F Matvei Gridin - Muskegon Limberjacks, USHL (2024, 28th, CGY)

Dubcity

Feb 4, 2018
Name a pick Edmonton has taken outside the top 10 that has worked out in the past 20 years. Edmonton drafting someone almost certainly means you were wrong about them...
Unfortunately a recent one is Ryan McLeod and they somehow turned that 40th pick into a recent 9th overall

But don't mean to derail, I'm excited to see Gridin play in the CHL

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Unfortunately a recent one is Ryan McLeod and they somehow turned that 40th pick into a recent 9th overall

But don't mean to derail, I'm excited to see Gridin play in the CHL
A horrific trade by Buffalo. They traded a 9OA for a playoff healthy scratch.

Reactions: Dubcity

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
It’s not common a player goes from a better junior league to a worse junior league post-draft. Others might have a higher opinion of the QMJHL, but I personally think Gridin would’ve been better off just going off to Europe if he can’t play in the NCAA, WHL, or OHL.

USHL is just a bette league than the Q imo.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Name a pick Edmonton has taken outside the top 10 that has worked out in the past 20 years. Edmonton drafting someone almost certainly means you were wrong about them...
Oscar Klefbom was trending well until shoulder issues derailed his career.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You'd think a player having a historic season in his league would be more talked about and drafted higher, so why isn't that the case? Can anyone provide some necessary context, Is he not as good as the numbers suggest? Unsustainable play? In an ideal situation maybe?
Did you ignore that a few others this season in the same league were putting up a more historical season, at least from a points per game perspective? If Connelly, Swanson, and Hage played as many games as him, they likely would've had more points given their PPG's over a pretty big sample were better.

So yes, it is impressive, but it's in the context of it was the fourth best scoring season from a first year draft eligible this year in the league. Not as impressive.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not thrilled he's headed to the Q, to properly develop you need to be challenged. The Q is really at best about the same level as the USHL. The NCAA would have been better as far as learning to operate with limited time and space against grown.

Having now watched a lot of tape on him he makes it look easy, which is obviously good. But at the pro level there's very few guys that can make it look easy. If point production just comes naturally to a player you worry sometimes that they stagnate and don't work to round out their game.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Not thrilled he's headed to the Q, to properly develop you need to be challenged. The Q is really at best about the same level as the USHL. The NCAA would have been better as far as learning to operate with limited time and space against grown.

Having now watched a lot of tape on him he makes it look easy, which is obviously good. But at the pro level there's very few guys that can make it look easy. If point production just comes naturally to a player you worry sometimes that they stagnate and don't work to round out their game.
He would have gone major junior from the start if the CHL/Hockey Canada hadn't made that dumb Russian/Belarusian ban a couple years ago. He was never that committed to going NCAA.

Reactions: wetcoast

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He'll tear up the Q. I think it's the worst major junior league now. WHL and OHL have been better for 20+ years, but I'd say the USHL has passed them now too.

A lot of exagerration. There isn't much difference between all those leagues.

When Kucherov played in the Q at 19, he was a really good player of course, as he would have been in any CHL league, but he didn't destroy it or break any record. His team lost in the final against then 17-yo Jonathan Drouin, Nathan MacKinnon and Zach Fucale.

Since that year, the Q has won 5 out of 10 national championships (OHL 4, WHL 1).

Last edited:

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
At least in the Q he'll get double the amount of games he'd get in the NCAA, albeit against lesser talent (far lesser). He's a 3-5 year project so I don't hate the move to the Q, but without knowing the rules for AHL eligibility will he be able to play in the AHL as a 19 year old (after this upcoming season aka '25-'26)? If he has to play 2 years in the CHL before making the move up then yeah it's a poor choice not to go to NCAA route (grades aside).

He should be a 100 point player next year or I'd say he isn't progressing.

Reactions: wetcoast

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
A lot of exagerration. There isn't much difference between all those leagues.

When Kucherov played in the Q at 19, he was a really good player of course, as he would have been in any CHL league, but he didn't destroy it or break any record. His team lost in the final against then 17-yo Jonathan Drouin, Nathan MacKinnon and Zach Fucale.

Since that year, the Q has won 5 out of 10 national championships (OHL 4, WHL 1).
The Q does well in the Memorial Cup because the best teams load up and they're quite veteran heavy. The mid pack and worst teams in the Q are much worse than the mid pack and worst teams in the O and the Dub. I think that's more the point of comparison by most.

For example, I'd take Guelph and Prince Albert over Blainville Boisbriand every day of the week.

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
At least in the Q he'll get double the amount of games he'd get in the NCAA, albeit against lesser talent (far lesser). He's a 3-5 year project so I don't hate the move to the Q, but without knowing the rules for AHL eligibility will he be able to play in the AHL as a 19 year old (after this upcoming season aka '25-'26)? If he has to play 2 years in the CHL before making the move up then yeah it's a poor choice not to go to NCAA route (grades aside).

He should be a 100 point player next year or I'd say he isn't progressing.
Since he was drafted out of the USHL he is AHL eligible already.

Reactions: JPeeper

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
There should be a stickied post on the forum for prospects that breaks down basic rules for eligibility with CHL, Ushow, D1, euro leagues, etc

Reactions: Sticktape

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018
Yes I know the rules and the league Parekh plays for thank you. My question was how does it make sense. For anyone other than the CHL.
If you knew the rules then you wouldn’t be asking that question….

When Parekh put ink to paper, within the terms of his contract, he forfeits the right for his NHL team assign him to the AHL for a full season within those years.

In the USHL and Euro leagues, there is not that clause, hence why they are eligible for the AHL for a full season right away

Does it make sense to have that rule, say logically ? No , of course not, but that’s just how it is so the CHL doesn’t lose all its talent to the A right away

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

LeBrun is a Clown

Sep 19, 2018

When Parekh put ink to paper, within the terms of his contract, he forfeits the right for his NHL team assign him to the AHL for a full season within those years.

In the USHL and Euro leagues, there is not that clause, hence why they are eligible for the AHL for a full season right away

Does it make sense to have that rule, say logically ? No , of course not, but that’s just how it is so the CHL doesn’t lose all its talent to the A right away
That being said , I wonder if the best guys from the CHL went to the AHL right away, it would provide more opportunities for growth from overagers that are late bloomers that end up remaining in the CHL

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Does it make sense to have that rule, say logically ? No , of course not, but that’s just how it is

That's what I was trying to get to, although you're right I could have done so more directly. So apologies for that.

Not sure why the CHL gets such a sweet deal. I'm sure there an instances where a drafted prospect will benefit playing their 19 & 20 year old years in major junior but not every case is the same. An NHL ELC should supersede their bullshit teenager contract. The AHL gets no respect here but it is a pro league that plays a pro style. If the Flames and Parekh feel that he is too advanced for the Saginaw Spirit but not quite at an NHL level then he should be able to play for the farm team in 2025-26.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Time for the yearly CHL and AHL agreement talk. Should just have a thread on this board for it at this point. Ends up taking over so many prospect threads every year. This topic has been beaten to death and is beaten to death every year. Just google and I'm sure you can find countless discussions about it.

The current agreement runs through 2029 so its not changing anytime soon.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
That being said , I wonder if the best guys from the CHL went to the AHL right away, it would provide more opportunities for growth from overagers that are late bloomers that end up remaining in the CHL
The NHL gets free development from the CHL, which is the greatest feeder league they have. In order to get that, they've signed an agreement that protects the CHL.

The number of 18 year olds that would be better served in the AHL than in the CHL is miniscule, and arguably zero. Every year there are fans at want to see their team's newly drafted prospect in the AHL, and asks for a change to this agreement.... yet neither the NHL or CHL ever seek to change it.

After awhile you'd think the fans would get the point that the NHL wants it this way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad