Expansion to 36, which city is number 36?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

Surprised at Fertitta given past comments. My guess is this is just to get all the legwork done re BOG so they'd be ready for a possible relocation if it ends up happening.

Also the above....

Also also the results of the above which I find interesting. The results are in the attached picture.

“I don’t see a lot of guys that hated going to Arizona,” one player said. “Not always a lot of fans, but even one of my friends (who played there), he loved it in Arizona — the lifestyle and how it is down there. It is a good spot, but obviously, it’s got to be worth it as well.”

“Arizona just needs better owners,” another player said.

The same could be said for Atlanta. That’s why the NHL is entertaining a return to a northern suburb not far from where the Braves play. But there wasn’t as much passion about returning to a market that twice previously had NHL teams, perhaps in part because most NHL players now are too young to have played

“They’ve tried Atlanta twice, and it failed twice, and I love Arizona, but it hasn’t worked, and I don’t think a new stadium is going to change that unfortunately,” one player said.

Some don’t think the league should return to either. Here’s a sampling from four players:

“There’s a lot of other cities that would die to have an NHL team.”

“There’s a reason why it hasn’t worked before, so maybe try something new.”

“Let’s explore another U.S. market or Canada.”

“I feel like it’s not good when you come back to the same city you just left.”

Clayton Keller, who played all of his eight NHL seasons in Arizona before moving with the team to Utah, hopes the market gets another chance.

“It would be hard to not bring a team back there,” he said, answering the question knowing it would be attributed. “There’s so many great fans there and people around the organization: the Shane Doans, the Ray Whitneys, a lot of guys involved in the hockey community there still to do this day. There’s a long list of guys that still live there, their kids play there. It definitely would be amazing if they brought it back one day.”

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240919_101145_The Athletic.jpg
    Screenshot_20240919_101145_The Athletic.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: sneakytitz

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Surprised at Fertitta given past comments. My guess is this is just to get all the legwork done re BOG so they'd be ready for a possible relocation if it ends up happening.

Also the above....

Also also the results of the above which I find interesting. The results are in the attached picture.
The lifestyle in Phoenix is a plus for many.

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Me too.
I'm surprised about the lacklustre response for Atlanta.

The article pointed out that a fairly significant chunk of players in the league today never played in Atlanta, and those that did mostly got there just as the wheels were coming off the situation. Add to that Atlanta not really having that same "working vacation" vibe you get in Phoenix, and there's no nostalgia there to boot those numbers.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would be surprised if modern NHLer’s have any experience with Atlanta beyond our airport. That’s the general theme when I travel. Everybody knows our airport. Few have set foot outside it. World of Coke just isn’t the draw it used to be.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Yeah Atlanta left the league 13 years ago. How many guys left in the league with 14 or more seasons under their belt? 25-30?

And the reputation of Atlanta is probably better than Houston, I've never heard it described as a tourist destination.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Pittsburgh
Houston and Atlanta are #33 and #34

Portland has been a massively underserved market for a long time. San Diego has a vacuum with the Chargers leaving for LA. Nashville moves to the Eastern conference and Quebec becomes your relocation relief valve for any team instead of just an Eastern one.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Houston and Atlanta are #33 and #34

Portland has been a massively underserved market for a long time. San Diego has a vacuum with the Chargers leaving for LA. Nashville moves to the Eastern conference and Quebec becomes your relocation relief valve for any team instead of just an Eastern one.

So there are definitely different ways of measuring a metro area, but here's what I used - Houston #5, Atlanta #6.

Portland comes in at #25 and does have the Trailblazers, while San Diego (#18) has the Padres. So I don't know about "massively underserved" or "vacuum". But more importantly - there doesn't seem to be anyone in either market looking to bring a hockey team to town.

I've never really bought that realignment is much of an issue for expansion, but Houston (Central) and Atlanta (Atlantic) means no re-alignment is necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad