GDT: Free Agency Day 1: You're from Boston? Come on down

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only difference made by Jake's absence is Sid's PPG season streak is probably cooked. That's it. They'll be worse, they'll get a better pick, but Jake was here for two straight playoff misses. That dude can enjoy live in Tampa and playing alongside Kuch, but I won't miss that dork at all. He wasn't a difference maker now, nor a guy that should've been kept long-term for the BFF feel good aspect. Just wish Dubas would've traded him to NYR for the rumored Othmann return.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The only difference made by Jake's absence is Sid's PPG season streak is probably cooked. That's it. They'll be worse, they'll get a better pick, but Jake was here for two straight playoff misses. That dude can enjoy live in Tampa and playing alongside Kuch, but I won't miss that dork at all. He wasn't a difference maker now, nor a guy that should've been kept long-term for the BFF feel good aspect. Just wish Dubas would've traded him to NYR for the rumored Othmann return.

Right now our top six is...

Beauvillier - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Malkin - Rakell

That is like.. 05-06 Penguins with Sid and Malkin filling the Leclair / Recchi roles.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Guentzel is a borderline elite LW but I think people are overstating the impact that he had on the top line being great.

Crosby had 42 points in 32 games last year after Guentzel's last game with the Penguins. Over a pretty large sample size, Crosby has never had any issues producing with or without Guentzel. It's just a question of how long that lasts.

The top line is definitely worse by not having Guentzel, but I think it's going from "great" to "good" rather than "great" to "bad". It also depends on who actually plays LW with Crosby next year, they still have a lot of cap space and that spot is really the only spot left open.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

That is like.. 05-06 Penguins with Sid and Malkin filling the Leclair / Recchi roles.

I think it id more likely DOC ends up on the 1st line, at least to start the year.

Reactions: Jacob

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Why did you say Guentzel was replaced by a healthy scratch? Is Bunting a healthy scratch?

Thats wild that you're "befuddled" by anyone who thinks this team doesnt suck. What is your definition of suck? Is your definition a team who missed the playoffs by 3 points with an abysmal powerplay and a positive goal differential? I would call that pretty damn close to "mediocre" rather than sucking
Where were you when we were arguing about the Conn Smythe?

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I think Guentzel is a borderline elite LW but I think people are overstating the impact that he had on the top line being great.

Crosby had 42 points in 32 games last year after Guentzel's last game with the Penguins. Over a pretty large sample size, Crosby has never had any issues producing with or without Guentzel. It's just a question of how long that lasts.
That's not a terrible point. Especially considering the postpartum fortnight Crosby and Co. suffered after the trade.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Okay. No argument. Who cares? What's the difference between being a borderline WC team with zero shot at competing and being a team that's a clear bottom-10 finish? They've been losers for years.

They've decided they're gonna lean into losing. Good. We've all bitched about these half-measures for a while.

I'm sure Sid's been briefed on the plan. It's up to him to decide whether or not he wants to retire here or chase a Cup in Colorado or something.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Looking at some of the rosters at the moment, couple are a bit bizzaire, starting with Detroit- 7 forwards, 6 dmen, 4 goalies.

Ducks still $8mil from the floor but plenty more slots to sign.
Colorado needs 3F, 1D with $6mil in space.
Buffalo needs a lot of guys but has a lot of space.

Ducks might be a good suggestion for Graves. Tons of youth on there and they need to get the floor. Buffalo seems primed for a Eller or Acciari addition for a Minny's 4th. Detroit could take a guy or two as well.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hopefully it's someone like Pinto, who may be young enough to still be of use once this team's had time to rebuild a bit. Doubt it's anything more than like a DOC or Puustinen level guy though.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad