F Ivan Demidov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
I would've thought that a Nikishin/Zaitsev pairing would've been KHL elite but Nikishin hasn't played and Zaitsev looks like he didn't work out much this summer.

That 20 year old kid looks promising but hasn't looked good yet.

Nikishin played today, wasn't bad at all. He also wore the "C", I think they got a lot of new players and they will all have chemistry eventually.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
wow...really? if we count them...this year is way better atleast with that 1 point:) and 1 vhl game. i dont say that vhl should be demidov's place. khl is fine if he gets playing time.
I'm pretty certain games played in previous years count still.

EDIT: Thanks Xirik

Last edited:
Reactions: Xirik

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
List of players from age 20-22 since 2007, sorted by points/60.

View attachment 904673
This is pretty cherry picked, especially since scoring has exploded in the years it applies to in Hughes case. Plus, P/60 is generally a flawed stat if not separated situationally (who helps players who get a ton of PP time, and hurts anyone who played on the PK).

Like, it'd be hard to argue Hughes was a more valuable player than Matthews, Stamkos, or Ovechkin at those ages, considering Ovechkin won 2 Harts in those two seasons, finished 2nd in Hart voting the other season. Matthews finished as a 2nd team All-Star in 2020/21, 2nd in Hart voting, and won a Richard (and finished 3rd in goals in 2019/20), and Stamkos has 2 2nd Team All Stars and a Richard at those ages.

Also, if you made it their draft+1 season to draft+5 season and removed guys who didn't play immediately (Malkin, Robertson, Rantanen, Getzlaf, Marner, Backstrom, etc.) Hughes p/60 numbers would crater compared to McDavid, Crosby, Ovi, Matthews, Pastrnak and even Stamkos.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
This is exactly why i've been quiet on the whole situation. I have no clue who is gonna be a better player. Of course i have my hunches.

So far is seems like Demidov is dealing with some of the hurdles Michkov had to deal with. We'll have an idea of how he handles it in comparison
Alot of us posters love both prospects , I know i do , it doesn't have to be a pissing match but its funny to see people go to war on here as an observer

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
The Flyers posters on HF are a little bit insecure, is it like this for everyone living in Philly?

Nothing about Demidov’s treatment so far (His benching, his lineup demotion, his lack of production) is an indictment of him. It’s an indictment of Rotenberg.

But it’s awfully funny that certain Habs fans were claiming that benchings and mistreatment by Rotenberg of young players were infallible indictments of the players, rather than simply being obvious misuse by Rotenberg.

My stance remains consistent: Rotenberg is an idiot whose use of young talent should not be taken at face value. Hopefully the Habs fans who did take it at face value are now remaining consistent and doing some soul-searching about what it means for Demidov.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
This is pretty cherry picked, especially since scoring has exploded in the years it applies to in Hughes case. Plus, P/60 is generally a flawed stat if not separated situationally (who helps players who get a ton of PP time, and hurts anyone who played on the PK).

Like, it'd be hard to argue Hughes was a more valuable player than Matthews, Stamkos, or Ovechkin at those ages, considering Ovechkin won 2 Harts in those two seasons, finished 2nd in Hart voting the other season. Matthews finished as a 2nd team All-Star in 2020/21, 2nd in Hart voting, and won a Richard (and finished 3rd in goals in 2019/20), and Stamkos has 2 2nd Team All Stars and a Richard at those ages.

Also, if you made it their draft+1 season to draft+5 season and removed guys who didn't play immediately (Malkin, Robertson, Rantanen, Getzlaf, Marner, Backstrom, etc.) Hughes p/60 numbers would crater compared to McDavid, Crosby, Ovi, Matthews, Pastrnak and even Stamkos.
If I was arguing any of those things sure.

But yes, hughes was not particularly productive as a teenager. You have uncovered a secret everyone has been trying to hide.

Truly genius

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Is the SKA coach an idiot?

Serious question

Like, is Ivan Demidov actually playing right now for the Forrest Gump of the KHL?

Do Canada has to send more coach in Russia for the KHL to look less like a f***ing joke?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is the SKA coach an idiot?

Serious question

Like, is Ivan Demidov actually playing right now for the Forrest Gump of the KHL?

Do Canada has to send more coach in Russia for the KHL to look less like a f***ing joke?
This is how it is at SKA. There’s probably not much he can do. He isn’t the first and won’t be the last that was treated like this.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Rotenberg coaches to win games in a pro men's league not cater to and develop prospects for nhl teams he can't get a job for. He gets wins but is horrible for younger players.

I don't understand this take. It would seem to me that both Michkov (last sesaons) and Demidov would help Rotenberg to win games not the opposite. It shouldn't matter if they're there for the long run or not. Anyone watching the games can see Demidov is one of the best players whenever he's on the ice.

Benching or putting them on the 4th line is counter-productive to victory if that's his goal.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't understand this take. It would seem to me that both Michkov (last sesaons) and Demidov would help Rotenberg to win games not the opposite. It shouldn't matter if they're there for the long run or not. Anyone watching the games can see Demidov is one of the best players whenever he's on the ice.

Benching or putting them on the 4th line is counter-productive to victory if that's his goal.

Michkov could certainly help SKA to not lose in that second round series, and that's the nitty-gritty of Rotenberg for you. With all the tricks and probably undertable money he manages to get the best roster in the KHL year in year out. And he fails year in year out in playoffs.

He's very emotional and doesn't have any professional hockey experience as a player, he definitely can play better than a beerleager, but he didn't play professional hockey. So he's a good motivator and players love him and it works during regular seasons. But when it comes to playoffs he inevitably fails. That's why he's desperate, and it doesn't help for his decision making, especially given his mental unstability and lack of pro hockey experience. Young kids are the first who will suffer from this.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

I think he’s intimating that the vets have the trust of the coaches in key situations so why chance it . He’s an excellent prospect but these are seasoned pros he’s up against and until proven otherwise ( win loss record speaks for itself ) I imagine that’s the way it’ll continue to be .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad