F Matvei Gridin - Muskegon Limberjacks, USHL (2024, 28th, CGY)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My review of what I've watched from him this season. Has 25+32=57 points in 45 games (2nd in total points in the league).
His puck control, hands, coordination while receiving pucks is tremendous. Tremendous hockey sense and playmaking also. Good shooter. Doesn’t skate that bad and isn’t small. He’s better on his edges than his straight ahead speed. He’s pretty talented, but the track record of Russian forwards who’ve done their development in NA is terrible, and his speed, east-west slow it down style, defensive play, perimeter style could all hold him back. He’s scored a lot this season, but is it clear top 6 NHL offense? I don’t think it’s clear what he will become. I think combining some of the risks of the skillset with the awful track record of Russian forwards who’ve developed in NA, he’s a DND for me, but I’m sure someone will take a chance on him late first or at least second round.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Gridin is very dynamic in the offensive zone. Great shooter, high playmaking IQ, solid skater, and really good size. The concerns with him are everywhere else. His compete level is underwhelming. He will lose puck battles to some of the weaker players and doesn't give enough of a defensive effort.

I think he likely goes round 1. I prefer him to his teammate Boisvert because he has the potential to be a prominent point producer in the NHL

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
DND seems very harsh.. Specially when you go out of the top 2 rounds. All players are big maybes.
I think he goes early 2nd round.
Russian forwards that do their junior development in NA are a DND for me unless they are like a Svechnikov where they are so good that they are much more likely than most to beat the odds. Not saying Gridin doesn’t have a good profile if you can ignore the one huge red flag, but I look at the track record with that red flag and say not for me.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Not sure about these low compete guys. Most don’t seem to work out unless super talented and in right environment. Or if they compete when it matters, think Tarsenko. I’d rather take a guy like Luchanko or Berdnarik if all in same area.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Russian forwards that do their junior development in NA are a DND for me unless they are like a Svechnikov where they are so good that they are much more likely than most to beat the odds. Not saying Gridin doesn’t have a good profile if you can ignore the one huge red flag, but I look at the track record with that red flag and say not for me.

That's such an insanely dumb reason to be pessimistic about a player, let alone have someone on a DND list.

Here's the tiny list of Russians who have played in the USHL: Elite Prospects - USHL Stats All-time season

The only draft eligible Russians to be selected out of the USHL were Afanasyev, Firstov and Gushkin.

None of them were 1st round picks and should be expected to be NHLers, yet Afansyev looks like he'll develop into one in some capacity, Firstov could be one but is a longshot, and Gushkin is putting up impressive numbers in the AHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That's such an insanely dumb reason to be pessimistic about a player, let alone have someone on a DND list.

Here's the tiny list of Russians who have played in the USHL: Elite Prospects - USHL Stats All-time season

The only draft eligible Russians to be selected out of the USHL were Afanasyev, Firstov and Gushkin.

None of them were 1st round picks and should be expected to be NHLers, yet Afansyev looks like he'll develop into one in some capacity, Firstov could be one but is a longshot, and Gushkin is putting up impressive numbers in the AHL.
I said North America, not USHL. You’ve narrowed the pool way too much.

The only one whose had success recently is Svechnikov and he was almost too good to fail. But this discussion drags down threads often, so I don’t want to get into the same old debate that’s been had countless times in this section of the website.

Reactions: Dempsey

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I said North America, not USHL. You’ve narrowed the pool way too much.

The only one whose had success recently is Svechnikov and he was almost too good to fail. But this discussion drags down threads often, so I don’t want to get into the same old debate that’s been had countless times in this section of the website.
I mean you really narrowed the list here so you’re just holding a few players to a microscope. Barbashev was also a solid pick that doesn’t meet some “too good” criteria. And like Kucherov played in Canadian juniors but since he was already drafted that doesn’t count. That’s arbitrary and silly. There is no fundamental difference these days in development. Your point held more validity fifteen years ago.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The ice surface and the “style” are virtually identical everywhere in the world today. That was the historic concern with kids moving countries too young.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Sometimes with guys like this I'm unclear is his upside Gaudreau or Kerfoot?

Like with Powerfowards. Are you Iginla/Shanahan or Ethan Moreau.

I like this kid but just not sure is he Nic Petan, Jeremy Bracco or is he more dynamic at the pro level like Keller. Remains to be seen

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sometimes with guys like this I'm unclear is his upside Gaudreau or Kerfoot?

Like with Powerfowards. Are you Iginla/Shanahan or Ethan Moreau.

I like this kid but just not sure is he Nic Petan, Jeremy Bracco or is he more dynamic at the pro level like Keller. Remains to be seen
He’s 6’1. A little different from those players.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The ice surface and the “style” are virtually identical everywhere in the world today. That was the historic concern with kids moving countries too young.

Keep in mind, players going the NA route are experiencing a giant life transition at a crucial time in development. This tends to not work out well for most.

Put the shoe on the other foot. How many American/Canadian kids would properly develop if dropped in the middle Cherepovets at age 15-18?
Sure some kids have/can thrive, but it’s such an unnecessary risk to take.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Ended up leading the USHL in scoring with 83 points. Tied with Jaden Schwartz for 3rd ever by a U18 player in the tier 1 era of the USHL behind Cammarata and Celebrini. Tied with Cammarata for 2nd most goals at 38 behind Celebrini's 46 last year.

Statistically speaking, it was an all time season. Despite all this, I could see mixed opinions on him. He's the type to be fairly quiet for a good portion of the game then make two or three high skill plays and end the night with 2 points. Doesn't play with too much pace and doesn't have the skating to dominate on a shift to shift basis. Highly skilled though and likes to slow the game down. He can really snipe and I like his vision and hands.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the playoffs and how his game looks there. I think if you had insight into how teams ranked Gridin, Boisvert, Hage, and Mustard, you would see a lot different orders.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
One of my favorites for 2024, in major part because all he does is score, and no one talks about him. I like the fact he's committed to Michigan and think he will develop well there.

Reactions: Torts

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Interested to see if he sticks with Michigan, leverages his way to a particular CHL team, or just reports to whoever takes him high in the Import Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad