Post-Game Talk: Expos

3 Stars

• Total voters

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
why in the world wasn't that second rangers goal icing? not that it'd have mattered in the end but I'd be pretty livid if I was a Habs fan/player
You still play to the whistle and all but wtf was that

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
People cry that Rempe gets unfair calls due to his "reputation". Meanwhile Trouba's reputation is probably worse and he doesn't get called for his hits usually. Maybe Rempe is *actually* not the cleanest player.

It's a mean game and always has been. People get angry when one of their players gets hurt but 'keep your head up' has a been a thing longer than I've been a hockey fan which goes back into the 70's. Barron on this play thought he could rush the puck down the ice on his own and Trouba was right in front of Barron all through the neutral zone. Barron tried to mitigate the collision by ducking his head....Trouba by that point already committed to the hit. Reputation or not it was a clean hit.

Trouba does have a reputation for knocking opponents into la la land. He's only been suspended once....at least as a Ranger. Some of the hits may seem over the border but there's almost always an argument of why they're not. Part of the reputation as well is because he's equal opportunity---he hits star players too. And Pens and Devils fans particularly don't like it. Their teams aren't physical teams anymore so a high % of them now (and now that they don't have a Matt Cooke or Scott Stevens) think hockey should just be a skills contest.

As far as Rempe.....the suspension for the elbow to Siegenthaler was justified. Other than that his hits have been clean. He gets undeserved penalties for pretty much being too big. If Trouba were 6'8/9 throwing the hits he does he'd be getting penalties for being too big too.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think if that wasn't Trouba throwing that hit then there'd be less pearl clutching about it...
People would still argue over whether hits like that should be allowed etc etc but since it's Trouba people ramp it up more and more.

It's a dangerous hit but it's one that the rules allow and one you can't really legislate out of existence without getting rid of most hitting. It's a textbook step up body check with all parts of it done legally, the guy being hit just ended up in not a great spot right before the hit.

It's nuts to me people watch these things and dissect them over instant replay and act like the players are moving at the slow mo replay speed and Trouba should be able to detect the shifts and movement of Barron and adjust his hit or bail on his hit in a split second. It's not possible to do it that fast...hence, you either allow those hits or you don't but you don't allow any hits as such.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Warrior, gritty, great in the room.

But in all seriousness, the deterioration of
His fundamentals were on full display last night. He’ll get slack because it’s game 1 with no camp for him but it was really just a continuation of the stuff he struggled with last year. Looked really slow too but that can be a lack of reps/fatigue thing. Worth keeping an eye on.

Handled the puck okay though so there was that.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
why in the world wasn't that second rangers goal icing? not that it'd have mattered in the end but I'd be pretty livid if I was a Habs fan/player
You still play to the whistle and all but wtf was that
The Montreal players stopped skating and allowed edstrom to get there first. I assume Ref interpreted by the time the players got to the dots edstrom wud get to the puck first because the Montreal players were loafing it out there.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Lindgren should just rotate in as the 7th
I dunno, I don't want to hate him or something, but at this point yeah all he brings is toughness in terms of surviving, not toughness in terms of making things hard on the other team.

The Montreal players stopped skating and allowed edstrom to get there first. I assume Ref interpreted by the time the players got to the dots edstrom wud get to the puck first because the Montreal players were loafing it out there.
it's a pretty close call, Edstrom was even with the guy closest to him at the dots and Mailleux (can't spell too lazy to look up) was a bit ahead of him, still feels like that's called icing 9.5 times out of 10
that said yeah all the Habs players had to do was take an extra stride and go to the puck instead of bailing on it and expecting the no touch icing

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I hate to be that guy but K'Andre Miller has been brutal

Crushed a can tonight which is great but long term we need to fix this D corps because they're simply not it

This is the most confidence I've ever seen a Rangers team play with. They know they're better than probably 29 other teams in this league.
Sometimes I wonder if Miller is on something....he makes the most boneheaded plays in his own end . He must be the stupidest Dman in the league .

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

His fundamentals were on full display last night. He’ll get slack because it’s game 1 with no camp for him but it was really just a continuation of the stuff he struggled with last year. Looked really slow too but that can be a lack of reps/fatigue thing. Worth keeping an eye on.

Yeah, he is definitely not in top shape. He got turnstiled but it's because it was on the PK and he's stationary in the PK box. Still, he's fast becoming obsolete as the game continues to evolve and demands PMDs. Lavi talked about the evolution of the game in the post game.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think if that wasn't Trouba throwing that hit then there'd be less pearl clutching about it...
People would still argue over whether hits like that should be allowed etc etc but since it's Trouba people ramp it up more and more.

It's a dangerous hit but it's one that the rules allow and one you can't really legislate out of existence without getting rid of most hitting. It's a textbook step up body check with all parts of it done legally, the guy being hit just ended up in not a great spot right before the hit.

It's nuts to me people watch these things and dissect them over instant replay and act like the players are moving at the slow mo replay speed and Trouba should be able to detect the shifts and movement of Barron and adjust his hit or bail on his hit in a split second. It's not possible to do it that fast...hence, you either allow those hits or you don't but you don't allow any hits as such.
I liked the hit but the timing of it was questionable IMO. We were in control and they easily enough could have given him a 5 for it because of the optics of it all . It could have been a momentum changer and in the wrong way . Anyways...I know some won't see it that way which is fine .

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I will say this: if we can play like that with him in the lineup, it gives me a bit of faith that we can hide him in a reduced role.

I know Montreal sucks, but that wasn't even an NHL game last night. The two teams weren't on the same level.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008

Feels like a "let's make an example of him" non-call. LInesman probably thought he was assuming a whistle would blow and was taking things for granted.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
When it comes time to hand over the broadway hat, Kakko is gonna stand up in anticipation only for it to get handed to Lindgren for being a warrior. As Kakko tries to play it off, walking to grab a towel, a lone tear escapes his eye and rolls down to his chin. Chant’s of “Lindy Lindy” erupt behind him as he walks away towards the showers.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I liked the hit but the timing of it was questionable IMO. We were in control and they easily enough could have given him a 5 for it because of the optics of it all . It could have been a momentum changer and in the wrong way . Anyways...I know some won't see it that way which is fine .
Troubas hitting style is basically squat down and explode through the guys chest and chin. Very high injury probability when he connects

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

my favorite is the smug saucy "well if troubas such a good hitter then he should be able to miss his head"

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
1729692298501.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad