F James Hagens - USNTDP Juniors, USHL (2025 Draft)

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
You very well might be right in the end, but if he has a mediocre or even just good season and Martone blows everyone out of the water, he could go 2OA. Or even 3OA if Frondell has an incredible season and worlds, etc. To know for a FACT in July is just a bit too confident, even if it's the most likely scenario.

I understand that the vast majority salivate over a 6'3'' player. But the only way I see Hagens being 2OA is if he has a season under 1.3ppg and Martone blows the CHL over 2ppg, that's not going to happen. Otherwise, some GMS, due to this "horniness" in tall and skilled players, may pass it, which would be a huge mistake in the long run.
I repeat, Hagens is closer to Celebrini than many are capable of admitting.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hagens and Celebrini were pretty much similarly viewed going into their draft-seasons. Different players, but talking about overall I think they were similarly viewed. Favorite to go 1OA, but not impossible someone could challenge them.

Celebrini's already had his and it went very well.

We'll see how it goes for Hagens, but I think with a player like him the chances are that it will go very well.

Reactions: JotAlan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I understand that the vast majority salivate over a 6'3'' player. But the only way I see Hagens being 2OA is if he has a season under 1.3ppg and Martone blows the CHL over 2ppg, that's not going to happen. Otherwise, some GMS, due to this "horniness" in tall and skilled players, may pass it, which would be a huge mistake in the long run.
OK, all those things can be true, I was just saying it's a bit of an overstatement to say "the only way he's not going 1OA is if he's injured or completely blows his season." I even said that it seems like the most likely scenario that he has a good year and goes 1OA, I just don't feel as confident as you do that this will definitely happen.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Wonder how many points he puts up for BC this year
I predict he is top 2/3 in scoring and is one of the front runners for the hobey baker.

Believe him, Ryan Leonard, Gabe Perrault and Dean Letourneau are all on the same team this year. They’re all going to put up a ton of points.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Don’t think Martone gets 2ppg but I think he raises the eyes of a LOT of people while being a guy that’s 6’3 incredibly skilled, will play with grit etc. I see a LOT of Matthew Tkachuk in him. I predict 90-100 pts if he doesn’t make WJC team. Brampton will be really good.

I think Hagens goes 1, but Martone and Frondell battle it out for 2 and 3. Misa will likely go top 5- roger McQueen another chl guy is someone to look at- he looks like a 5-10 guy now but 6’6 good well rounded player- may put up a good 70-80 points this year. Brandon’s gonna be a lot better I think and this Jaxon Jacobson kid they got coming in looks like one of the front runners for #1 in 2027. If he comes in and plays out of his mind- that may boost mcqueen up a few spots.

My mock 5 right now is:

1 Hagens
2 Frondell
3 Martone
4 Ryabkin
5 Misa

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I put together shift by shift video of his two summer showcase games so far.

Thanks for this! caveats that it's summer etc etc etc... my thoughts
  • Fits right into the Smith spot on the Leonard/Perreault line, they're gonna rip this year.
  • Maybe it's recency bias or maybe it's just the strong impact of Perreault/Leonard but it's pretty easy to directly compare the Smith vs Hagens contribution. Hagens is faster and more explosive than Smith, similarly tenacious on the forecheck, more defensively engaged and responsible, but made more mistakes e.g. on the breakout/NZ transition. A fair few giveaways at his own blue line or at the hashes that will get punished at higher levels. Doing all this before a day of his freshman year, though.
  • Willing to mix it up, was definitely a "pest" on his shifts vs SWE.
  • Good in the dot, a good sign especially at his size/age.
  • Generally quieter game vs FIN even though he scored.
Other sidenotes: Leonard still playing a lot of hero hockey - his year may look a bit like Gauthier last year where he's got the edge on skill/strength/speed and so he just tries to do a lot himself because why not. Bit of a tweener -- maybe he needed a half an extra year in the NCAA but it feels like the full year is maybe too much? ... Perreault always looks dangerous but/and he and Leonard are also due for some bonehead turnovers just because they're playing around out there, but will need to cut that out to make smarter plays at higher levels ... Buium popped esp on the PP, looked v comfortable running point. Hensler didn't pop much in either game for me but he also didn't seem to be matched with the Hagens line very much, so not a lot of footage.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Thanks for this! caveats that it's summer etc etc etc... my thoughts
  • Fits right into the Smith spot on the Leonard/Perreault line, they're gonna rip this year.
  • Maybe it's recency bias or maybe it's just the strong impact of Perreault/Leonard but it's pretty easy to directly compare the Smith vs Hagens contribution. Hagens is faster and more explosive than Smith, similarly tenacious on the forecheck, more defensively engaged and responsible, but made more mistakes e.g. on the breakout/NZ transition. A fair few giveaways at his own blue line or at the hashes that will get punished at higher levels. Doing all this before a day of his freshman year, though.
  • Willing to mix it up, was definitely a "pest" on his shifts vs SWE.
  • Good in the dot, a good sign especially at his size/age.
  • Generally quieter game vs FIN even though he scored.
Other sidenotes: Leonard still playing a lot of hero hockey - his year may look a bit like Gauthier last year where he's got the edge on skill/strength/speed and so he just tries to do a lot himself because why not. Bit of a tweener -- maybe he needed a half an extra year in the NCAA but it feels like the full year is maybe too much? ... Perreault always looks dangerous but/and he and Leonard are also due for some bonehead turnovers just because they're playing around out there, but will need to cut that out to make smarter plays at higher levels ... Buium popped esp on the PP, looked v comfortable running point. Hensler didn't pop much in either game for me but he also didn't seem to be matched with the Hagens line very much, so not a lot of footage.
Pretty much agreed with all of these assessments based on live viewings, obviously very small samples to take anything as gospel. I will just add my opinion that I think Celebrini looked significantly ahead of him at this time last year and is who I would prefer as a prospect at this point, since he was being discussed recently.

Hagens has a lot of strong qualities throughout his game, really impressed by his defensive commitment and the edgework that he has, both ++ relative to his peers. I do have some concerns about physicality and want to see his shot on display more before I fully anoint him 1st overall. His progression this year will be very important in my opinion, how much growth he can find in his game will be very telling about his future potential as a premier NHLer, right now, it looks like he would be hard pressed to make the NHL immediately.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

Elite Prospects falling victim to their own confusing stat keeping, Hagens didn’t drop a 170pt season lol. There needs to be public PSA on how to read NTDP stats

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad