F Javon Moore - Minnetonka High, USHS-MN (2024, 112th, OTT)

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I get your point and he played on one of the best high school hockey teams in years, but it still speaks to his lack of offense. You can fourth line your way to the NHL. Hard to see a player who was scoring like that as a late birthday draft eligible having enough offense for higher than fourth line though.
PB I get where you are coming from but he is clearly a project pick. Most 4th rounders are long shots at the NHL level to begin with. If Moore is 5'11 he probably isn't drafted. He is 6'5, athletic and skates well. He provided enough offense to warrant someone taking a flyer on him, it's not like he is inept offensively. Teams know he won't be making it as a top 6 guy at the pro level. Best case scenario he turns into a big body that moves well and can play up and down the lineup.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Friendly reminder Pavel that the late birthdays are commonly the best players in Minnesota since late(r) birthdays are the oldest or just on the older side of the school year grouping, as is the case in most of the States.
I have been around MN hockey my entire life and never heard anyone say this. Zero to it.

The December 05 bdays started playing hockey with there May 06 buddies and have played the same amount of hockey growing up. There is no advantage to being a late bday in Minnesota.

It's actually harder for late bdays because they need to make NTDP after their 9th grade year which is tough, if they want to go that route. And they have to play selects against many kids a grade up.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I have been around MN hockey my entire life and never heard anyone say this. Zero to it.

The December 05 bdays started playing hockey with there May 06 buddies and have played the same amount of hockey growing up. There is no advantage to being a late bday in Minnesota.

It's actually harder for late bdays because they need to make NTDP after their 9th grade year which is tough, if they want to go that route. And they have to play selects against many kids a grade up.
Being a late(r) birthday means you're one of the oldest in your school year grouping in the States. While a US born October 2007 would be disadvantaged competing in birthyear minor hockey against January and February 2007s, they would be amongst the oldest in the class of 2026, whereas a May 2008 would be relatively older for the 2008 birthyear for minor hockey, but the youngest in the class of 2026. Much different situation than in Canada.

If the December 2005s are playing bantam minor hockey with the May 2006s, then there would be a developmental advantage for those 2005s like Moore by simply being older.

I will note that what I bolded in your comment is very true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad