F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024 draft)

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
On raw talent alone, Demidov is the 2nd or 3rd highest-skilled player in the draft, imo. That said, I don't think he'll be one of the top 5 most valuable players in the draft when we reflect five years from now. Of course, this is simply a gut hunch. I think he'll be flashy and highly productive but more in the prime Phil Kessel mold than a team carrier like Celebrini.

I also think there's going to be a few players who end up higher-impact NHLers based on putting it all together and tapping into intangibles. And this will knock Demidov down a bit, no fault of his own.

I think Mack Celebrini is an automatic. I think Buium will end up the second most dominant player in the draft, ultimately having an Adam Fox-like impact. I feel that Silayev could end up challenging for multiple Norris Trophies as the premier shutdown defenseman in the NHL with 50+ points offensively... think Pronger without the criminal element but better skating. And I think Iginla will end up punching above his weight class and be the type of leader who matches elite character with high-end skills like Daniel Alfredsson. If Lindstrom can keep that hulking frame healthy and put it all together, he could resemble Ryan Getzlaf.

All of that said, I can see a case for Demidov being selected as high as 2nd overall by the Hawks (even though I believe they pass and he slides to 5th overall). I would also be more than fine if my team drafted him above any of the players I mentioned above, based on his dynamic skill set.

Ultimately, I think he ends up going 5th overall to the Habs... and the draft falling like...

1. SJS - Celebrini
2. CHI - Levshunov
3. ANA - Silayev
4. CLB - Lindstrom
5. MTL - Demidov

Again, no fault of Demidov, but I think these teams will put extra weight on drafting for "need" instead of pure talent. I feel CHI will covet that big, multi-purpose RHD and lick their chops thinking about a Korchinski-Levshunov pairing for a decade.

I think the Ducks are stacked with young talent in all positions but won't be able to pass up an elite, shutdown D monster who can log 26 minutes a night and compliment offensive D titans like Mintyukov and Zellweger. With Silayev, those two guys, Luneau and LaCombe, etc. the Ducks D will be the undisputed greatest on the planet in 4 years.

CLB likely can't pass up a center ice core that features Fantilli, Lindstrom, and Sillinger.

That's why I feel Demidov drops to 5th overall and the Habs pounce. Unless they get brazen and take a future leader in Iginla. But I think a good percentage of Canadiens fans are still salty over them passing on Michkov last year and some may lose their minds if they don't take Demidov if he's there.

Welcome to Montreal, Ivan Demidov.
100% agree with your assessment and hope you're right!

Can't wait to see Bob's final draft rankings

Reactions: CapSpace

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Demidov is a puck wizard.

Well, in the MHL he was.

Carrying the puck at will, he was like a hawk circling around for a prey, and once he sees an opportunity SHLACK!! It was an automatic goal!!

He might be a little less talented than Michkov, but doesn't carry a reputation of having a difficult character nor has an endless KHL contract. Plus he's bigger.

I'd be more than thrilled if he end up in MTL.
He'd be the most offensively talented player we drafted since... an eternity.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
This is just not true.

NCAA
CHL
USHL

CJHL/USHS/MHL/European junior leagues

The leagues on the bottom tier all have one thing in common: the best junior players generally don’t play in them.

The MHL is much less offensive than NA junior leagues.

Demidov is an extraterrestrial with his 2,0 pts/game in that league, while in the CHL it's common features.

Russian hockey is no fluke.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Does not the same apply to the USHL, which is the main feeder league for the NCAA?

Our best juniors are in college, not the USHL. All but 2 guys from this year’s WJC team were NCAAers. Indeed this year there were exponentially more u20s in the NCAA than u20 regulars in the KHL/VHL.

Yeah, but it was more of an exception than a rule. Historically I mean.

In the US, the best juniors play in the USDP system , most of the time

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
If they get Lindstrom or Iginla, won't be as crazy as Reinbacher over Michkov though.

Supposing Lindstrom and Demidov are gone and Habs take Buium, I'm about sure Habs fans will start a riot..

For then realising, 2-3 years from now, that he was the BPA and a certified winner and first hand contributor when it matters most...

P.S.: I'm a Habs fan myself..

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Caser and a few others already alluded to it but you really need to know what you're watching when evaluating the MHL. I don't think there is a single league where the difference between 2 games can be as big as something like a game in november between 2 silver division teams compared to 2 top gold teams facing deep into the playoffs with VHL/KHL level players on the rosters. And even among the gold division the difference in quality between teams is quite vast. The MHL really is a league where you need to put stats into context and watch the games yourself to properly evaluate a player, and those games would preferably be playoff games between top teams to get the best evaluation. All in all, Demidov seem to do very well no matter what.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Well, in the MHL he was.

Carrying the puck at will, he was like a hawk circling around for a prey, and once he sees an opportunity SHLACK!! It was an automatic goal!!

He might be a little less talented than Michkov, but doesn't carry a reputation of having a difficult character nor has an endless KHL contract. Plus he's bigger.

Michkov doesn’t have a reputation of a difficult character. This is copium.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Michkov doesn’t have a reputation of a difficult character. This is copium.

Yes he have.

Is it true?

That we don't know.

But as for the Habs, Bobrov's father is working for the St Petersburg Ska and he surely has insight informations..

Maybe one of the reason Habs didn't chose him last draft

Reactions: CapSpace

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

Well, in the MHL he was.

You guys say this every year :laugh:

I mean it may well be true but it's just amusing to keep hearing it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yes he have.

Is it true?

That we don't know.

But as for the Habs, Bobrov's father is working for the St Petersburg Ska and he surely has insight informations..

Maybe one of the reason Habs didn't chose him last draft
Bobrov is a conman.

Three top 10 Euro picks in 3 years under his watch with the Rangers and it ended up being Andersson (bust), Kravtsov (bust), Kakko (bust). How this guy got another job in hockey is incredible.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
Demigod 6ft2 now with some room to grow, what a steal this power forward beast will be at #5 for the Habs
Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 5.33.11 PM.png

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
You guys say this every year :laugh:

I mean it may well be true but it's just amusing to keep hearing it.

Except last year when we drafted a 2 way D in Reinbacher

Or the year before when we drafted slaf for his physical profile

Or the year before when we picked a D in mailloux

Or the year before when we picked another D in guhle

Maybe you're thinking of the year before when we picked caufield? I could see someone saying it then.

So like once in 5 years?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Except last year when we drafted a 2 way D in Reinbacher

Or the year before when we drafted slaf for his physical profile

Or the year before when we picked a D in mailloux

Or the year before when we picked another D in guhle

Maybe you're thinking of the year before when we picked caufield? I could see someone saying it then.

So like once in 5 years?
About prospective draft picks.

And yeah it bleeds over to pumping the tires of existing prospects. Like with Suzuki (we haven't had a legit star forward in years until now!) then the same statement with Caufield, slightly modified takes with Slafkovsky that he could be the star forward the Habs have been lacking for years.

But it's not that serious. I'm not talking shit. Just amusing to me.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Chicago needs to draft this guy instead of a defenseman. I know they really want a RHD prospect but they can’t pass on a player with this much offensive upside.

Chicago could makeup a legit top 6 with the likes of Bedard, Demidov, Nazar, and Moore.

Chicago also has Rinzel, Korchinski, and Vlasic for young D prospects. The upside with Levshunov is just not there compared to Demidov. They should attempt to get Jiricek or even EJ Emery at 18 if they want more D.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Supposing Lindstrom and Demidov are gone and Habs take Buium, I'm about sure Habs fans will start a riot..

For then realising, 2-3 years from now, that he was the BPA and a certified winner and first hand contributor when it matters most...

P.S.: I'm a Habs fan myself..
I do love Buium, though he's not really needed for the Habs.
I don't think they'd take him.
I think it's going to be Lindstrom, Demidov, Iginla or Sennecke.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Yeah, but it was more of an exception than a rule. Historically I mean.

In the US, the best juniors play in the USDP system , most of the time

The best u18s play in the USDP system, but they move on to the NCAA still as juniors (u20).

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
He played in the MHL because of contract politics, not because he's not good enough to play against men

Yes, just like SKA plays political games with Michkov
It's a catch 22 situation. He signs an extension with SKA, he gets better chance in the system. If he makes his intention known that he's trying to get to the NA ASAP, it leads to, well what we're already seeing what that leads to.

I'm curious if Michkov had not extended would so many teams have passed him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad