F Rutger McGroarty - Signed by Penguins and playing in the AHL (2022, 14th, WPG; traded to PIT)

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
He is a tough kid, stands up for his teammates and is obviously a leader with some skill. I would be happy if he turned into anything like a David Backes who had a number of really good years offensively. Inside the top 10 would be very surprising for me but would love to see him get there!
LOVE that comp, been trying to think of one and just couldn't

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Backes is huge compared to McGroarty. McGroarty is in that "big for a junior, average for an NHLer" spot. I think he'll end up being a strong overall NHLer but not that special.

Reactions: 57special

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Backes is huge compared to McGroarty. McGroarty is in that "big for a junior, average for an NHLer" spot. I think he'll end up being a strong overall NHLer but not that special.
Backes was maybe 1.5 inches taller and 10lbs heavier at his draft vs Rutger...hardly a "huge" difference...

Backes was a big boy no doubt, and I doubt Rutger will reach that physicality level, but offensive comps aren't far off and Rutger still has some growth left in him..

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Backes was maybe 1.5 inches taller and 10lbs heavier at his draft vs Rutger...hardly a "huge" difference...

Backes was a big boy no doubt, and I doubt Rutger will reach that physicality level, but offensive comps aren't far off and Rutger still has some growth left in him..

EP has Backes at 6'3 and McGroarty at 6'0. Maybe 10% of young men grow an inch or more at age 18 or later, most are done growing. And if McGroarty is 6'0 205, then most likely he isn't going to get bigger. He'll have to be a scary scorer (which I'm not ruling out) because he won't be scaring any NHLers with his size.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
EP has Backes at 6'3 and McGroarty at 6'0. Maybe 10% of young men grow an inch or more at age 18 or later, most are done growing. And if McGroarty is 6'0 205, then most likely he isn't going to get bigger. He'll have to be a scary scorer (which I'm not ruling out) because he won't be scaring any NHLers with his size.
Backes is 38 years old...his measurements are what he last was measured at in the NHL. Like I said maybe 10lbs off and 1.5-2 inches (I will wait for draft measurements). Again, hardly a "huge" difference.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McGroarty is listed at 6'1 204 on the most recent NTDP listing, and that came before he turned 18, so it's possible he gets taller and stronger. I think he could potentially be 6'2 210 eventually, and it wouldn't be that surprising.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Too many Rs.
1651070096791.png

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
Rutger McGroarty or Cutter Gauthier?

Both have HOF names and seem to have similar games but who goes higher and why?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
McGroarty is listed at 6'1 204 on the most recent NTDP listing, and that came before he turned 18, so it's possible he gets taller and stronger. I think he could potentially be 6'2 210 eventually, and it wouldn't be that surprising.
I think that is right in the ballpark for him. He has a thick frame as well, I think putting on lbs won't be an issue if that is the way he goes.

Backes was a bigger kid and a bull dozer out there, but Rutger can be something like David was who IMO was pretty underrated as an offensive player for a good 6-7 year stretch.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has 6+1=7 in 4 games so far in this tournament. Doesn’t mean he’s some one-dimensional goal scorer either. People always confuse that type of stuff when a player puts up lopsided totals of goals or assists in a short tournament. Elite goal scorer and passer. May have the highest scoring upside in the upcoming draft.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rutger McGroarty or Cutter Gauthier?

Both have HOF names and seem to have similar games but who goes higher and why?
Gauthier for me. Bigger, better skater, flashes more skill than McGroarty. Gauthier(and his body) are still figuring it out, but i see a higher ceiling with him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gauthier for me. Bigger, better skater, flashes more skill than McGroarty. Gauthier(and his body) are still figuring it out, but i see a higher ceiling with him.
Gauthier has flashier puck-handling. When it matters in a situation during a game where pure skill is needed, I think McGroarty can make higher skill plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad