F John Mustard - Waterloo Black Hawks, USHL (2024, 67th, CHI)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Yeah. He definitely can be. There's been games where I don't know if he willingly passed the puck one time. It's a bit of a trend with some of these new era skill guys.

But man, the release. How he can shoot the puck. The ability to shoot in stride. It's well above average if not bordering on high end. The hands are good, some real nice flashes over the season. The size/speed combo checks out. He measured 6'1 at the combine. Above average speed. Plays with pace. There's a lot to like here skill wise. I see shades of Carter Verhaeghe when I watch Mustard play.

What I'm wondering is what happens as he advances levels and he's the 2nd or 3rd best player on his line. My hope would be that he learns to use his teammates more as he's surrounding by more talent.

His points don't jump out at you like some of the others, but I'd be interested to see ice time stats for the USHL. I have no way to verify this, but my sense watching the games was that Mustard wasn't getting the same ice time or powerplay time that guys like Connelly/Hage were. I could be wrong on that.

Draft wise, I'd be very happy to get him in the 2nd round. You have a talented player with a steep upward development curve. August birthday. I really like the upside here.

Providence will be interesting to watch next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: VikingAv

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
He was using his teammates a little bit more early in the season, before he had the confidence in his game. I do wish that he went on to find some more balance between playmaking ad shooting in the second half of the year. I greatly value a legit balanced attacker over the alternative.

Mustard didn't have big ice time. Guys like Connelly play 5, 6, 7 minutes more per game than Mustard.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
He was using his teammates a little bit more early in the season, before he had the confidence in his game. I do wish that he went on to find some more balance between playmaking ad shooting in the second half of the year. I greatly value a legit balanced attacker over the alternative.

Mustard didn't have big ice time. Guys like Connelly play 5, 6, 7 minutes more per game than Mustard.
Makes you think if he got perhaps too confident in himself going from basically a nobody to seeing his name all over draft lists. Or if that's the 'real' Mustard once he really settled in at this level.

The ice time numbers mesh with what I was observing. The points/60 arguments can get flawed very quickly, but he was at least was closer to some of those top guys than what a quick glance at the stats would suggest.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Untitled-9.png

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes