F Brett Berard (2020, 134rd, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, he's been good. I know everyone tries to pump up their team's prospects for this tournament and it needs to be put in perspective that he's doing this in an energy role, not a top role. He's not leading the team or anything too great, but as an 18 year old and a 5th round pick, he's making a very positive impact. Very noticeable.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Bernard was bad but he wasn’t the whole providence team looked horrendous.

He’s been one of usa best players today if not the best. He looks like a steal...

Berard perfectly fits the definition of a complementary player. On a struggling team, he won't drive a line. But when he has talented line mates he does so many things well he stands out.

I have often heard the comparison to Marchand (Berard uses it himself). I think another late-rounder Atkinson might be as accurate, though Berard is more physical.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Once you’re past the 3rd round, the expectation of being an NHL player drops drastically. You’re extremely lucky if a 5th rounder becomes an NHL starter. You’re even luckier if he isn’t just a 4th line warm body. It’ll be interesting to see if he can continue with this level of play throughout the tournament and in the AHL to make it to the big show.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
What a pleasant surprised he has turned out to be in the World Juniors. Not sure how he fell to the 5th round.

with COVID impacts, there is going to be an above-average number of gems and busts than a normal draft, due to players not playing, or playing in isolation, injury healing time, different leagues playing at different times, and scout visibility. like, someones 6-month growth spurt now was hidden on draft day.

Berard is a guy who might have moved up to the 2nd round if people saw him play a few more months of hockey.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A little perspective, he has 4 points in 10 games. He's also been on the top line, I believe, most if not all of the games. He was a surprise x-factor at the World Juniors, but he's not really anywhere near being ready to turn pro. Likely a three year college player, if everything goes well. Thats really good for a 5th round pick, but he's still years off the NHL.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The fact this thread only has 2 pages is insane lmao. I’m more optimistic about this kid than anyone in the Rangers system (aside from Kravtsov of course)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Berard spent his off season working out with Alex Newhook and Matt Berniers. Definitely an interesting group to be a part of. He added 10 pounds but is even faster now despite the extra weight.

I have a new interview with Berard coming up soon. Had a call with him last week.

Jesus, 10 lbs on Berard is a dangerous player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad