Prospect Info: (F) Oliver Moore - 2023 NHL Draft, 19th Overall

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Took Kesler about 4-5 season of NHL hockey to become a 50 plus point player. Larkin was about 3 seasons...The main flaw with both of them at their respective drafts were their limited offensive upside. Same as Moore. I don't think it's a stretch to say Moore can be somewhat close to those guys especially since the game has opened up more the past 3-4 years.
Kesler scored forty in the NHL. I just don't see Moore ever coming close.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kesler scored forty in the NHL. I just don't see Moore ever coming close.
Sure, he did that 1 time, all his other seasons he hovered in the 20 plus goal and 50 plus point range. Again, offensive style wise they are similar players with similar flaws. I am sure if Moore plays a lot with Bedard and or other studs, he can have a peak year as well. But a consistent 50-60 point player is in the realm of possibility for Moore as that was what Kesler pretty much was..Larkin another step up from that.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Sure, he did that 1 time, all his other seasons he hovered in the 20 plus goal and 50 plus point range. Again, offensive style wise they are similar players with similar flaws. I am sure if Moore plays a lot with Bedard and or other studs, he can have a peak year as well. But a consistent 50-60 point player is in the realm of possibility for Moore as that was what Kesler pretty much was..Larkin another step up from that.
Kesler won a Selke. I like Moore he's just not Kesler good.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Kesler won a Selke. I like Moore he's just not Kesler good.
I am not saying he will be exactly like that lol. At their draft ages, similar players, with similar offensive skillsets. Who knows how it all plays out, but if Moore turns into anything like the Kesler or Larkin's of the world offensively, it was a great pick.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I don’t remember Kesler as a prospect, but Larkin had more dynamic offense than Moore did for the program I thought. Moore creates offense with his skating but I don’t feel like he’s creative.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
My entire point is the same was said about Kesler and Larkin becoming those types of players as well prior to turning pro...they did. Moore has the same chance they did imo, up to him to get there obviously.
We always have the "positive confirmation bias" examples of the guys who ultimately did figure it out. I do appreciate the historical lookback because people tend to focus on the peaks and forget what the public perception was of a player still in the prospect phase of their career.

Example of Kesler in this thread who is remembered as a 40g scoring Selke award winning player. That was definitely an outlier year and even if Moore could get to the "average" RK year around 20-25g & 60-65 points while playing a strong 2 way game that would be a huge positive for the organization. I do remember that a team offersheeted Kesler (I think it was PHI), early in his career before RK had done much, but VAN matched based on potential.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I don’t remember Kesler as a prospect, but Larkin had more dynamic offense than Moore did for the program I thought. Moore creates offense with his skating but I don’t feel like he’s creative.
Moore NDTP 55 games 51 points - College freshman 39 games 33 points
Kesler NDTP 79 games 49 points - College freshman 40 games 31 points
Larkin NDTP 63 games 40 points - College freshman 35 games 47 points

Larkin had the advanatage of playing as a freshman on a team with Hymann, Copp, Motte, Werenski, & Compher which I suspect history will prove out was a little better than what Moore played with (although I have high hopes for Rinzel)

Reactions: Panzerspitze

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
People thought the same with Larkin. One of the best skaters in his draft by far, but wasn't viewed as an offensive force. Some doubted how good he truly could be because they felt he got by on his speed. Didn't help that he played with Eichel as the 1C and he was 2C with yeah, Auston Matthews called up to play end of that season lol.

Larkin didn't get top line players to work with and his stats seemed to suggest that compared to Eichel at the NDP.. I see a lot of the same with Moore who essentially was overshadowed by that entire top line while he was there. I don't think Moore can be the goal scorer Larkin is, but I also don't believe a few 20-45-65 seasons aren't a crazy thought either. Moore has a good head for the game and isn't just a Billy Sweatt out there speed wise.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It wasn't until Larkin's year at Michigan where he really broke out offensively. He wasn't a dynamic offensive guy at the USNTDP

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
not putting expectations of what he will turn into however the more I watch the more I like. looking forward to see how he develops this year. Its a year that he should make some strides forward. Loads of opportunity to succeed.

thedarkstark

Jun 22, 2012
I understand people being concerned with Moore's offensive upside. His decision does need to improve but I've seen a lot of people other places sour on him and saying Davidson whiffed by not selecting Perrault which I just can't get behind. I still think Moore ends up the better player, even if he doesn't end up top 6 his speed and defense will keep him in the NHL.

MHO

Sep 27, 2023
Can we make that judgement call on a kid who's not even 20 yet?

He COULD be "worse" than Kesler.
He COULD be on par with Kesler.
He COULD be "better" than Kesler.

Let's hope he won't be a prick like Kesler. Although he would be our prick, I guess.
Kesler was way easier to like during the olympics. Like way easier instantly

Reactions: Drumman44

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Can we make that judgement call on a kid who's not even 20 yet?

He COULD be "worse" than Kesler.
He COULD be on par with Kesler.
He COULD be "better" than Kesler.

Let's hope he won't be a prick like Kesler. Although he would be our prick, I guess.
noooo nooo noo. lets hope he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad