F Kenta Isogai - Wenatchee Wild, WHL (2022 undrafted)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
A double-overage undersized winger with his level of production isn't going to even get a sniff in that range regardless of where he's from.

Actually not true. Islanders drafted a player from China a few years ago who was playing prep hockey. And Coyotes drafted a player from England just to say they drafted a player from England.

Not unheard of. From the posts on here Isogai sounds like a far more legitimate prospect at this point. And I'd imagine would draw fan interest in some of the Pacific coast markets.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Actually not true. Islanders drafted a player from China a few years ago who was playing prep hockey. And Coyotes drafted a player from England just to say they drafted a player from England.

Not unheard of. From the posts on here Isogai sounds like a far more legitimate prospect at this point. And I'd imagine would draw fan interest in some of the Pacific coast markets.
Andong Song was drafted in the sixth round in his first year of eligibility. Liam Kirk was drafted in the seventh round in his first year of eligibility, besides he was a legit prospect.

Reactions: DaveG

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
And Coyotes drafted a player from England just to say they drafted a player from England.
Like Albatros said, Kirk was a legit prospect and developed into a B-grade European pro which is a great career for the 7th rounder. And that's while dealing with pretty major injury issues at times. If anything, him being drafted in the 7th just reinforces the statement Isogai has little chance to be drafted until very late in the draft.

Reactions: DaveG

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
A double-overage undersized winger with his level of production isn't going to even get a sniff in that range regardless of where he's from.
Came here to say this.

At this point he might get a training camp look somewhere but no one is drafting him.

He is also a very slight player so the jump to the next level will be very hard for him.

That being said I hope he gets a shot and makes the most of it.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
At this point he might get a training camp look somewhere but no one is drafting him.
Many teams think 7th-rounders are basically useless - Islanders drafted the Chinese player for publicity, Devils drafted Brodeur's son for no real reason, So it isn't impossible. It is almost impossible anybody throws a pick of any real value for him though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Many teams think 7th-rounders are basically useless - Islanders drafted the Chinese player for publicity, Devils drafted Brodeur's son for no real reason, So it isn't impossible. It is almost impossible anybody throws a pick of any real value for him though.
Sure nothing is impossible but teams still are more likely to draft a player 2 years younger and hope.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
UFA eligible now. He was on people's radar back in the USHL, fell off a cliff, and then re-emerged this year with a big year in the Dub. I know Will Scouch has always been a huge Isogai supporter, even when he wasn't produced, since he was still doing little things pretty well while with the Youngstown Phantoms.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
UFA eligible now. He was on people's radar back in the USHL, fell off a cliff, and then re-emerged this year with a big year in the Dub. I know Will Scouch has always been a huge Isogai supporter, even when he wasn't produced, since he was still doing little things pretty well while with the Youngstown Phantoms.

Probably because he is ‘skilled’ and undersized.

He would rather take a flyer on this type of player versus someone who is more well known. That’s why I hardly pay attention to scouch

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I imagine he will get some looks for an ELC if he has a huge OA year in the WHL. Wenatchee got rid of Bukarts and only drafted one import slot so it appears Isogai will almost assuredly be filling an OA + import slot for the Wild.

Whether he remains there all year is probably questionable as that roster looks like it is in for a huge rebuild with no drafted NHL prospects and not a lot of returning talent.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I imagine he will get some looks for an ELC if he has a huge OA year in the WHL. Wenatchee got rid of Bukarts and only drafted one import slot so it appears Isogai will almost assuredly be filling an OA + import slot for the Wild.

Whether he remains there all year is probably questionable as that roster looks like it is in for a huge rebuild with no drafted NHL prospects and not a lot of returning talent.
The bottom line though is that he is really slight and there are other OG guys who in general might translate better to the NHL if they make it and the chances for this kid are extremely small.

Honestly I think that he would have problems in the AHL nevermind the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad