F Ivan Demidov - SKA-1946 St.Petersburg, MHL (2024, 5th, MTL)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
CHI wanted a long-term RD with lots of character. Lev is a tremendous prospect. ANA is overloaded with skilled prospect, they swung for the fences with a forward who was anyway a top5 F prospect and had unicorn-energy. CBJ went with the 1-2 punch for Fantilli. Lindstrom is pretty much a unicorn himself.

I don't think Demidov was drafted too low or underrated. The Habs needed him more than ANA or CHI, and CBJ went with power over finesse, the Habs needed finesse more than anything (having man-beast Slafkovsky already).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
CHI wanted a long-term RD with lots of character. Lev is a tremendous prospect. ANA is overloaded with skilled prospect, they swung for the fences with a forward who was anyway a top5 F prospect and had unicorn-energy. CBJ went with the 1-2 punch for Fantilli. Lindstrom is pretty much a unicorn himself.

I don't think Demidov was drafted too low or underrated. The Habs needed him more than ANA or CHI, and CBJ went with power over finesse, the Habs needed finesse more than anything (having man-beast Slafkovsky already).

100%…. I feel like the only real risk of someone taking Demidov prior to Montreal was Chicago(and I think rhd is so hard to find in this league that if a talented one Is on the board you take it)

DemiGod

GoHawks
Jul 20, 2022
I keep reading and hearing just how good Demidov is. People keep going on and on about him on TV and on here and many other sites.

Honestly question though, I get why CHI went with a dman at #2, but why did Anaheim go off the board a bit and choose Sennecke and also why did CBJ take Lindstrom? I'm genuinely curious about why he slid to #5. And it's not like his contract situation is the reason because there is only 1 year remaining from what I heard(unlike Michkov at the time when he had multiple years remaining on KHL contract). So not much difference at all because Sennecke and Lindstrom I would imagine will be back in junior for atleast another season and possibly longer.

Again, this is just curiousity reasons and I am not trying to trash talk Demidov at all here. What are the red flags with Demidov for Anaheim and CBJ to pass on him if he is considered this damn good?
Chicago wanted Demidov and they are going to pick in the top 3 in 2025. Can replace him.
Anaheim has the best pool in the entire NHL, they don't need him.
Columbus likes the Fantilli-Lindstrom combo.

Reactions: Guess

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

I think Chicago and Columbus have needs at every position.

I wanted one of Lindstrom/Demidov. That being said I think Demidov has the highest pure offensive skills in the draft. However, Russian factor, being stuck in the MHL and no international tournaments makes him hard to judge if that talent can easily translate at the next level... I totally understand the Leshunov and Lindstrom pick. If I was Anaheim, I would've traded down.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Chicago wanted Demidov and they are going to pick in the top 3 in 2025. Can replace him.
Anaheim has the best pool in the entire NHL, they don't need him.
Columbus likes the Fantilli-Lindstrom combo.
The Fantilli and Lindstrom combo will be scary in the playoff. They are both around 6ft3. To be honest, everyone in the top 5 are happy. We all got what we needed.

Montreal have been looking for a long time for a game breaking forward. Hopefully, we found him in Demidov.

:)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
interesting bit from habs beat reporter..
But there is more information to be found with boots on the ground, and the Canadiens were very fortunate to have the boots of co-director of amateur scouting Nick Bobrov, a Russian citizen, on the ground to watch Ivan Demidov.
Not only did Bobrov meet several times with Demidov and his family, but he got to see a side of him that does in fact shine through on video, but is only accentuated when you are there in perso
“I guess the one thing is seeing him practice, and how hard he works, how relentless he is on and off the ice, how much time he spends on his craft,” Bobrov said Saturday after the completion of Day 2 of the draft. “We have other kids, other players who work so relentlessly on their craft that it’s almost too much. Ivan falls into that category of when you watch him play games, it’s exciting. But when you watch him work in practice, you get even more excited because he would be in a very unique category of people who just never stop. So that’s very impressive.”
There were a few teams who were able to get decision-makers into Russia, which is a massive commitment. Western credit cards don’t work in Russia due to financial sanctions over the ongoing war in Ukraine. Crossing the border into Russia is not a simple process by any stretch. And then there’s the inherent chaos of being in a country at war.
This is part of the reason why the Canadiens are this excited about Demidov. They saw sides of him that most other teams didn’t. And it also helps explain why meeting with him in Florida last week at the Gold Star showcase event was less important to them than hiding their intentions so close to the draft.
When Kent Hughes mentioned Friday night that the Canadiens had Demidov on their radar last year when they took David Reinbacher at No. 5 instead of a forward, that was only part of the story. Bobrov’s father, Sergei, has been a scout for SKA Saint Petersburg for 15 years. He had insight on Matvei Michkov most other teams did not have, and he also had insight on Demidov.

He’s been on the Canadiens’ radar for far longer than one year.
“We’ve known Ivan for a number of years now because of my dad’s position and knowing young players in that organization is a big part of his job,” Bobrov said. “So we knew the kid, the family really well. I was fortunate enough to get there a couple of times and spend time with him and his family. We felt that we might have a chance at him, but not a significant one. It worked out, and clearly he was very happy to end up in Montreal. His family was looking forward to that.
“Part of the reason he wanted to be in Montreal was because he loves pressure. He embraces pressure and thrives on it. Sometimes we ask kids whether or not they will be OK playing in this city. He was begging for it. So that’s a good sign.”
That last part is the kicker. Demidov embracing pressure is a big part of what the Canadiens look for.
“His ceiling is as high as some of the best players in the league,” Bobrov said. “And he expects nothing less than that from himself, which is the most important part.”
Director of scouting Martin Lapointe called Demidov “the steal of the draft.” Bobrov said that was “an understatement.” The Canadiens are over the moon about this pick, this player, and the additional information Bobrov was able to gather on the ground is a big reason why.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
I keep reading and hearing just how good Demidov is. People keep going on and on about him on TV and on here and many other sites.

Honestly question though, I get why CHI went with a dman at #2, but why did Anaheim go off the board a bit and choose Sennecke and also why did CBJ take Lindstrom? I'm genuinely curious about why he slid to #5. And it's not like his contract situation is the reason because there is only 1 year remaining from what I heard(unlike Michkov at the time when he had multiple years remaining on KHL contract). So not much difference at all because Sennecke and Lindstrom I would imagine will be back in junior for atleast another season and possibly longer.

Again, this is just curiousity reasons and I am not trying to trash talk Demidov at all here. What are the red flags with Demidov for Anaheim and CBJ to pass on him if he is considered this damn good?

If Demidov was a Canadian boy playing in the CHL or an American playing in the US development team... he would've been the 2nd overall pick no doubt about it. :teach:

Reactions: Doublechin and Rozz

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

A few things.

For Chicago and Columbus. It's probably more of a positional need.
For Anaheim, hard to tell, Sennecke is the flavour of the moment after his playoffs.

Russian factor. Demidov was excited at the prospect of joining the Habs, but maybe he didn't show the same excitement in other interviews with other team. Maybe they weren't confident he'd come over or come over as soons as possible.

Lack of data. Maybe Anaheim didn't have as many contacts/viewings in Russia as Montreal did (Brobov our head scout his Russian and his dad works Russian hockey).

Lack of competition. Demisov was also stuck in the MHL. Apparently they didn't call him up to the KHL because he refused to extend his contract in Russia. Russia is also exempt from inter ational competition. This makes him harder to project at the next level and against the best of his age group.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
That would be in violation of the agreement between the NHL and the KHL.

That can't do that.
There is no agreement between the two leagues. The last one expired.

Poaching doesn't happen because it'll expose the poached player to sanctions from the IIHF and their respective national sport federation,.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
What would've happened if CHI went with Demidov at 2OA?

ANA takes Sennecke or Levshunov?

CBJ takes Lindstrom, or [Sennecke / Levshunov]?

MTL takes... ?
Probably Iginla or Buium.

We did hear there was lots of talk of The Habs involved in trade talks that died as soon as Demidov was available at #5 so who knows what would have happened.....

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Because he played junior A. Even still, he didn’t look like he’d become what he is even in his D+1 and D+2 years in college. Development isn’t linear. Hutson and Buium both had better college years at the same age or younger than Makar did. Do you think they will be as good as him? Are they 1st overall talents?

If you want to say that Demidov may become the best player from the draft, sure go ahead, but it’s meaningless because you can say that about any player. But to emphatically say he’s a #1 overall talent right at the draft implies that he should’ve gone number one, which is ridiculous. He’s not a 1st overall calibre prospect, and he didn’t fall because he’s Russian. He “fell” because teams felt other players are/will be better
You are completely off on this. Being a 1st OA caliber and 1st OA selectiojn are not remotely the same thing. If you put any 1st OA since Crosby (or arguably Lindros or Lemieux) in the same draft as McDavid, they're not 1 OA picks. Conversely, if you put Demidov in the 2022, 2021, 2017 (and possibly 2020) drafts, he goes #1. Just like Carlsson or Fantilli would have as well. That also assumes teams draft purely based on talent (they don't). Some draft for need (Galchenyuk, KK), some draft by positional importance (Reinbacher, Levshunov) and some are just avoided due to personality issues (Connelly, Mitchkov). Granted, none of them were picked first, it just goes to show that where they were drafted does not reflect their talent relative to where they were selected. There is a stark difference between being drafted 1st and possessing 1st level talent.

Reactions: HabsAddict

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What would've happened if CHI went with Demidov at 2OA?

ANA takes Sennecke or Levshunov?

CBJ takes Lindstrom, or [Sennecke / Levshunov]?

MTL takes... ?
At no point did i want to draft Lindstrome. My absolute fear was that if Lindstrome, Levs and Demidov were off the board, habs would take Iginla or Buium.

So when Sennecke was taken, a loud f and groaned, when Lindstrome was gone, rejoiced and welcomed Demidov. It would be an act of absolute terminal stupidity to pass on Demidov.

I don't think the Habs had Sennecke or Dickerson at 5. Imagine on passing on Demidov and Sennecke to pick Buium.

I had visions of Kk V2...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad