F Michael Misa - Saginaw Spirit, OHL (2025 Draft)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I mean, sure, there were some mitigating circumstances. But eventually those mitigating circumstances have to go from excuses to proving out the expectation of what will change. It wasn’t a good season. I think it’s generally rational that a player sees a fall when they have a weak season, whether there were mitigating circumstances or not.

And now if he can keep up his good start he’ll have a chance to move back up. I don’t see how any of that is unfair or stupid.
It wasn't. Yours was a good post. Short, concise, answered my question.

Last edited:

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I mean, sure, there were some mitigating circumstances. But eventually those mitigating circumstances have to go from excuses to proving out the expectation of what will change. It wasn’t a good season. I think it’s generally rational that a player sees a fall when they have a weak season, whether there were mitigating circumstances or not.

And now if he can keep up his good start he’ll have a chance to move back up. I don’t see how any of that is unfair or stupid.
I take the point that having a lower ppg than the previous year and "only" producing 75 points as an exceptional status player may be considered somewhat concerning.

However, he put up the 9th most points by a 16-year old in the OHL in the last 25 years, only behind the likes of McDavid, Tavares X2, Stamkos, Hall, Derek Roy and Galchenyuk. He was also 8th at the Hlinka in scoring as an underager. I certainty wouldn't characterize that as a "weak" season. It may have been below expectation given his 15-year old season, but he outperformed other high-end OHLers in their 16-year old season (Marner, Seguin, O Reilly, Skinner, Konecny, Byfield, Perfetti, etc.) even with injury issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Breakfast of Champs

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
exceptional status player
I would not consider him a traditional exceptional status player either; he was denied initially, but (and this is just what I’ve heard from people aware of the situation, not what I know personally) after a strong OHL cup, OHF and hockey Canada awarded him exceptional status as there was some fear he would go the Chicago Steel->NCAA route. Still a top prospect and think what he’s shown to start the year is that, as an 07, he can be the best CHL forward prospect in this draft compared to late 06s like McQueen and Martone

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I take the point that having a lower ppg than the previous year and "only" producing 75 points as an exceptional status player may be considered somewhat concerning.

However, he put up the 9th most points by a 16-year old in the OHL in the last 25 years, only behind the likes of McDavid, Tavares X2, Stamkos, Hall, Derek Roy and Galchenyuk. He was also 8th at the Hlinka in scoring as an underager. I certainty wouldn't characterize that as a "weak" season. It may have been below expectation given his 15-year old season, but he outperformed other high-end OHLers in their 16-year old season (Marner, Seguin, O Reilly, Skinner, Konecny, Byfield, Perfetti, etc.) even with injury issues.

Not sure I would say he outperformed all of those guys. Being exceptional status means you have a year of experience under your belt and you should be so much more comfortable and prepared for your 16 year old year with 60+ plus games under your belt compared to a regular 16 year old coming straight out of U16. He also played more games last year than a typical 16 year old because he didn't miss time for the u17's. He also was playing on a stacked Mem Cup champ team, receiving more playing than most 16 year olds do in their first year because of his experience.

Staying in Saginaw for reference:

He scored 1 more than Perfetti in 4 more games with a year of experience under his belt.

Perfetti 74 points in 63 games - 1.17 ppg

Misa had 75 points in 67 games - 1.12 ppg

That being said, he obviously had a great season and is off to a torrid start to this year and will be a top pick in the draft.

Reactions: Finster8

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Not sure I would say he outperformed all of those guys. Being exceptional status means you have a year of experience under your belt and you should be so much more comfortable and prepared for your 16 year old year with 60+ plus games under your belt compared to a regular 16 year old coming straight out of U16. He also played more games last year than a typical 16 year old because he didn't miss time for the u17's. He also was playing on a stacked Mem Cup champ team, receiving more playing than most 16 year olds do in their first year because of his experience.

Staying in Saginaw for reference:

He scored 1 more than Perfetti in 4 more games with a year of experience under his belt.

Perfetti 74 points in 63 games - 1.17 ppg

Misa had 75 points in 67 games - 1.12 ppg

That being said, he obviously had a great season and is off to a torrid start to this year and will be a top pick in the draft.
All I am saying here is that, regardless of him receiving exceptional status, I don't think it is justified to claim that he had a weak season when he put together a top ten (statistical) 16-year old OHL season in the last 25 years while battling injuries.

It is not his fault that he was deemed worthy to play in the league at 15 when some of those others I cited weren't. We have no idea how they would've performed at 16 had they been given exceptional status; the OHL isn't an easy league to play in at 16. I can buy into those saying they expected more based on his 15-year old season, but I don't think it is fair to say he had a "weak" season.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
2 periods in, he has a goal. Let's hope he can get another point before the night is through.

Edit : Misa finished with a goal and the First Star. Not sure why Zayne Parekh wasn't the first star - 3 A + Shootout winner.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad