F Dalibor Dvorsky - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2023, 10th, STL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Wolves are a talented team.

He'll get to play with the likes of:

Up front
Quinton Musty - 2023 SJS first
David Goyette - 2022 SEA 2nd, and one of the OHL's top point producers
Alex Pharand - While he has been struggling, he's chicago's 2023 5th
Kocha Delic - A dog-on-bone type forward, think Zach Hyman.
Nathan Villeneuve- might get drafted this year.

Defence
Matthew Mania - 2023 LA 5th rounder
Nolan Collins - 2022 Pitts 6th rounder
Djibril Toure - an overager who just signed an ELC

Goalie
Jakub Vondras - Carolina 6th

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Dvorsky is one of those cases who dominate fellow kids just because they're physically imposing. Also, fellow kids can't really expose his poor play against the puck and his poor skating the way pros can. The problem with him playing vs kids is that he already mastered it years ago and can dominate at will as the player he is right now. Though his game isn't good enough to keep up with pros, he doesn't have to change his game to dominate kids. This is a major problem. CHL leagues are great even for very strong players but I'm afraid Dvorsky isn't one of them. Each league, each tournament he played vs kids in he dominated. For years. Despite all of this he keeps on struggling vs men, still hasn't figured it out. That's what his focus should be right now. On changing his game, finally adjusting to pro hockey. He knows it and still went back to juniors. Mindboggling.

The player himself publicly said he's done with junior hockey. Just a few months later he's back playing vs kids. I don't get it. If you know you're not gonna learn anything then why would you give up after 10 games?
He’s 18 years old. Not many 18 year olds play in the AHL.

It seems like he was being misused in the SHL and also didn’t seem ready to be playing against men. A year in the OHL won’t hurt him. The CHL is arguably far more advanced league than J20 and he will have much better resources and developmental programs that will benefit him in the long run.

He might be physically mature, but he’s still a kid, and he needs to work on his skating. He also needs to get acclimated to the North American ice and play style. Feeding him straight to the AHL which is as close to the NHL than any league will result in similar outcomes and results as to what he faced in Sweden. First and foremost, he needs to be playing.

I can imagine him playing in the AHL next year with basically a full year under him in NA and should be much prepared to transition against men. Many CHL’ers end up playing in the AHL and so CHL coaches usually have some transition regiments so players can take the next step into professional hockey.

Sudbury wave him and let him go to a team that has developed top NHL talent like London or a contender like Kitchener :popcorn:
Kitchener is rebuilding.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

It seems like he was being misused in the SHL and also didn’t seem ready to be playing against men. A year in the OHL won’t hurt him. The CHL is arguably far more advanced league than J20 and he will have much better resources and developmental programs that will benefit him in the long run.

He might be physically mature, but he’s still a kid, and he needs to work on his skating. He also needs to get acclimated to the North American ice and play style. Feeding him straight to the AHL which is as close to the NHL than any league will result in similar outcomes and results as to what he faced in Sweden. First and foremost, he needs to be playing.

I can imagine him playing in the AHL next year with basically a full year under him in NA and should be much prepared to transition against men. Many CHL’ers end up playing in the AHL and so CHL coaches usually have some transition regiments so players can take the next step into professional hockey.

Kitchener is rebuilding.
Otto Stenberg was barely over a PPG player in J20 and walked around Canadian players averaging way better numbers in the CHL league. Stenberg would probably have had like 90+ pts in 60 games if he was in the OHL.

I was just going based off standings for the Kitchener take, but the important thing is that there players are producing while Sudbury’s seem to have zero ability to score and the players that their fans seem to think he will play with have little offensive talent. The important thing for Dvorsky is to develop his offensive game on the smaller ice which he will not do playing with guys who have 1 point in 7 games.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Kitchener is rebuilding.
I think you're wrong. Him not learning anything would probably be the best case scenario for Dvorsky playing OHL. That would mean no additional bad habits at least. He's got too many already from playing juniors.

This is a poor decision and it's mindboggling he gave up so early after stating he's done with junior hockey. This is gonna be a lost year for him. Should have stayed in Sweden, maybe give Allsvenskan another shot if he found SHL to be too hard for now.

• Haha
Reactions: howlman

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
In 2nd tier euro leagues, where he sucked it up. Dvorsky has been getting absolutely caved at 5v5 his entire time in Sweden.
Yeah. Which is exactly why he should have stayed to finally figure it out. If that means reduced ice time or sitting in the pressbox from time to time then so be it. The main focus should be the adjustment of his game towards pro hockey and finally working on his weaknesses. He needs to really put in the work with skating and video coaches right now and I'd say it's even more important than game time now. He's got stuff to fix and it's totally not gonna happen while toying with fellow kids.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
Yeah. Which is exactly why he should have stayed to finally figure it out. If that means reduced ice time or sitting in the pressbox from time to time then so be it. The main focus should be the adjustment of his game towards pro hockey and finally working on his weaknesses. He needs to really put in the work with skating and video coaches right now and I'd say it's even more important than game time now. He's got stuff to fix and it's totally not gonna happen while toying with fellow kids.
You’re seriously underrating the strength of the CHL. It’s on a completely different planet to the euro u19/20 leagues Dvorsky has ripped apart

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think you're wrong. Him not learning anything would probably be the best case scenario for Dvorsky playing OHL. That would mean no additional bad habits at least. He's got too many already from playing juniors.

This is a poor decision and it's mindboggling he gave up so early after stating he's done with junior hockey. This is gonna be a lost year for him. Should have stayed in Sweden, maybe give Allsvenskan another shot if he found SHL to be too hard for now.
What makes you think this was solely his choice to “give up”? Oskarshamn could’ve been the ones to say it wasn’t going to work out. Or the Blues didn’t like where it was going and pulled the plug.

I personally would’ve preferred he had stayed in the Allsvenskan this season but I have no idea what his options became once he signed with Oskarshamn and moved to the SHL. Maybe the Allsvenskan wasn’t an option anymore? Idk.

NCAA clearly wouldn’t be an option as he’s played pro hockey on a pro contract so wouldn’t meet college amateur eligibility. That leaves the CHL and AHL. If he was struggling in the SHL then he would clearly not be ready for the AHL either.

It’s possible playing Jrs prevents him from taking that next big step but I don’t see a better option here. He can still work on his skating and agility in Sudbury. It should be good for him to get acclimated to the smaller ice surface and the less time and space that comes with that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You’re seriously underrating the strength of the CHL. It’s on a completely different planet to the euro u19/20 leagues Dvorsky has ripped apart
CHL leagues are good but the Swedish junior leagues are actually good. Really close. I'b be shocked if Dvorsky isn't gonna dominate completely.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What makes you think this was solely his choice to “give up”? Oskarshamn could’ve been the ones to say it wasn’t going to work out. Or the Blues didn’t like where it was going and pulled the plug.

I personally would’ve preferred he had stayed in the Allsvenskan this season but I have no idea what his options became once he signed with Oskarshamn and moved to the SHL. Maybe the Allsvenskan wasn’t an option anymore? Idk.

NCAA clearly wouldn’t be an option as he’s played pro hockey on a pro contract so wouldn’t meet college amateur eligibility. That leaves the CHL and AHL. If he was struggling in the SHL then he would clearly not be ready for the AHL either.

It’s possible playing Jrs prevents him from taking that next big step but I don’t see a better option here. He can still work on his skating and agility in Sudbury. It should be good for him to get acclimated to the smaller ice surface and the less time and space that comes with that.
I'd rather see him average 5mins in the AHL than 20mins in the OHL. This isn't normally the case with prospects but I think the main focus for Dvorsky really should be the work on his weaknesses and adjustments to pro hockey above anything else. Worry about the rest later. I don't see what junior hockey should do for him except gaining confidence and developing even more bad habits, doing even more stuff that's never gonna work in pro hockey. Which is exactly what Dvorsky's problem is. The stuff he does to dominate fellow kids doesn't work vs men firstly because he doesn't have the decision making or skating to get away with it and secondly because he's trying to do stuff that's just never gonna work. This is why he said he's done with junior hockey not long ago and why I think he absolutely should be done with junior hockey.

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013

Attachments

• IMG_0033.gif
    IMG_0033.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I'd rather see him average 5mins in the AHL than 20mins in the OHL. This isn't normally the case with prospects but I think the main focus for Dvorsky really should be the work on his weaknesses and adjustments to pro hockey above anything else. Worry about the rest later. I don't see what junior hockey should do for him except gaining confidence and developing even more bad habits, doing even more stuff that's never gonna work in pro hockey.
this is an extremely bad take. 5 mins in the AHL doesn’t do shit for anyone.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
CHL leagues are good but the Swedish junior leagues are actually good. Really close. I'b be shocked if Dvorsky isn't gonna dominate completely.
I kinda doubt it. The elite, NHL-bound Swedish kids move on from junior into Allsvenskan or the SHL long before their eligibility is up. Contrast that with Canadian major junior where almost every NHL-bound guy remains there until age 20 unless they are ready to play NHL at 18 or 19.

There's just way more NHL ready guys playing in those leagues, the quality of competition is much higher. CHL is an NHL feeder league while Swe Jrs is an Allsvenskan+SHL feeder league. Consider that Canadian NHL rookie of the year winners often come directly from CHL. Barzal, Ekblad, MacKinnon, all played CHL the year before. Elias Pettersson, on the other hand, was 2 years removed from Swedish juniors when he won NHL rookie of the year. The only Swedish guy to win the Calder a year after playing juniors? Gabriel Landeskog, who was in the OHL and also 2 years removed from Swedish Juniors when he started in the NHL.

Reactions: Peasy

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I kinda doubt it. The elite, NHL-bound Swedish kids move on from junior into Allsvenskan or the SHL long before their eligibility is up. Contrast that with Canadian major junior where almost every NHL-bound guy remains there until age 20 unless they are ready to play NHL at 18 or 19.

There's just way more NHL ready guys playing in those leagues, the quality of competition is much higher. CHL is an NHL feeder league while Swe Jrs is an Allsvenskan+SHL feeder league. Consider that Canadian NHL rookie of the year winners often come directly from CHL. Barzal, Ekblad, MacKinnon, all played CHL the year before. Elias Pettersson, on the other hand, was 2 years removed from Swedish juniors when he won NHL rookie of the year. The only Swedish guy to win the Calder a year after playing juniors? Gabriel Landeskog, who was in the OHL and also 2 years removed from Swedish Juniors when he started in the NHL.
The way people shit on the CHL nowadays is so ridiculous lmao. The takes I read about it every year on this site just get more insane. You'd honestly think the CHL has never produced an NHL talent the way some people talk about it here.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
this is an extremely bad take. 5 mins in the AHL doesn’t do shit for anyone.

You're missing the point. It's not about the reps for Dvorsky right now. He has to work on his weaknesses and adjust his game to pro hockey, trying to get away from his junior game which is never gonna work vs men. Playing even more juniors isn't gonna help. Also, the less TOI the more energy he can put into working with video and skating coaches which is important right now. Worry about the reps and all the other stuff later. Get his game on track now.

We're talking about a top10 pick here. Can't still be struggling at pro level in his D+2 season. The transition has to come now or at least it has to start now, this season. Based on what I've seen from Dvorsky another year of junior hockey just isn't gonna help him with that transition when in fact he should be moving on from his junior game. I could be totally wrong but this is what worries me. And trust me, Dvorsky doesn't have to change or improve shit to dominate the OHL.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The way people shit on the CHL nowadays is so ridiculous lmao. The takes I read about it every year on this site just get more insane. You'd honestly think the CHL has never produced an NHL talent the way some people talk about it here.
I didn't see anybody shit on the CHL. They're the best junior leagues. However, not everyone benefits from playing CHL. Every player is unique. There's lots of players stagnating or developing bad habits in the CHL. Top prospects as well. A good recent example would be Brennan Othmann. Last year was a lost year for him at the very best. He actually regressed, developed bad habits. He's not a better player right now compared to a year ago which is disappointing for a player with a previously very good development curve but it was just the one season too much for him. I actually called Othmann just as I'm calling Dvorsky now. Doesn't mean I'm right again and again, this is nothing against the CHL leagues but you have to see that every prospect is different and you can't just say that everybody should be playing CHL just because they're the best junior leagues. Dvorsky actually knows himself he should be moving on from juniors which is why he went public saying he's done playing juniors. Disappointing to see him back in juniors now just a few months later.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I didn't see anybody shit on the CHL. They're the best junior leagues. However, not everyone benefits from playing CHL. Every player is unique. There's lots of players stagnating or developing bad habits in the CHL. Top prospects as well. A good recent example would be Brennan Othmann. Last year was a lost year for him at the very best. He actually regressed, developed bad habits. He's not a better player right now compared to a year ago which is disappointing for a player with a previously very good development curve but it was just the one season too much for him. I actually called Othmann just as I'm calling Dvorsky now. Doesn't mean I'm right again and again, this is nothing against the CHL leagues but you have to see that every prospect is different and you can't just say that everybody should be playing CHL just because they're the best junior leagues. Dvorsky actually knows himself he should be moving on from juniors which is why he went public saying he's done playing juniors. Disappointing to see him back in juniors now just a few months later.
I mean, saying Dvorsky has nothing to learn in the CHL and that he will just develop bad habits playing there is kinda shitting on it is it not?

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Good move. Hope he has a lot of fun playing his age group. Leaned all he could from the pro game. Time to move on.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I mean, saying Dvorsky has nothing to learn in the CHL and that he will just develop bad habits playing there is kinda shitting on it is it not?
I don't think so. Because again, every player has different qualities, different issues, different needs, is at a different stage of his development. I also don't think Dvorsky necessarily has nothing to learn playing CHL...I just don't think he will learn much and I think there's major risks for addional bad habits if he continues to play against kids. This has nothing to do with the CHL leagues...I just think he should no longer play vs kids, focus on finally making the transition to pro hockey. The player himself obviously felt the same way so this is disappointing to see now.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Sometimes it’s terrible for 18 year olds to play in the AHL. Sometimes it’s totally fine. Last year had some notable players succeed there at 18. Jiricek and Kulich went there from the Czech league and made a difference. Kulich lead his team in goals (even while leaving for WJC). Jiricek made his NHL team out of camp this year.

It was the right level for them.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I like the idea of Dvorsky coming to North America, and I was hoping this wasn’t a situation that was gonna linger until after the WJC’s.

I think him getting used to the smaller rink is a smart move, as is boosting his confidence by playing in the OHL against kids his own age. I’d imagine it’s pretty shot right now, so this could help in the long run from just a mental standpoint.

I do have a very unfair gripe, because nobody saw this situation coming, but it’s a bit of a bummer now that he wasn’t in training camp with the Blues. You would’ve been able to see in person if he was ready for the AHL, or if this trip to the OHL was the correct route.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad