F Matvei Gridin - Muskegon Limberjacks, USHL (2024, 28th, CGY)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
So biggest knock on him is that he's Russian.

I can live with that
The biggest knock is his compete. You get that up a notch or two and you might have a 70 point player on your hands. Talent wise he's a top 20 pick, but there's some Grigorenko to his game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Farkas

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Posted this in his flames thread but he's 3rd in points and goals in USHL history among 17 year olds.

Ahead of everyone in this draft, and ahead of Fantilli, Boeser, Gaudreau, Kyle Connor's 17 year old seasons..

You'd think a player having a historic season in his league would be more talked about and drafted higher, so why isn't that the case? Can anyone provide some necessary context, Is he not as good as the numbers suggest? Unsustainable play? In an ideal situation maybe?

Last edited:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Can anyone provide some necessary context, Is he not as good as the numbers suggest? Unsustainable play? In an ideal situation maybe?
Supposedly it's a "lack of motor and intensity". But if this is the kind of season he's doing while half-assing it, can't wait to see what he does when he tries.

Reactions: Felidae

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Apparently he may not be going to Michigan as announced by ESPN last night. Do any CHL teams hold his rights or is he returning to Muskegon?

Is the AHL an option coming out of the USHL?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, there's been talk for over a month now that the U of M thing isn't gonna work out. I don't think anything is off the table with his next steps right now, depending on who you ask. The only one I haven't heard is "NHL" haha

Gun to my head, I think he finds his way into the OHL somehow. But I'm not putting any money on it.

I am a big fan of this player though. Would have been very comfortable taking him top 20...

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Not happy with this pick. Was hoping for O’Rielly and of course Edmonton takes him
Tbf O'Reilly is more the type of player that will complete an already good line up.

The offensive potential/ceiling is higher with Gridin. CGY will need some guys to carry the offense for the future. It's year 1 of their rebuild.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don’t really give a shit what they’ve done in the past. I would rather have O’Rielly than Gridin.
Based on what exactly? He was a lot less productive. He's smaller, less skilled and was carried by really strong linemates. Gridin drove his own line. He didn't play with Boisvert. O'Reilly is not close to as good as Gridin. He wasn't ranked as high as he was taken by a single scouting service and was ranked as a 3rd rounder by some.

Reactions: Reinhart

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1