Prospect Info: (F) Oliver Moore - 2023 NHL Draft, 19th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Although I question the offensive ceiling and the average hockey sense, Moore is such a valuable add. If all he becomes is a 3C or top 9F that forchecks like crazy, relentless on the PK and will give you the occasional highlight reel from time to time you take that. He doesn't think the game like Nazar, but he is a better 2 way player already.

TJBrocker

May 6, 2019
Wheelers take on the Hawks and this pick:

Winners

Chicago Blackhawks

Pick: 1. Connor Bedard
My ranking: No. 1

Pick: 19. Oliver Moore
My ranking: No. 9

I know you’re jacked about Bedard if you’re a Blackhawks fan. You should be jacked about Moore at No. 19, too, though. There was always going to be a really high-end forward or two available into the late teens or early 20s, and Moore, the best skater in the draft, is excellent value there for me. The skating defines him (as it defined 2022 Blackhawks picks Frank Nazar and Paul Ludwinski, among others), his work rate is impressive, but I’m a big believer in his skill and shot too.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
The Hawks have been bad for a while but really only beginning the 2nd year of the rebuild.
Bedard, Moore, Greene, Nazar and Reichel along with a few role player pieces (Raddysh comes to mind) seems like a good start up front.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I understand why Moore's elite speed and high energy put his floor high. However, why do some people believe his ceiling is low? It appears his hands are decent with average height and weight.. I keep hearing his hockey IQ isn't as high. Why is that the case? Does he not see the ice well? Is he irresponsible defensively? Is he selfish offensively?

When his coaches compare Moore's speed with McDavid, shouldn't that give Moore a high ceiling as long as his hands aren't stones like Athanasioue? You can't teach elite speed and passion. AA had 30 and 20 goal NHL seasons strictly based on elite speed and effort ... with hands of stone and limited vision on the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: CourtneyDagger50

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
Even if he only reaches his floor, I love the pick. I keep thinking of Anthony Cirelli with more speed as a comparable from a recent contending team. You absolutely need players like that even if he never reaches as high of an offensive ceiling as we'd like. Maybe the comparison isn't close, but his game plays with the direction of this team at the very least.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Even if he only reaches his floor, I love the pick. I keep thinking of Anthony Cirelli with more speed as a comparable from a recent contending team. You absolutely need players like that even if he never reaches as high of an offensive ceiling as we'd like. Maybe the comparison isn't close, but his game plays with the direction of this team at the very least.
At the very least, Moore could be a Viktor Stahlberg type on a Cup contender ... intense forechecker with great speed / acceleration as a winger ... not as big though, but big enough. His upside is a two way 2C whose elite speed creates space for his linemates to operate.

Reactions: Pile

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I understand why Moore's elite speed and high energy put his floor high. However, why do some people believe his ceiling is low? It appears his hands are decent with average height and weight.. I keep hearing his hockey IQ isn't as high. Why is that the case? Does he not see the ice well? Is he irresponsible defensively? Is he selfish offensively?

When his coaches compare Moore's speed with McDavid, shouldn't that give Moore a high ceiling as long as his hands aren't stones like Athanasioue? You can't teach elite speed and passion. AA had 30 and 20 goal NHL seasons strictly based on elite speed and effort ... with hands of stone and limited vision on the ice.
Just my impression from reading others reports, but it seems that Moore produces by playing a straightforward game by forechecking and driving to the net and some folks are taking that as a negative. After watching FLA it seems very similar to how they got the SCF. (Note - haven't seen him play enough to have an opinion of my own - above a summary of reading critiques of him.)

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary

I think it's more so the case with his brain not being as fast as his feet. He plays at a ridiculous pace, and not a lot of players can make the heads up smart plays consistently. But he shows plenty where he does do so, so I think it's bound to improve.

Obviously as to what degree that happens is going to determine his ceiling. I'm a big believer. He showed plenty of high IQ plays and his skating/compete package is already outstanding. There is so much potential there.

One of the things I was rock hard about during the year was a Reichel - Moore - Nazar potential lineup. Can't believe we will actually get the chance to see it happen.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Picture this /////////////////////////////// Ollie and Nazz on the penalty kill together . Our 2nd unit Ludwinski and Bedard . Making the 80's Oilers look like plodding slowpokes . Awwwwwwww ticker tape parades await .

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Just my impression from reading others reports, but it seems that Moore produces by playing a straightforward game by forechecking and driving to the net and some folks are taking that as a negative. After watching FLA it seems very similar to how they got the SCF. (Note - haven't seen him play enough to have an opinion of my own - above a summary of reading critiques of him.)
That's fair. I guess they are questioning his stick handling. He's only 18. That can be improved especially if he can slow down his game with experience.

I wonder how his game would have been like if he played wing with Smith and Perrault/Leonard? Maybe Moore needed to play more direct as a 2C.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I think it's more so the case with his brain not being as fast as his feet. He plays at a ridiculous pace, and not a lot of players can make the heads up smart plays consistently. But he shows plenty where he does do so, so I think it's bound to improve.

Obviously as to what degree that happens is going to determine his ceiling. I'm a big believer. He showed plenty of high IQ plays and his skating/compete package is already outstanding. There is so much potential there.

One of the things I was rock hard about during the year was a Reichel - Moore - Nazar potential lineup. Can't believe we will actually get the chance to see it happen.
That sounds like a good scouting report. He needs his mind to catch up to his feet. As an 18 year old, it's definitely possible.

Just based on Moore's interview ... you can tell Moore is high energy/passionate, but his mind is racing a million miles per hour like many 18 year olds. He'll learn to slow down with experience. Contrast that to Bedard, who always seem calm during an interview ... which is kind of like he plays. That's why people think he acts older than his age at 17.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
What a great pick.....I bet Davidson kicked the doors to move up just to get Moore----the skating the wheels, the Hawks are going to be one fast team in the not so distant future.....Can't wait for the power forward picks in the 2nd round!

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015
With Bedard the Hawks selected the best offensive forward talent in the 2023 draft. With Moore they drafted someone that may be the best defensive forward in this draft.
They also are guys who are in the conversation for 2nd best shot and 2nd best wheels the moment they step on an NHL rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad