F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm sure Canadiens wasn't the only team Michkov didn't want to play for. Why pick such a player?
I hate when people say things that have no factual basis just to justify things.
The only word ever spoken about teams he didn't wanna play for was Arizona due to their arena and overall situation and even that isn't known for sure.

The more likely scenario but unconfirmed is the simple fact that he had a three year contract and had already signed a longer deal at 16 than most Russian prospects do which led to fear that he might follow the Kaprizov approach which is why he fell all the way to the fifth round. In truth he had a chance at 16 to help his family despite delaying his very obvious intent to play in the NHL.

The rumour he only wanted to play for the flyers is silly and nothing more than pillow talk, tho I'm sure he was a fan and was excited to get drafted by them. Nothing this kid has ever said pointed to him holding any team hostage and was simply put out there by others for obvious reasons.

Hell if you wanna go tinfoil I'd have no problem believing teams passed on him because of the fact Russia invaded Ukraine and we're either worried about the optics, are woke, or were worried that he would be held against his will forcing him to play or end up in Siberia. Only half joking on that last part since some are convinced that because of one stupid action taking place suddenly Russia is North Korea or Etiria.

The simple fact is by every single measure including international tournaments, (especially international tournaments) he should have went 2nd overall.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I hate when people say things that have no factual basis just to justify things.
The only word ever spoken about teams he didn't wanna play for was Arizona due to their arena and overall situation and even that isn't known for sure.

The more likely scenario but unconfirmed is the simple fact that he had a three year contract and had already signed a longer deal at 16 than most Russian prospects do which led to fear that he might follow the Kaprizov approach which is why he fell all the way to the fifth round. In truth he had a chance at 16 to help his family despite delaying his very obvious intent to play in the NHL.

The rumour he only wanted to play for the flyers is silly and nothing more than pillow talk, tho I'm sure he was a fan and was excited to get drafted by them. Nothing this kid has ever said pointed to him holding any team hostage and was simply put out there by others for obvious reasons.

Hell if you wanna go tinfoil I'd have no problem believing teams passed on him because of the fact Russia invaded Ukraine and we're either worried about the optics, are woke, or were worried that he would be held against his will forcing him to play or end up in Siberia. Only half joking on that last part since some are convinced that because of one stupid action taking place suddenly Russia is North Korea or Etiria.

The simple fact is by every single measure including international tournaments, (especially international tournaments) he should have went 2nd overall.
4 points this afternoon for Demidov.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Michkov's agent told the media that Michkov did not want to play for Arizona and Washington

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
What do you mean by that? He just said Demidov will be a better player. How is that « slagging another player »
Why mention Michkov at all if not to degrade the player ? In a Demi thread no less; It’s forced . At this rate he could challenge the formers ppg / pt total from last year . Impressive stuff

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
why? Demidov has shown he is one of the most skilled Russian prospects since AO. With the reports that SKA tried to sign him and he refused, we know they started cutting his TOI down to under 7 mins a game and they took him off the 2nd PP unit despite him clearly showing he's one of their most skilled players. He was at a .8 ppg at the time, the KHL record for U-20 pts is held by Kaprisov who did it with a .86 ppg, so with limited PP time and 3rd line TOI he was on pace to challenge the KHL record for U-20 pts. But somehow thinking he might be more skilled and smarter then Mickov is a horrific take? I can see disagreeing but a horrific take? clearly not.
We just ignoring Michkov 41 pts in 47 games now ? Works out to .87 ppg …unless there is some strange cutoff being used.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
God forbid someone prefers one player over another, if you do you're just slagging on his counterpart, or better yet, it's a "horrible take".

How dare anyone question Michkov's superiority. I don't know how anyone who watches them both play, can say one is unequivocally better than the other, there's very little between them. They both have outstanding futures ahead of themselves,

It literally comes down to preference to which player you'd rather enjoy on the ice or your team.

For me, because I don't think alot will separate them in terms of production, that just from an aesthetic point of view, I'd take Demidov. He's just far more entertaining imo.

As a hab fan I'd like both on my team, but I'm not going there. :sarcasm:
For me it’s because Demidov plays more of a two-way game, is bigger and faster, and plays more in the dirty areas. It’s doesn’t look like there’s any difference in offensive skill at this point either, with a possible edge starting to develop for Demidov. Easy choice for me.

We all know that points against Kunlun do not count
Basically free points, but he did what he was supposed to do.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I didn't watch the game but it's nice to see he had a big game. I watched a game about a week ago where SKA got a 5 minute PP followed by a 2 minute PP almost immediately after the major expired. Demidov did not get any ice time during those 7 minutes of PP - I couldn't believe it. Hopefully the coach stops holding his contract situation against him and gives him some PP time.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
I didn't watch the game but it's nice to see he had a big game. I watched a game about a week ago where SKA got a 5 minute PP followed by a 2 minute PP almost immediately after the major expired. Demidov did not get any ice time during those 7 minutes of PP - I couldn't believe it. Hopefully the coach stops holding his contract situation against him and gives him some PP time.

On his team he is tied for 3rd in points and is 24th in ice time per game.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Since you watch the entire game I guess you'd be the one to ask, I heard that for a brief bit Demidov and Gritsyuk were together on the ice. How did they look?

that video in your quote is from the previous game, in today's game it was a very short shift and then they scored, I may have missed a few seconds cause I was caught by surprise that they put Demidov on a different line.

you can see them at the 3:26 mark though it's really short.

Reactions: Xirik

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Why mention Michkov at all if not to degrade the player ? In a Demi thread no less; It’s forced . At this rate he could challenge the formers ppg / pt total from last year . Impressive stuff
Because the OP compared two 18 years old who played in the same league in their D+1 and has a similar talent level.

But again, this is irrelevant. What’s relevant is how you decided Michkov was a victim and slandered because one fan said he liked Demidov better as if this was an outrageous take.

Grow up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

that was pain to watch as I couldn't believe he wouldn't use him even once during the 7 minutes of PP time. His ave PP TOI this season is 0:34 and during 5 on 3's it's 0:00. With that he's 5 pts off the league lead in points.

Reactions: danisonfire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad