F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Yeah, I see a little more Kucherov in the way of making big brain moves that no one anticipates than Crosby. I think Demidov lacks that power game that Crosby has. I suppose there are some similarities, but I don't personally think they're great comparables. Granted we're discussing two (three) pretty unique players.
I’ve heard the Kucherov comparison before and I just don’t see it, tbh. Kucherov is much more of a cerebral, slow the game down, wait for an opening type of offensive player - surgical in that aspect in fact. He’s mastered it.

I don’t really see that in Demidov’s game to nearly the same degree (stylistically, not just ability). Demidov is much more tenacity, pace, and downright audacity, if we’re being honest. He makes things happen and persues the plays he wants, whereas Kucherov kind of slows things down and picks opponents apart. There’s some overlap in their games, I guess, but their approach is much different, from what I’ve seen.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I’ve heard the Kucherov comparison before and I just don’t see it, tbh. Kucherov is much more of a cerebral, slow the game down, wait for an opening type of offensive player - surgical in that aspect in fact. He’s mastered it.

I don’t really see that in Demidov’s game to nearly the same degree (stylistically, not just ability). Demidov is much more tenacity, pace, and downright audacity, if we’re being honest. He makes things happen and persues the plays he wants, whereas Kucherov kind of slows things down and picks opponents apart. There’s some overlap in their games, I guess, but their approach is much different, from what I’ve seen.
I don't mean that as a holistic comparison. I'm speaking only about their ability to make creative moves that no one would ever expect. Basically, none of those three are real comparables, despite (as you say), some overlap between skills.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't mean that as a holistic comparison. I'm speaking only about their ability to make creative moves that no one would ever expect. Basically, none of those three are real comparables, despite (as you say), some overlap between skills.
Yeah, it’s tough to pinpoint a really satisfactory stylistic comparison for this guy; there may not be one. In any case, seeing flashes of these players in his game certainly isn’t a bad thing.

Reactions: CanadienShark

Kiirin

Apr 2, 2023
We is the fanbase but top 4 defenseman is what they had in mind when they drafted him and even Hughes said it himself after that draft.

Why people keep bringing Reinbacher in that discussion...?

Let's close this topic up or start posting on his own thread but let me tell you, if you can get a crazy good legit top 4 defenseman with a 14th overall-25th overall pick sign me up! Any names? Habs could even offer both 1st pick for one. They are not as easy getting as you would make it seems.
The management had Seider/Pietrangelo in mind when they picked Reinbacher whom both are considered 1st pairing defensemen who can log around 20 to 25 minutes a night. There's no way they passed on Michkov for a kid with the ceiling of Kaiden Guhle or Colton Parayko(as much as I like them)

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

To me , he looks more like a smaller Malkin stylistically.

Reactions: kp61c

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
To me , he looks more like a smaller Malkin stylistically.
Likewise. He reminds me, stylistically, of a blend between Malkin and Kaprizov.

Ironically, if Kapanen is still wearing #91 when Demidov arrives next season, I hope he takes #97!

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Because it’s valid when another team said they preferred the bigger guy playing a more important position but when it’s Montreal, this argument is not valid. Our 6’4 RHD prospect is also a bust if he can’t win a top 4 spot out of camp in his D+2
Hehe

Nemec is better prospect than Reinbacher.

And Michkov is many times better prospect than Cooley.

Nemec is much closer to Cooley than Reinbacher to Michkov.

Comparing this two cases is just a huge mistake. Nemec could be penciled as a right and understandable pick, Reinbacher will never be and never was. Even if Cooley or Nemec were available- both were very bad picks to draft by 5th pick in 2023.

It was as a bad ir even worser as drafting Dickinson over Demidov - with need or without it, with Michkov or with anyone.

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Hehe

Nemec is better prospect than Reinbacher.

And Michkov is many times better prospect than Cooley.

Nemec is much closer to Cooley than Reinbacher to Michkov.

Comparing this two cases is just a huge mistake. Nemec could be penciled as a right and understandable pick, Reinbacher will never be and never was. Even if Cooley or Nemec were available- both were very bad picks to draft by 5th pick in 2023.

It was as a bad ir even worser as drafting Dickinson over Demidov - with need or without it, with Michkov or with anyone.
Reinbacher was #5 on most of final lists while Nemec was 2-5 on most lists.

Dickinson didn’t go before Demidov so I’m not sure what you’re referencing to.

You’re out of your mind if you call a winner after their D+2 camp not even being done. It’s like last year when people called Slafkovsky a bust and how Cooley should have been #1. Things can change fast at this age

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Reinbacher was #5 on most of final lists while Nemec was 2-5 on most lists.

Dickinson didn’t go before Demidov so I’m not sure what you’re referencing to.

You’re out of your mind if you call a winner after their D+2 camp not even being done. It’s like last year when people called Slafkovsky a bust and how Cooley should have been #1. Things can change fast at this age
Its not that hard in this case. It was obvious in the draft day. After the draft day it more obvious.

In Reinbacher/Nemec case again - it telling a lot more about how your argument doesn't work even more. Nemec was higher ranked, Nemec performed industrial d+1 year better, Nemec was clear NHLer in his D+2. Reinbacher didn't look like NHLer before injury. There are huge gap between Michkov and Cooley. So drafting Nemec was normal decision.

Drafting Reinbacher was bad decision. And I will help you with Dickinson example if you can't understand - Dickinson was used as an example of player of ~same level of Reinbacher who could be drafted for need over Demidov for your team. Even if there were huge need - like one poster said before - even if Dickinson will become 20-25 min defenseman, he will not be as valuable as Demidov. It would be the same bad pick. Mtl had all the same wingers they had before and Michkov was better player for the role of producing winger but they preferred to draft Reinbacher for need. Michkov was better than Reinbacher, he is better than Demidov and of course he is better than Dickinson.

It was bad in the day, it is even more bad now and the only thing that can turn this around is potential injuries of Michkov. But for now Reinbacher is "more injured" player.

And I don't care about Cooley and Slafkovsky. Because I told that Slaf will become first overall before Olympic games were ended. And I never had any problems with how Slafkovsky developed. And again - Slafkovsky and Cooley are much closer to each other. Michkov is better than Cooley, better than Slafkovsky and of course he was better and he us better - much better than Reinbacher and he is much harder to find.

And I'm not the one who is out of mind here.

At least mtl - team that already didn't have "need for small wingers" year ago, made their right decision and drafted much better prospect Demidov this year.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad