F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Anaheim and Columbus two years in a row passing on uber-talented Russian wingers might be the point where we look back on their rebuilds and say they weren’t willing to take the risk to acquire the superstar that you generally need to become a Cup contender.

Looking at who those two teams picked, it's obviously not about risk tolerance. They just rank the players differently than you would. Get over yourself.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Thats a lot of presuming and not much if any factual knowledge behind it . Lapointe literally admitted that the contract/ uncertainty did play a role in the decision. Anyway back to Demi. Guy does have a presence/ it factor
He will be a treat to watch and fit right in. In the past couple of years Montreal have a way to draft pieces that fit the puzzle to the T

Looking at who those two teams picked, it's obviously not about risk tolerance. They just rank the players differently than you would. Get over yourself.
it’s crazy isn’t it? Teams actually watch these kids play a lot and most - if not all - management teams has a plan to build a contender and not just ice a bunch of talents because “hockeydb” stats are cute

Reactions: majormajor

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
There’s a lot of decent Habs fans here, keep it about Demidov, the dude is doing great and on SKA with limited minutes. I will admit I was a skeptic I thought he wouldn’t produce at the rate he is but he’s doing it KHL, and the NHL is diff the point production isn’t the same it’s a diff league, Demidov is an elite prospect and watching him progress this year has been pretty cool tbh. It’s not always about the points but how they do it and he’s been very impressive, give props where it’s due. ( assuming you’re watching the games and his shifts ). I truly feel these last few drafts where Michkov and Demidov slipped because they’re Russian is going to haunt and change the way teams pick in the future. I'm not a massive Levshunov believer, I think Chicago picked for position and not BPA, shoulda took Demidov.

Last edited:

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Yeah but then Montreal would have a huge freaking hole at RHD and a top pairing RHD is the hardest position to fill with 1C, so yeah, I’m ok with Montreal taking a swing at a potential top pairing RHD over yet another winger

It's over, Jonny.

Habs got jobbed.

If they could do a re-do, we know who they would take now.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
There’s a lot of decent Habs fans here, keep it about Demidov, the dude is doing great and on SKA with limited minutes. I will admit I was a skeptic I thought he wouldn’t produce at the rate he is but he’s doing it KHL, and the NHL is diff the point production isn’t the same it’s a diff league, Demidov is an elite prospect and watching him progress this year has been pretty cool tbh. It’s not always about the points but how they do it and he’s been very impressive, give props where it’s due. ( assuming you’re watching the games and his shifts ). I truly feel these last few drafts where Michkov and Demidov slipped because they’re Russian is going to haunt and change the way teams pick in the future. I'm not a massive Levshunov believer, I think Chicago picked for position and not BPA, shoulda took Demidov.
The coming years will tell. We still don't know how Michkov, Demidov, Levshunov, and so on will perform in the NHL.

It's over, Jonny.

Habs got jobbed.

If they could do a re-do, we know who they would take now.
Let's talk in like 2-3 years.

Reactions: malcb33 and viceroy

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Yes, it is. Heck, we found Casey in the 2nd round in the same draft as Nemec and he looks like he may surpass Simon this year.

Finally some NJD fans are calming down about him. I've felt for a while that Nemec was overrated. I mean I see a solid mid-pairing guy in the making but some of y'all were going nuts with Norris talk.

Wow habs fans are still trying to convince anyone that reinbacher > michkov :laugh:

Why does only MTL get ragged over not picking Michkov? Criminy the kid got drafted 7th. He's a very talented small Winger, that is all.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Finally some NJD fans are calming down about him. I've felt for a while that Nemec was overrated. I mean I see a solid mid-pairing guy in the making but some of y'all were going nuts with Norris talk.
I've been this way on Nemec since his draft year. He will be a solid #2/3 IMO but doesn't have the tools to be a Norris level defenseman. He's a smart dman though, glad he's a devil.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Wow habs fans are still trying to convince anyone that reinbacher > michkov :laugh:
Stop including the whole fanbase in that.

Reinbacher received online threat when he was selected. The whole fanbase were angry and deflated when they passed on Michkov. The media/fan still talk about it weekly and now daily with the Laine injury + Michkov preason. Many supporters are still very angry about it. There are always supporter that will defend the club no matter what.

Still a good majority of fans including me, never wanted Reinbacher but we still wish he can develop as a good top 4 NHL defenseman.

As pointed out, getting Demidov softened the blow.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Why does only MTL get ragged over not picking Michkov? Criminy the kid got drafted 7th. He's a very talented small Winger, that is all.
Because it’s valid when another team said they preferred the bigger guy playing a more important position but when it’s Montreal, this argument is not valid. Our 6’4 RHD prospect is also a bust if he can’t win a top 4 spot out of camp in his D+2

Jan 21, 2018

Why does only MTL brag constantly over picking Hutson? Criminy the kid got drafted 62nd. He's a very talented small Defenseman, that is all.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
As pointed out, getting Demidov softened the blow.
This bears repeating. Feels like the hockey gods gave the Habs a do over with Anaheim taking Sennecke. Nothing against the kid, but he's much more of a project than Demidov, while also not having the same ceiling IMO.

Demidov falling to them + Hutson looking like no worse than a top 15-20 pick in a redraft makes the Michkov oversight a lot less painful. They should get a lot of extra offense from those 2.

I still think the Habs would prefer both Michkov and Demidov, but at this point the Habs future looks bright. Hughes is emerging as one of the top GMs in the game.

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Because it’s valid when another team said they preferred the bigger guy playing a more important position but when it’s Montreal, this argument is not valid. Our 6’4 RHD prospect is also a bust if he can’t win a top 4 spot out of camp in his D+2
Who said he’s a bust if he doesn’t make the team in his d plus 2 season ? Seems a bit straw man ish to me .,

Why does only MTL brag constantly over picking Hutson? Criminy the kid got drafted 62nd. He's a very talented small Defenseman, that is all.
Because he’s a good pick that late ? Who else could brag about drafting him when only Montreal holds his rights ? Strange post ..

Jan 21, 2018
I still think the Habs would prefer both Michkov and Demidov, but at this point the Habs future looks bright. Hughes is emerging as one of the top GMs in the game.

Montreal finished 28th overall, 28th overall, and 32nd overall in the last 3 seasons. They will most likely finish at the bottom of the league again this season.

I was surprised when habs fans thought Bergevin was an amazing GM. But it looks like they are brainwashed again with Hughes.

The average hfboards member would have selected michkov instead of reinbacher. That decision alone brings more value to the habs than anything Hughes has done so far.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Guys, stop f***ing talking about random players that aren't Demidov. @AvatarAang

This thread is about SKA/Montreal prospect Ivan Demidov. Trolling with random nonsense doesn't help. Demidov is having a pretty solid season so far and he's creating a lot of chances with SKA. If only his coach would unchain him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Montreal finished 28th overall, 28th overall, and 32nd overall in the last 3 seasons. They will most likely finish at the bottom of the league again this season.

I was surprised when habs fans thought Bergevin was an amazing GM. But it looks like they are brainwashed again with Hughes.
Rebuilds take time. Hughes has done a good job accumulating assets.

Slafkovksy - Beck - Demidov
Hutson - Reinbacher
Fowler

That's a pretty strong prospect group he's acquired in only 3 drafts.
The average hfboards member would have selected michkov instead of reinbacher. That decision alone brings more value to the habs than anything Hughes has done so far.
I think drafting Slafkovsky over Wright has worked out pretty well. Hutson was also a great pick.

We also don't have all the information available regarding the Reinbacher pick. I would have picked Michkov, but I can't lie, the contract thing would have scared me. We also don't know what was said behind closed doors. And it's not like Reinbacher wasn't thought of as a top defensive prospect.

Reactions: MoneyManny

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Guys, stop f***ing talking about random players that aren't Demidov. @AvatarAang

This thread is about SKA/Montreal prospect Ivan Demidov. Trolling with random nonsense doesn't help. Demidov is having a pretty solid season so far and he's creating a lot of chances with SKA. If only his coach would unchain him.
He is obsessed , his past 25 posts are all talking about the habs , leave him be , it's not easy being a laughs fan let them get their little jabs in

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
That’s a very bold statement but you do you. I hope you can at least understand why your team went for Nemec instead of the more talented player in Cooley.

I’m not sure why it is so hard to understand for some people that team needs at key positions can make or break a contending team
Team needs can be adressed at any time during the season OR the off-season.

The team's overall level of talent can rarely be increased significantly outside of the draft.

I can GUARANTEE you that if we drafted a Michkov every year, we'd have a star-studded roster in no time.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
Montreal brass said over and over again that they thought Reinbacher was the BPA at 5.

It’s easy to say after the facts, although it’s still early in both players career. I personally don’t care too much if one player is more skilled/flashy than the other. If Reinbacher can become a steady two-way force and play 20-25 hard minutes a night, I’ll take that over a 90-95 points Michkov considering Montreal current strength and weaknesses
How long has it been since Montreal had a 95 points player? Over 3 DECADES?????

How dare you say it's not a need?

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

First this is a Demidov thread maybe if you want to chime in against the Habs GM you can bring your discussion to the habs board.

As for Hughes, I won't start the debate here but you should take into consideration the LT vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad