F James Hagens - Boston College(2025 Draft)

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
While I'm not debating the fact that Hagens and Eiserman are two very impressive hockey players we need to remember that they should be dominant. They are playing for a stacked team that has been playing together for a couple of months unlike the others. It makes it easier for them to do what they do best as they have solid lines and defensive pairings behind them. They only need to worry about putting the puck in the net, nothing else. They are very good at doing that.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
While I'm not debating the fact that Hagens and Eiserman are two very impressive hockey players we need to remember that they should be dominant. They are playing for a stacked team that has been playing together for a couple of months unlike the others. It makes it easier for them to do what they do best as they have solid lines and defensive pairings behind them. They only need to worry about putting the puck in the net, nothing else. They are very good at doing that.
While this is a common argument against NTDP players and comes up during the WJC etc., I agree to an extant. In terms or comparing USA players performances with that of other teams in this tournament, sure it should be taken into account. But we can also compare these performances to tournament history and all-time performances here, where Hagens and Eiserman are both on pace to break the points and goals record. It’s not just comparing them to other teams who have only been together a couple weeks, it’s comparing them against the historical best ever performances . Also compare them to past NTDP teams which all had the same advantages.

Last edited:

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Future London Knight
It's going to be interesting to see what he decides to do. Will he follow the Pat Kane path? Go to college (he hasn't committed to one yet) or follow the Auston Matthews route and play pro in Europe during his draft year? I'm sure there will be a gazillion posts about it over the next couple years.

Reactions: wetcoast

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Jiggs pretty much nailed it with his post but just to add, one of the reasons Hagens is looked at being so special is he isn't just an offensive juggernaut. He is really well developed in his own zone, knows how to support his defense and is a primary penalty killer. He's an all situations type player

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Future London Knight

I don’t get the allure for a player like Hagens of playing CHL.

It’d actually probably be the stupidest thing he could do.

This is all about positioning himself for his draft year now, considering he won’t be at the NTDP that season.

Why would he go somewhere that would take away his chance to play AHL right after being drafted? There’s not a discernible enough difference between playing for London Knights or Chicago Steel to take away that very valuable option.

Because as good as Hagens is, look at Hughes. Hagens is better and likely ends up a little taller, but he’s similarly pretty weak for his size. If he shows up to the NHL at 160 pounds, he might struggle his first season m, and having the AHL option could be helpful.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

This is all about positioning himself for his draft year now, considering he won’t be at the NTDP that season.

Why would he go somewhere that would take away his chance to play AHL right after being drafted? There’s not a discernible enough difference between playing for London Knights or Chicago Steel to take away that very valuable option.

Because as good as Hagens is, look at Hughes. Hagens is better and likely ends up a little taller, but he’s similarly pretty weak for his size. If he shows up to the NHL at 160 pounds, he might struggle his first season m, and having the AHL option could be helpful.
You could ask Patrick Kane that question and he would probably say the high-profile of playing for a team like London in the CHL helped boost (or at least solidify) his draft stock. He stepped right into the NHL as a 19-year-old and didn't have to worry about that CHL-NHL agreement that keeps players out of the AHL. (Hagens, like Kane is a late birthday, so will be 18 in his draft year, too.)

Hagens will have an extra year to develop before his draft year that Hughes didn't because he was drafted right after his U18 season. Because of this, I think it's better to draw parallels to Kane, than Hughes.

You say there's not a discernible enough difference between Chicago and London for developing players, yet history doesn't support you. While the USHL has really improved its depth of talent lately (and Chicago is a model franchise in that league) I am struggling to find the name of a player who went straight from the USHL to the NHL at 19. There are many players who have gone from the CHL to the NHL at 19 and quite a few who've even done it at the age of 18. (Before anyone jumps all over me, I'm not bashing the USHL. It has a long proven history of developing players who go to college and play in the NHL. There just haven't been many -- or any -- who have gone directly from that league to the NHL. (If anyone knows of such a player, I'm sure someone will let me know and I will appreciate that.)

This is not to say that Hagens could NOT do that, but how can you wonder about the allure of a proven development path and suggest one that few -- if anyone -- have ever taken? I guess if you really think that he'll need that year in the AHL at 19 then it's worth considering, but I would have to say that USHL is a distant fourth in his draft-year options behind European pro, college and CHL.

There are definitely good arguments to be made for NCAA or pro in Europe, but it's not inconceivable or foolish of him to be considering the CHL route.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You could ask Patrick Kane that question and he would probably say the high-profile of playing for a team like London in the CHL helped boost (or at least solidify) his draft stock. He stepped right into the NHL as a 19-year-old and didn't have to worry about that CHL-NHL agreement that keeps players out of the AHL. (Hagens, like Kane is a late birthday, so will be 18 in his draft year, too.)

Hagens will have an extra year to develop before his draft year that Hughes didn't because he was drafted right after his U18 season. Because of this, I think it's better to draw parallels to Kane, than Hughes.

You say there's not a discernible enough difference between Chicago and London for developing players, yet history doesn't support you. While the USHL has really improved its depth of talent lately (and Chicago is a model franchise in that league) I am struggling to find the name of a player who went straight from the USHL to the NHL at 19. There are many players who have gone from the CHL to the NHL at 19 and quite a few who've even done it at the age of 18. (Before anyone jumps all over me, I'm not bashing the USHL. It has a long proven history of developing players who go to college and play in the NHL. There just haven't been many -- or any -- who have gone directly from that league to the NHL. (If anyone knows of such a player, I'm sure someone will let me know and I will appreciate that.)

This is not to say that Hagens could NOT do that, but how can you wonder about the allure of a proven development path and suggest one that few -- if anyone -- has ever taken? I guess if you really think that he'll need that year in the AHL at 19 then it's worth considering, but I would have to say that USHL is a distant fourth in his draft-year options behind European pro, college and CHL.

There are definitely good arguments to be be made for college or pro in Europe, but it's not inconceivable or foolish of him to be considering the CHL route.

Kane is at the end of his career. If he was at the beginning, would he have chose London?

As I said, the difference, if there’s any, is small. It’s not enough that it’d make sense for Hagens to play there. If there’s any difference, it’s in the league, not the team. Do you think Hagens even knows the history of London Knights? I don’t think it’s the same pull for Americans as it is for kids from Ontario.

Hagens could go anywhere he wants, and most likely he’ll be too good for junior hockey at that point. Look back to the past guy who was in that position as a late birthday, Lafreniere. There were questions if he’d leave the Q his draft year to play in Europe and it’s never been done in a normal year for a Canadian player. So why would playing that level of hockey help Hagens?

It probably makes most sense for him to go NCAA or Europe for a year. Those are higher levels of hockey than junior, and probably a better life experience than junior. However, if he’s going to play his draft year in junior the one thing it makes no sense to do is take away the AHL option. He probably won’t need it, but he might. The last few years have shown us that these players often need it.

I can not come up with one good reason why he should play for the London Knights right now, but I won’t say that can’t change.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Oh man....if the Knights could get this kid and somehow draft Ryan Roobroeck in the spring.

Hagens, Roobroeck and Dickinson in the future. Stacked.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

You HATE the CHL eh?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
No, I don’t think it makes any sense. Who had the rights of Eichel and Matthews? Should they have joined those teams?
He's already averaging more than two points per game against USHL competition at the age of 16. Granted it's a limited sample size (12 points in five games) but it's a pretty safe bet he'll have outgrown the USHL by his draft year, so playing there doesn't make any sense either.

He'll need a challenge like NCAA or European pro -- playing against bigger, older players. Some have suggested he might want to go to Harvard and play with his brother, but we'll have to wait and see.

Regardless of where he chooses to play, he's going to be damn fun to watch.

2 more goals tonight, both set up by Eiserman. Dude just doesn't stop.
He is so fun to watch. I love his motor. Kid doesn't take a shift off and he's so smart he's always involved with the play. As much as people rave about his offence, his defensive awareness and positioning is also very good.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd be surprised if he's even considering Harvard, especially given the added difficulties of accelerating to join them early compared to any other school. If he was so set on playing with his brother, who he hasn't played on the same team with in a long time, he would have just signed a tender with Chicago instead of joining the NTDP.

He knows how good he is, he knows he could go #1 overall in 2025, and he knows he is likely staring down NHL stardom. I imagine he'll prioritize his development.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He is so fun to watch. I love his motor. Kid doesn't take a shift off and he's so smart he's always involved with the play. As much as people rave about his offence, his defensive awareness and positioning is also very good.

Yeah, he's so far ahead of some of the guys (i.e. Kane, Hughes, Zegras) he gets compared to during their NTDP U17 seasons when it comes to his 200 foot game. He's very well rounded for an offensive dynamo who only turned 16 five days ago.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
He’s got a little bit of that Zegras cockiness too. Multiple times was chirping or staring down Canadian players. Last game he went to skate by past the Canadians bench after his goal and the ref turned him back. Cellys every goal.
Yeah, I noticed the other night he was chirping Misa quita bit. Think he knows that he's also a top prospect for the 2025 draft? ;)

Reactions: JiggsNY

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Lol yes being from the area, hearing the announcer pronounce Happauge last night was hilarious. He said it as Hep-O-gee. When it’s just Hop-ohg. I’m sure that will be a running theme forever going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki