F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Not really. Just because he's putting up more points doesn't mean he's better than McDavid. McDavid was the best skating prospect ever, and still is to this day. On top of that, he had insane processing, hands, and was 6'+. McKenna is probably just as good as McDavid was at distributing the puck, he processes offense at a similar level, and I think he is going to be a Kucherov level player, but to say he's as good, let alone better than McDavid, is outlandish to me. McKenna is among the very best prospects since McDavid, but I don't think he's better now than McDavid was. McDavid was unreal at 16.
Yeah, and just because one player is a better skater, doesn’t mean he’s the better player. Everyone knows this. I’m not saying McKenna will be better than McDavid; I’m saying he’s better than McDavid was at the same age. That isn’t some crazy statement, especially considering the fact that the gulf in production is massive. Mckenna is outproducing McDavid at the same age by over 50%. That isn’t a trivial difference, and isn’t something you can just write off with the “points aren’t everything” argument. We are talking about two offensive forwards; if points aren’t everything, they are close to it.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, and just because one player is a better skater, doesn’t mean he’s the better player. Everyone knows this. I’m not saying McKenna will be better than McDavid; I’m saying he’s better than McDavid was at the same age. That isn’t some crazy statement, especially considering the fact that the gulf in production is massive. Mckenna is outproducing McDavid at the same age by over 50%. That isn’t a trivial difference, and isn’t something you can just write off with the “points aren’t everything” argument. We are talking about two offensive forwards; if points aren’t everything, they are close to it.
It’s a very crazy statement

And I’m pretty sure you’re comparing McDavids 15 year old season and McKenna’s 16 year old season.

In both of their 16 year old seasons:

McDavid
Reg Season- 56 gp 28g 71a 99p. 99 points was 4th in the league, his 1.77 ppg was 2nd.
Playoffs - 14 gp 4g 15a 19p.
WJ - 7gp 1g 3a

McKenna
Reg Season - 61gp 34g 63a 97p. 97 points was 12th in the league, his 1.59 ppg was 11th
Playoffs - 5gp 2g 4a 6p

Tavares put both of their 16 year old seasons to shame with 72 goals and 134 points, but there wouldn't have been anyone who said he was the better player or prospect than McDavid, and McKenna is probably getting called a better player and prospect than him by 50% or more of scouts and fans

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It’s a very crazy statement

And I’m pretty sure you’re comparing McDavids 15 year old season and McKenna’s 16 year old season.

In both of their 16 year old seasons:

McDavid
Reg Season- 56 gp 28g 71a 99p. 99 points was 4th in the league, his 1.77 ppg was 2nd.
Playoffs - 14 gp 4g 15a 19p.
WJ - 7gp 1g 3a

McKenna
Reg Season - 61gp 34g 63a 97p. 97 points was 12th in the league, his 1.59 ppg was 11th
Playoffs - 5gp 2g 4a 6p

Tavares put both of their 16 year old seasons to shame with 72 goals and 134 points, but there wouldn't have been anyone who said he was the better player or prospect than McDavid, and McKenna is probably getting called a better player and prospect than him by 50% or more of scouts and fans
Mckenna was 15-16 this past season. The season when McDavid was 15-16, he put up 66 points. In that 99 point season you are talking about, McDavid was 16-17. McKenna’s equivalent to that is this upcoming season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Mckenna was 15-16 this past season. The season when McDavid was 15-16, he put up 66 points. In that 99 point season you are talking about, McDavid was 16-17. McKenna’s equivalent to that is this upcoming season.
That’s not how seasons work…

McDavid played a 15 year old season as an exemplary status. MacKenna likely should have, but never received it. That was both of their 15 year old seasons. The one you’re using for McDavid. It’s literally so easily proven.

Then, they both played their 16 year old seasons, which means they are both eligible for the U17 tournament. That was the past season for McKenna.

McKenna isn’t eligible for the U17’s this year, because he aged out, because he’s in his 17 year old season.

Regardless, here they both are, best 16 year old seasons in the O and W, McDavids 99 and McKenna’s 97.

Last edited:

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

McDavid played a 15 year old season as an exemplary status. MacKinnon likely should have, but never received it. That was both of their 15 year old seasons. The one you’re using for McDavid. It’s literally so easily proven.

Then, they both played their 16 year old seasons, which means they are both eligible for the U17 tournament. That was the past season for MacKinnon.

MacKinnon isn’t eligible for the U17’s this year, because he aged out, because he’s in his 17 year old season.

Regardless, here they both are, best 16 year old seasons in the O and W, McDavids 99 and MacKinnon’s 97.

Assuming you mean McKenna and not MacKinnon but otherwise your point is correct.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

McDavid played a 15 year old season as an exemplary status. MacKenna likely should have, but never received it. That was both of their 15 year old seasons. The one you’re using for McDavid. It’s literally so easily proven.

Then, they both played their 16 year old seasons, which means they are both eligible for the U17 tournament. That was the past season for McKenna.

McKenna isn’t eligible for the U17’s this year, because he aged out, because he’s in his 17 year old season.

Regardless, here they both are, best 16 year old seasons in the O and W, McDavids 99 and McKenna’s 97.

You’re needlessly complicating things and getting overly technical because their birthdays are a month apart. We are talking in practical terms, not some u17 tournament eligibility criteria. The fact is that Mckenna put up 97 points in 61 games in his D-2 season, while McDavid put up 66 in 63 in his. They both turned 16 midway through (Mckenna in December, McDavid in January) the seasons in question, so it’s a completely fair comparison, and makes much more sense than comparing McKenna from this past season to McDavid’s 99 point age 16-17 season.

• Haha
Reactions: BondraTime

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
You’re needlessly complicating things and getting overly technical because their birthdays are a month apart. We are talking in practical terms, not some u17 tournament eligibility criteria. The fact is that Mckenna put up 97 points in 61 games in his D-2 season, while McDavid put up 66 in 63 in his. They both turned 16 midway through (Mckenna in December, McDavid in January) the seasons in question, so it’s a completely fair comparison, and makes much more sense than comparing McKenna from this past season to McDavid’s 99 point age 16-17 season.
Nope. You play hockey with your birthyear. McKenna put up 97 points in his 16 year old season, McDavid put up 66 points in his 15 year old season. Yes, McKenna was extremely young in his 16 year old season (making it more impressive), but still his 16 year old season. McDavid was extremely old for his 15 year old season, but still 15 year old season nonetheless.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
The difference is, say, in McDavid’s 15/16 year old d-2 seaon, he was playing against 96s, 95s, 94s, 93s and 92s. 5 age groups older than him in the same league. McDavid put up 66 points in 63 games for 1.04 PPG.

In McKenna’s 15/16 d-2 season, he was playing against 06s, 05s, 04s and 03, only 4 age groups older than him. Granted, he is nearly on 08, but it’s still not counted as such.

His comparable season to McDavid’s first year in Erie was last year, and it is still very comparable. Smaller sample size, but he totalled 18 points in 16 games for 1.12 PPG at a much younger age (a year nearly) than McDavid in his comparable season

The more and more I watch McKenna though, the more and more I think he is the stylistic comparable of McDavid, with 10% less top end speed. But he isn’t a centre and doesn’t have McDavid’s bulk at the same age, so I still think he’s not “the next McDavid” more so than a “McDavid-style player”

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
The difference is, say, in McDavid’s 15/16 year old d-2 seaon, he was playing against 96s, 95s, 94s, 93s and 92s. 5 age groups older than him in the same league. McDavid put up 66 points in 63 games for 1.04 PPG.

In McKenna’s 15/16 d-2 season, he was playing against 06s, 05s, 04s and 03, only 4 age groups older than him. Granted, he is nearly on 08, but it’s still not counted as such.

His comparable season to McDavid’s first year in Erie was last year, and it is still very comparable. Smaller sample size, but he totalled 18 points in 16 games for 1.12 PPG at a much younger age (a year nearly) than McDavid in his comparable season

The more and more I watch McKenna though, the more and more I think he is the stylistic comparable of McDavid, with 10% less top end speed. But he isn’t a centre and doesn’t have McDavid’s bulk at the same age, so I still think he’s not “the next McDavid” more so than a “McDavid-style player”
McDavid style for sure. He's like a more advanced Kucherov (a bit faster than Kuch) at the same age.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Sure, but then that means it was a great few years and like the next 10-15 you won’t have one, no?
well if you flip heads 8 times out of 10 does that mean you wont flip heads for the next 8-10 flips?

btw Crosby was drafted in 2005, Bedard in 2023, I'd say thats more than a generation between them. Just like with Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby we could have Bedard/Mckenna/Dupont in a short span again given the near 20 year gap.

Makar and maybe even Hughes may be considered generational too. Thats 2-3 every decade. I wouldn't say thats over-using it when the players are breaking NHL records. You can have 2-3 generational talents for each generation.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
well if you flip heads 8 times out of 10 does that mean you wont flip heads for the next 8-10 flips?

btw Crosby was drafted in 2005, Bedard in 2023, I'd say thats more than a generation between them. Just like with Ovechkin/Malkin/Crosby we could have Bedard/Mckenna/Dupont in a short span again given the near 20 year gap.

Makar and maybe even Hughes may be considered generational too. Thats 2-3 every decade. I wouldn't say thats over-using it when the players are breaking NHL records. You can have 2-3 generational talents for each generation.
But generational comes from generation. A Generation spans every 10 years. That's not generational you are talking about.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
But generational comes from generation. A Generation spans every 10 years. That's not generational you are talking about.
I dunno about where you live, but i am not seeing 10 yo's popping out kids around here. A generation is considered to be 20 years, even though people in the developed world, at least, are having kids much later. Certainly not 10 years.

If you are talking hockey, probably using the word "era" is more apt, i.e. Richard was the best player of the 40's, Howe, 50's, Hull 60's...etc.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
4 points in two games at the Hlinka against two terrible teams while getting the most ice and PP time

To the points aren’t everything people, I agree but he was supposed to smash this tournament

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
4 points in two games at the Hlinka against two terrible teams while getting the most ice and PP time

To the points aren’t everything people, I agree but he was supposed to smash this tournament
He is the best player, and making it look evident this tournament.

Anything above 10 points is smashing this tournament, there were just some unrealistic expectations put on him, "30 points easily" was brought up at one point in one of the threads which is obviously insane, but the expectations have been out of whack.

He should slide in nicely in the ~10+ point range with another 6-8 points over the next few games, he's a ridiculously good player, but he isn't "too" good to be playing with hhis peers, even though he's easily the best

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

Last night he was tame. He doesn’t really have anything to prove because of what he did at u18, but I think if they want to get the best of him they need to play him away from Schmidt. They are two players that look like they need the puck on their stick to succeed, and they don’t play well off each other. Schmidt seems to get tunnel vision sometimes.

As button mentioned I think they should reunited Desnoyers and Mckenna, who were excellent together at the u18

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
He is the best player, and making it look extremely evident this tournament.

Anything above 10 points is smashing this tournament, there were just some unrealistic expectations put on him, "30 points easily" was brought up at one point in one of the threads which is more to do with not understanding the tournament, but the expectations haver been out of whack.

He should slide in nicely in the ~10+ point range with another 6-8 points over the next few games, he's a ridiculously good player, but he isn't "too" good to be playing with hhis peers, even though he's easily the best
The tournament is 5 games total so anyone that thought he was getting 30 were insane. However, lots of people thought he would easily break the tournament scoring record as well. He has three games left against the best teams of the tournament. The easy games are behind him.

Also it’s easy to tell he is great but I don’t think he looks easily the best on the team and certainly not generational. Saying he looks the best is based on past performance, and “knowing” the player before the event, not performance in this tournament.

All this to say his last season was elite and I am sure he is going to be great but no need to hype him up more when his performance doesn’t warrant it.

Last night he was tame. He doesn’t really have anything to prove because of what he did at u18, but I think if they want to get the best of him they need to play him away from Schmidt. They are two players that look like they need the puck on their stick to succeed, and they don’t play well off each other. Schmidt seems to get tunnel vision sometimes.

As button mentioned I think they should reunited Desnoyers and Mckenna, who were excellent together at the u18
If you are generational it doesn’t matter who you play with. You dominate regardless.

If he needs a different player to play with and look better, that’s an issue with the generational argument
Nothing left to prove? He is two seasons before his draft. He can’t live off the U18 performance only. He is going to have to continue to dominate every tournament and season to be generational. That’s what generational players do.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Three Swedes have 10, 8 and 8 points vs the same teams. So I think if a player has a chance to beat Michkov's scoring records, it'll be one of those Swedes. But they are 17, and Michkov was 16.

My bad, Stenberg is 16, he's still 2.5 months older than Michkov was, but it's a D-2 draft tournament for both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad