can't see the Jets saying no to a prized prospect who had a great year, on the other, i can't see an agent demanding a full time spot for his player regardless of his quality of play.

We don't know exactly what was said. Jets management will have one version, McGroarty another. The truth is likely somewhere in between.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

If that is the case the entitled little bitch can *uck right off.
If anything inserting a young guy into the lineup with some energy and get the guys rallying behind could help. Especially someone with the personality like Rutger. I think its an antiquated view. You shouldn't guarantee him anything in terms of a roster spot in the future, but don't draft high end college guys if you aren't willing to give them some games to get them in the building.

Home ice isn't going to make or break a single thing, but adding Top 15 talents to your org certainly can.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

If that is the case the entitled little bitch can *uck right off.
Really, I see that and come away with the opposite view. I laugh at the dumb decisions of Winnipeg there... you should be focused on winning in the playoffs.

There's way too much regular season position/record focus in some players and teams lately. You should want to rest players and add depth. Maybe they'd be better off if they rested some guys giving McGroarty some games over risking their playoff position battle.

jokesondee

I’m not fat. I’m cultivating mass.
Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Really, I see that and come away with the opposite view. I laugh at the dumb decisions of Winnipeg there... you should be focused on winning in the playoffs.

There's way too much regular season position/record focus in some players and teams lately. You should want to rest players and add depth. Maybe they'd be better off if they rested some guys giving McGroarty some games over risking their playoff position battle.
Lmao ok. Your fighting for a home ice in the playoffs, a 22 year old nearly 20 goal scorer in Cole Perfetti cant get into the lineup, and your going to bring in McGroarty just because he thinks he deserves it?? What message does that send to the team. What happened to signing your rookie deal, showing up for camp, and earning a spot??

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Lmao ok. Your fighting for a home ice in the playoffs, a 22 year old nearly 20 goal scorer in Cole Perfetti cant get into the lineup, and your going to bring in McGroarty just because he thinks he deserves it?? What message does that send to the team. What happened to signing your rookie deal, showing up for camp, and earning a spot??
Don't draft college guys then idk. I would say Perfetti not getting into the lineup is also bad lol

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
Don't draft college guys then idk. I would say Perfetti not getting into the lineup is also bad lol
Perfetti was in a huge funk and hadnt scored in like 20 games. If he's not chipping in with offense he's basically useless cause he cant play a checker/shutdown type roll. I wouldnt be surprised if the Jets do shy away from college guys after this. Its another Cutter Gauthier scenario. Dont know why these college guys are so entitled all of a sudden. Dictating when/where they play.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I wouldnt be surprised if the Jets do shy away from college guys after this. Its another Cutter Gauthier scenario. Dont know why these college guys are so entitled all of a sudden. Dictating when/where they play.
There are situations where teams have all the leverage. There are situations where players have a lot of leverage. I wouldn't call it entitlement without knowing the direct quote. Expecting to get some games when you sign is just apart of the deal (imo). Expecting to be gifted a spot and not be subject to the AHL is something else entirely. The former Im fine with, the latter I am not.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
fact of it is an NHL career is extremely fragile, especially at the beginning when a player hasn’t locked down a role in the league. I can never fault guys for taking steps to best ensure they can succeed and stay in the league long term.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He also watched his teammates sign with NHL clubs and play in NHL after Michigan season ended over last 2 years

Hughes (4th overall in 2021) with Devils
Nazar (13th overall in 2022) with Hawks
Brindley (34th overall in 2023) with Blue Jackets

And while Hawks/Jackets suck so players jumping right into NHL is understandable there the Devils gave Hughes a few games to end season despite playoff push, etc and he even saw a action in a few playoff games

So, the Jets excuse to him about "Focusing on division" and then not planning to have him play even in 24-25 with club probably pushed him to want to move on

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
Its another Cutter Gauthier scenario. Dont know why these college guys are so entitled all of a sudden. Dictating when/where they play.
I agree with you.

NIL $ have made it easier for the players to show they are willing to wait out the 4 years to allow themselves to pick their team of choice. i'd guess Rutger was finding it more difficult to face NCAA (even with $) when his buddies signed in the NHL.

Don't expect the Jets to draft Eiserman on Friday. lol

Also, this is not just a Jets problem. I know scouts from other teams who asked some American players if they would sign if drafted.

IMO, this needs to be fixed in the next NHLPA deal. NHL needs to level the playing field as much as possible so that small market teams have a fighting chance.

The fact that these players can now earn $ while playing NCAA makes it really easy to say no thanks to the AHL while the wait for their NHL career to begin.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
IMO, this needs to be fixed in the next NHLPA deal. NHL needs to level the playing field as much as possible so that small market teams have a fighting chance.

What is there to be fixed?

And a small market team just signed his teammate (Brindley)

He wanted to join Jets, Jets turned him down and now he is prepared to seek alternative path either playing thru his NCAA career to FA or signing with team Jets trade him too

At least he is giving Jets chance to move him and recoup value. Other teams (Hawks with Hayes) didn't even have that chance

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
He also watched his teammates sign with NHL clubs and play in NHL after Michigan season ended over last 2 years

Hughes (4th overall in 2021) with Devils
Nazar (13th overall in 2022) with Hawks
Brindley (34th overall in 2023) with Blue Jackets

And while Hawks/Jackets suck so players jumping right into NHL is understandable there the Devils gave Hughes a few games to end season despite playoff push, etc and he even saw a action in a few playoff games

So, the Jets excuse to him about "Focusing on division" and then not planning to have him play even in 24-25 with club probably pushed him to want to move on
All indications are the Jets wanted to sign him in the spring and have him come to camp. They would have been ecstatic if he was able to EARN a spot on the team. He abruptly announced on April 15 that he was going back to college to the surprise of the Jets, right after he was told he wouldnt be added to the roster at the end of the season. Basically a big F YOU to the team. Therein lies the problem. These entitled babies want guarantees and roster spots handed to them. Whatever happed to earning a spot with the team through skill and hard work?!?!?

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
What is there to be fixed?

And a small market team just signed his teammate (Brindley)

He wanted to join Jets, Jets turned him down and now he is prepared to seek alternative path either playing thru his NCAA career to FA or signing with team Jets trade him too

At least he is giving Jets chance to move him and recoup value. Other teams (Hawks with Hayes) didn't even have that chance

That's not what happened.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What happened then? Also on the topic of NIL, I don’t think guys in college are really making that much based on what I heard.
Yup, hockey is not a money making sport in college. Hoops and football are what brings in the $$. Even baseball only makes money for a very few teams. Most college athletes do not get full rides. They get partial, or no money, and this gets re-assessed every year, and can change.

Playing a sport in college is not the easy life that some make it out to be.

Reactions: TLEH

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
All indications are the Jets wanted to sign him in the spring and have him come to camp. They would have been ecstatic if he was able to EARN a spot on the team. He abruptly announced on April 15 that he was going back to college to the surprise of the Jets, right after he was told he wouldnt be added to the roster at the end of the season. Basically a big F YOU to the team. Therein lies the problem. These entitled babies want guarantees and roster spots handed to them. Whatever happed to earning a spot with the team through skill and hard work?!?!?

He will get a roster spot (and more importantly, an NHL salary) on whichever team he is traded to. If Winnipeg doesn't want to be that team, he's playing all the cards in his hand to land with a team that will give him that. Nothing wrong with that, and he's perfectly within his rights. That's the business side of hockey. It's not entitlement, it's not laziness, it's a guy who wants to increase his salary by 15x, and he's doing what everyone on this site would do, you included, in his position.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Jets essentially chose Morgan Barron over kid

Seriously Morgan Barron could have easily sat those final games for kid to get NHL games in on a deal signed

The Devils signed/played his teammate year before in same exact situation, so it rings hollow the Jets "We are trying to win home ice"

jokesondee

Feb 23, 2018
Winnipeg
He will get a roster spot (and more importantly, an NHL salary) on whichever team he is traded to. If Winnipeg doesn't want to be that team, he's playing all the cards in his hand to land with a team that will give him that. Nothing wrong with that, and he's perfectly within his rights. That's the business side of hockey. It's not entitlement, it's not laziness, it's a guy who wants to increase his salary by 15x, and he's doing what everyone on this site would do, you included, in his position.
Its greasy. Then why even have a draft?!?! Just let players chose where they want to play!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Its greasy. Then why even have a draft?!?! Just let players chose where they want to play!

It's not greasy, though I would be just as upset as you and other Jets fans are if one of my top prospects did it, so I get it.

But not having a draft at all is a long, long drop off from McGroarty or Gauthier doing this. And frankly it sounds like this could have been avoided if the Jets management/coaching wasn't also trying to play hardball with their cards. It just so happens that they don't have all the leverage at this point. Players should have some kind of power in this dynamic as well, otherwise teams would get downright disgusting in trying to maximize contract value at the players expense.

It's not the same exact situation, but when Kaprizov finally decided to come over, the Wild could only give him a 2 year ELC because of his age, and then they still had to burn the first year of it without Kaprizov even playing a game for them that season. Money talks, and if McGroarty can get NHL money this season, it's only fair that he plays his hand, the same way the Jets tried to play their hand and squeeze more juice out of his ELC.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I agree with you.

NIL $ have made it easier for the players to show they are willing to wait out the 4 years to allow themselves to pick their team of choice. i'd guess Rutger was finding it more difficult to face NCAA (even with $) when his buddies signed in the NHL.

Don't expect the Jets to draft Eiserman on Friday. lol

Also, this is not just a Jets problem. I know scouts from other teams who asked some American players if they would sign if drafted.

The fact that these players can now earn $ while playing NCAA makes it really easy to say no thanks to the AHL while the wait for their NHL career to begin.
Name, image and likeness opportunities in college athletics have largely focused on the big-money sports of football and basketball, where talk of seven-figure deals for a star quarterback or point guard isn't out of the question.

For college hockey, NIL opportunities haven't been as prominent or prolific. Gophers men's coach Bob Motzko last year during the Frozen Four famously said: "Our guys get burritos" — a nod to Logan Cooley's Chipotle deal — "but I think times are changing."

By RANDY JOHNSON , STAR TRIBUNE
April 10, 2024 - 5:04 AM

The idea that Rutger is spurning the NHL because of NIL money sounds like some sort of boogeyman explanation. It might get there eventually, because NCAA hockey is growing in popularity and is often 3rd in revenues for those major schools (behind NCAAM and NCAAF), but based on everything I've read and heard, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Unless you've heard different?

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad