Post-Game Talk: Expos

3 Stars

• Total voters

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I will say this: if we can play like that with him in the lineup, it gives me a bit of faith that we can hide him in a reduced role.

I know Montreal sucks, but that wasn't even an NHL game last night. The two teams weren't on the same level.

He got exposed pretty hard against that team in a limited role though. I know some people will give him the excuse of coming back from a pretty major injury but it was just more of the same from last year.

He didn't completely nuke getting the puck up ice which is good I guess but again it was Montreal. Florida will be a much better measuring stick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I've been pleasantly surprised with the Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko line so far. It doesn't strike me on paper as the kind of thing that should work- you've got two north-south players and one decidedly east-west, there's no natural playmaker on the line.

I think Chytil deserves the bulk of the credit so far because his speed and puckhandling are opening up space for Kakko, who now is actually finding the puck with time and space instead of almost always on the cycle. He's been making some decent if unspectacular open ice passes.

I still think in an ideal world you have Cuylle on the 4th line with Vesey and Carrick, and add a playmaker on that left wing, but it's been good so far.

Reactions: mas0764

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
bitching after wins is fine. Bitching about the LD on arguably the best defense pair in the league because you saw him get beat or fumble the puck a couple times? Troglodyte behavior

Im a critic of Miller's boneheaed plays, but his game is so much more steady next to Fox compared to Trouba. I want Miller to be aggressive with his pinches. If its a 2 on 1 going the other way, well, thats why we score 5 goals a game and have Igor.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Im a critic of Miller's boneheaed plays, but his game is so much more steady next to Fox compared to Trouba. I want Miller to be aggressive with his pinches. If its a 2 on 1 going the other way, well, thats why we score 5 goals a game and have Igor.
That was my exact thought when he pinched poorly last night. I want that aggressive play because it works 70% of the time and it’s a hdc if it works.

He’s also got the speed to get back.

I live with the poor pinch for trapping the other team in their zone for minutes at a time.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Warrior, gritty, great in the room.

But in all seriousness, the deterioration of
His fundamentals were on full display last night. He’ll get slack because it’s game 1 with no camp for him but it was really just a continuation of the stuff he struggled with last year. Looked really slow too but that can be a lack of reps/fatigue thing. Worth keeping an eye on.

Handled the puck okay though so there was that.

He was horrible last night. It was obvious he can't see well with the new headgear. I'd scratch him against Florida to give him time to fully heal if he is going to be in the lineup. Its Oct. 23, what are they trying to prove by playing him through a facial injury?

Manicini I thought was played amazing given who his partner was. He makes some plays for a 5th round rookie in his 6th career game that made my jaw drop. What a find by Drury.

That was my exact thought when he pinched poorly last night. I want that aggressive play because it works 70% of the time and it’s a hdc if it works.

He’s also got the speed to get back.

I live with the poor pinch for trapping the other team in their zone for minutes at a time.

Miller, and a lot of the team really, has come into the season with a much more businesslike approach. I was worried they might come in like their shit doesnt stink but you can really tell the attention to detail throughout the lineup. Separate note, but the aggressive backchecking by guys like Panarin and Chytil is a sight for sore eyes. We get that consistently and the league is in trouble.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It isn't a stretch to say that by the time he finishes his career, he could be in the conversation for the greatest defenseman in Rangers history.
It's gonna be a two-man discussion but we could potentially have it some day.

Right now, Leetch has the trump card: possibly the greatest Conn Smythe run of all-time en route to a Cup.

That being said, Fox is in the Aaron Judge/Nikola Jokic tier of impacting win-based analytics. His team is quite simply, almost unbeatable when he's on the ice.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I would like to see him grab 5 or 8 when they become available. Traditional numbers FTW.
I've never understood the obsession over numbers. Does it really matter? Will it actually change anything if he wears 8 instead of 90?

In Rangers' history, more forwards have worn 5 and 8 than defensemen, so what exactly is the tradition?

90 just happens to be a number not many Rangers have worn, but the more numbers that get retired, the more those other numbers will get used.

Looking through the Rangers history:

#1 Only goalies
#2 Only dmen
#3 Only dmen
#4 All dmen except Derek Sanderson in 1975

It looks like they only started using numbers in 1951, and only 4 people (all forwards) have worn #7, with Gilbert obviously being the last in 1978.

Given our retired numbers, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are the only single digit numbers remaining, so we are going to see more dmen wearing higher numbers. The last dman to wear #23 before Fox was Karel Rachunek in 2007. Drury wore 23 from 2008-2011, and the first two players to wear that number were goalies (Paille and Villemure).

I'd rather guys pick a number because it means something to them personally, and to hell with whatever is "traditional".

Last edited:

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I've never understood the obsession over numbers. Does it really matter? Will it actually change anything if he wears 8 instead of 90?

In Rangers' history, more forwards have worn 5 and 8 than defensemen, so what exactly is the tradition?

90 just happens to be a number not many Rangers have worn, but the more numbers that get retired, the more those other numbers will get used.

Looking through the Rangers history:

#1 Only goalies
#2 Only dmen
#3 Only dmen
#4 All dmen except Derek Sanderson in 1975

It looks like they only started using numbers in 1951, and only 4 people (all forwards) have worn #7, with Gilbert obviously being the last in 1978.

Given our retired numbers, 4, 5, 6 and 8 are the only single digit numbers remaining, so we are going to seem more dmen wearing higher numbers. The last dman to wear #23 before Fox was Karel Rachunek in 2007. Drury wore 23 from 2008-2011, and the first two players to wear that number were goalies (Paille and Villemure).

I'd rather guys pick a number because it means something to them personally, and to hell with whatever is "traditional".
I have OCD and some numbers are just prettier than others.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
It isn't a stretch to say that by the time he finishes his career, he could be in the conversation for the greatest defenseman in Rangers history.
He did not look that great last game against Leafs where Matthews beat him "like a rented mule" from behind the net to score . That is the part of his game that he lacks versus a Brad Park .

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I've been pleasantly surprised with the Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko line so far. It doesn't strike me on paper as the kind of thing that should work- you've got two north-south players and one decidedly east-west, there's no natural playmaker on the line.

I think Chytil deserves the bulk of the credit so far because his speed and puckhandling are opening up space for Kakko, who now is actually finding the puck with time and space instead of almost always on the cycle. He's been making some decent if unspectacular open ice passes.

I still think in an ideal world you have Cuylle on the 4th line with Vesey and Carrick, and add a playmaker on that left wing, but it's been good so far.
who's decidedly east west. kakko?

i feel like y'all don't watch him play lol he wants to grind in the corners and make a low high pass, go to the net to jam, recover the puck, and do it again. he likes to work behind the net and feed net front.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

Don't forget the improved play of the 4th line and especially the tenacity of Carrick....I love his game and have to wonder why so many hated him being signed .....go figure . A little tenacity can spread through a club WHICH they need in a playoff run . Regular season stats go out the window if you don't want to get down and dirty in the playoffs . Carrick was and is a great add for us . He looks and acts like an NHL player and he will be a leader as well in the room as he has already shown on the ice . He won't cower from anyone like a few we have out there .

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Don't forget the improved play of the 4th line and especially the tenacity of Carrick....I love his game and have to wonder why so many hated him being signed .....go figure
Older player, takes time from the kids, blah blah blah. You'd think people would understand by now that teams need depth, and no GM is going to just hand a spot to an unproven prospect if he can help it.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Older player, takes time from the kids, blah blah blah. You'd think people would understand by now that teams need depth, and no GM is going to just hand a spot to an unproven prospect if he can help it.
I mean he’s not blocking any kids because he’s a center and we have zero in the pipeline.

I’m glad Edstrom finally got a chance. He’s looked good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad