F Rutger McGroarty - Signed by Penguins and playing in the AHL (2022, 14th, WPG; traded to PIT)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I feel like some of the names thrown around are too conservative when it comes to a player with the talent of McGroarty.

Look back to Jason Robertson. No one thought he'd end up 1PPG+ in his second NHL season. His potential was thought to be limited due to skating. He was projected instead as a 2nd or 3rd line winger due to his skating.

I think thats a good cautionary tale of why you shouldn't put a limit on potential. If the player's main concern of skating doesn't materialize as the concern people think it is, the player may end up a lot better than the projections. Not every player needs to be compared to the absolute best possible outcome, but it seems to me like McGroarty is the type of player that some of the projections are unnecessarily low on.

I think a lot of the estimates are very conservative because some view his skating as a little weaker. I don't view his skating as weak. It's possible McGroarty doesn't end up this good, but I think he has 100 point potential. I may be wrong and he could only play 150 NHL games. I'm putting that idea out there though because I think there's a chance this draft is looked back on, and McGroarty is one of the stars of the draft.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like some of the names thrown around are too conservative when it comes to a player with the talent of McGroarty.

Look back to Jason Robertson. No one thought he'd end up 1PPG+ in his second NHL season. His potential was thought to be limited due to skating. He was projected instead as a 2nd or 3rd line winger due to his skating.

I think thats a good cautionary tale of why you shouldn't put a limit on potential. If the player's main concern of skating doesn't materialize as the concern people think it is, the player may end up a lot better than the projections. Not every player needs to be compared to the absolute best possible outcome, but it seems to me like McGroarty is the type of player that some of the projections are unnecessarily low on.

I think a lot of the estimates are very conservative because some view his skating as a little weaker. I don't view his skating as weak. It's possible McGroarty doesn't end up this good, but I think he has 100 point potential. I may be wrong and he could only play 150 NHL games. I'm putting that idea out there though because I think there's a chance this draft is looked back on, and McGroarty is one of the stars of the draft.

I'm really hoping either him or Lambert drops into the teens and the Habs can trade up to get him somehow. Adding Wright + one of them would be insane.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Relative to Geekie, I'm not the least bit concerned about McGroarty's skating. I do think Geekie has the higher ceiling, but I am not super optimistic he reaches it. Feel like McGroarty is actually a relatively safe pick in that 12-22 range, with Kasper, as far as centers go and I'd put Lambert in this tier probably. I expect all 3 to go after the likes of Nazar, Savoie and Geekie though.

I really am higher and higher on McGroarty though as the draft gets closer. Not that I'm comparing McGroarty and Wyatt Johnston or McMichael as players. But I can see a similar thing happening with McGroarty and Kasper really. Guys who weren't picked in the top 15 who ended up jumping a bunch of guys the year after they were picked.

And I do see a lot of Horvat or on the high end, JT Miller in McGroarty. Might take him as long as Miller to reach his potential too. But if I'm a team that needed a center, picking 12-22, would have no problem taking either McGroarty or Kasper with Lambert for me personally a bit less likely to end up sticking at center in the NHL. And some question marks after this past season. So I'm really not sure what order I'd have McGroarty, Kasper and Lambert in. But all same range.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Teams likely love McGroarty’s fire and toughness. His skills are high-end enough at 18 years old where he’ll probably get even better over time instead of losing them. He isn’t polished and definitely benefitted from his linemates, but he’s played his best at major scouting events, and at times was the best forward on an obviously talented group.

Didn’t think he was a lock for Round 1 before the tournament, but with the Russian issue and his strong resume, he probably ends up in the 19-25 range.
I would not be disappointed if the Jets took him at #14, depending on who slides down out of the top 10

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The captain of Team USA at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, Rutger McGroarty scored eight goals and one assist for nine points in six games and led the team to a silver medal. McGroarty was named a top-three player on the team. His performance came on the heels of a successful season with the US National Team Development Program Under-18 Team. McGroarty put up 35 goals and 34 assists for 69 games in 54 games with the NTDP against both USHL and NCAA opposition.

Reactions: Grinner

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I think this guy will be the steal of the draft, assuming he drops to end of the 1st round or early 2nd. I am hoping the Habs draft him somehow.

His U18 performance sold me on him as an impact player.

I'd be surprised if he was a Habs target. They value footspeed and McGroarty has the heaviest boots in the draft.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
His skating is a problem the way Lundell’s was a problem. Good enough, and his smarts
and positioning make up
for a lot. Good size and strength, good character, and scores points. A bigger Kunin who will likely be a C in the NHL

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No he doesn’t. His skating isn’t even an issue.
Idk, I really don't like his skating. If I even thought it was decent I would have him ranked higher.

But I have seen the US coach defend his skating and say it doesn't really inhibit his game. So I could be wrong. But I think with his size/skill/production if his skating wasn't bad he would universally be ranked higher than he is.,

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Idk, I really don't like his skating. If I even thought it was decent I would have him ranked higher.

But I have seen the US coach defend his skating and say it doesn't really inhibit his game. So I could be wrong. But I think with his size/skill/production if his skating wasn't bad he would universally be ranked higher than he is.,
I was responding to that he has the heaviest boots in the draft.

I think his skating concerns are similar to Lundell as @57special said. He's certainly not fast, so I can see why the concerns come up, but there's a chance that the concerns look pretty stupid in a year or two, like Lundell. I personally fell for the Lundell skating concerns, to an extent. Unless a player's skating is really bad or the rest of their game isn't that good, I'm starting to lean towards some minor skating concerns being a pretty minor thing in the grander scheme.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC to Chicago
I still see McGroarty as the best (pure) winger in this draft class and I'm prepared to take the heat if he falls well short of that.

I get the concerns about his skating, but personally I see a much more well-rounded scoring package and better offensive instincts in Rutger than I do for example in Slafkovsky or Kemell. I like those players too, and I get why they're consensus top 10 players. But I'd go to bat for Rutger being the more productive NHL player.

There's no chance he goes this high, but I think he'd be an excellent pick for New Jersey at #2.

I'm thrilled Michigan managed to poach him from the Irish, I think he'll have the biggest impact of our freshmen next season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I was responding to that he has the heaviest boots in the draft.

I think his skating concerns are similar to Lundell as @57special said. He's certainly not fast, so I can see why the concerns come up, but there's a chance that the concerns look pretty stupid in a year or two, like Lundell. I personally fell for the Lundell skating concerns, to an extent. Unless a player's skating is really bad or the rest of their game isn't that good, I'm starting to lean towards some minor skating concerns being a pretty minor thing in the grander scheme.
I had Lundell as a top 10 player personally, his feet didn’t concern me nearly as much.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Would look good in teal. Has been on the top of my wish list. Although at 11 it's a slight reach. This might just be the draft to put such feelings aside and just take your guy

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I had Lundell as a top 10 player personally, his feet didn’t concern me nearly as much.
I liked him too, and thought his skating looked ok in everything I watched, but some people on here went overboard on criticizing his wheels, and his lack of offensive upside. I kept seeing Mikko Koivu 2.0- I take that all day long in any non top 3 pick…some years even as a #1.
Isn’t McGroarty going to be a C in the pros? Seems to have the size, IQ, and two way game

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I liked him too, and thought his skating looked ok in everything I watched, but some people on here went overboard on criticizing his wheels, and his lack of offensive upside. I kept seeing Mikko Koivu 2.0- I take that all day long in any non top 3 pick…some years even as a #1.
Isn’t McGroarty going to be a C in the pros? Seems to have the size, IQ, and two way game
I think it’ll be like Boldy, who was also a center before the NTDP. He’ll be tried at center because they’d be stupid not to try him out at the more valuable position. He may not stick there though, as Boldy didn’t.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s a 6+ Footer, and thick. Horvat like.

Right, I can imagine him McGroarty ending up thick and a few lbs bit heavier than average. NHL average is about 6'1 200, so I don't see his appeal as being about size, it's more about what he does with it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s 6’2 200+, so not a giant but bigger than NHL average.
6'1 even at the combine. Half the league stands above him.

I'm really trying to make a nitpicky point here that I don't think people are picking up on. I think we want McGroarty because he adds strength and intensity to the lineup (in addition to great hands, etc...). I think that's what people mean when they say "I'd love my team to add his size".

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad