Expansion draft thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seattle is up against the Wall actually! Vegas had a lot more to choose from in the Forward department and some teams gifted them players and draft picks! Seattle will get additional draft picks too I'm thinking and will likely be able to ice a better younger defensive lineup including a young netminder with huge upside!
Seattle will be different than Vegas. Vegas, when they came in, the ED rules were not known, but when it was revealed that players with NMC had to be protected, some teams got caught having to protect someone that would not have been selected. But, that is on the GM and team for handing out NMC like candy vs just a NTC to the player.

Seattle won't have that as teams knew after Vegas entered that Seattle was a target for an expansion team thus worked the contracts to ensure only the elite got the NMC for the ED.

Where Seattle benefits is the flat cap which will force teams to try to unload contracts for draft capital. But, that will likely leave Seattle with not as strong a team as Vegas.

Plus, this 2021 draft with limited games to view the players will be more of a crapshoot, so pushing picks to 2022 may be the better option for Seattle.

Really unlucky year for Seattle to be joining the NHL, but that's how it is.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If we get to pick only one, I think Ghost is the better option. But if the team wants to hit the cap without spending money, Subban is a good choice too. His cap hit is 9M but will make only 2M of real money from us.

Typically, the NHL year begins on July 1, but with Covid, everything has been pushed back and free agency begins July 28.

Will signing bonuses which are typically due on July 1 be pushed back as well? That will impact a lot of the ED if that is the case. Players will still get their money, just a matter of a potential 4 week delay in getting it.

PA had to sign off on the updated dates, so I don't know if that was agreed upon or not.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Typically, the NHL year begins on July 1, but with Covid, everything has been pushed back and free agency begins July 28.

Will signing bonuses which are typically due on July 1 be pushed back as well? That will impact a lot of the ED if that is the case. Players will still get their money, just a matter of a potential 4 week delay in getting it.

PA had to sign off on the updated dates, so I don't know if that was agreed upon or not.
Am fairly certain the league will make adjustments to those dates.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
upload_2021-2-4_23-17-25.png

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Seattle has to pick 24 or so guys that do have contract status going forward (signed players and QO'd RFAs); the other 6 do not require that.

It's a minimum of 20 players that have to be under contract for at least the 2021-22 season. ;)

Seattle can choose other available players. They don't have to make trades that send draft choices their way in exchange for the drafting of certain players.

Yes, we can pick and choose from what's available.

Though, I think we should look to get as many assets as possible(unless the players available on that team are way too good to pass up), given that I doubt we'll get as much quality as Vegas did simply due to the fact that teams had way more time(and experience) to prepare for our expansion draft.
Plus, this 2021 draft with limited games to view the players will be more of a crapshoot, so pushing picks to 2022 may be the better option for Seattle.

I'd like that too, but I'm pretty sure those other teams would rather give up picks this summer instead of next year or beyond that.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Yes, we can pick and choose from what's available.

Though, I think we should look to get as many assets as possible(unless the players available on that team are way too good to pass up), given that I doubt we'll get as much quality as Vegas did simply due to the fact that teams had way more time(and experience) to prepare for our expansion draft.
I agree - all I was saying was that Seattle does have the option of saying no to a draft pick trade if there's a player they really really want to choose.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Was just playing with the CapFriendly Draft, and maybe others can chime in. Going through Dallas' available players, I noticed Ben Bishop has an NMC, thus, keeping him protected. Would Dallas actually protect him, leaving Khudobin available? Was thinking since Dobby's signed until 2023, him & Jake Allen would be a decent tandem for a couple years while Seattle gets their feet wet. Or, will Dallas somehow move him/buy him out and keep Dobby?
I'd consider a D-man on Dallas or a forward

Reactions: Puckrobber

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
If Jordan Greenway continues to play the way he has been playing for the Wild, I could for sure see losing one of Soucy or Dumba.

I think Soucy is more likely because GMBG will likely be really inspired to get a deal done for Dumba for some sort of decent Center. I think... unless SOMETHING BIG transpires with moving player like Zuccarello or Parise (unlikely now with COVID implications).

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
So far this season Holtby and Quick have been performing poorly. Do you think one of them will be the starter for Kraken? Who do you think will be the most likely goaltending duo?

here are my predictions:

Ryan Miller
Martin Jones
David Rittich

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So far this season Holtby and Quick have been performing poorly. Do you think one of them will be the starter for Kraken? Who do you think will be the most likely goaltending duo?

here are my predictions:

Ryan Miller
Martin Jones
David Rittich

If Jones goes to Seattle, it's because the Sharks traded Labanc or Meier to bribe you guys to take him. I hope that's the case but I doubt it would be. DW has rarely pulled off such deals.

Reactions: The Cobra

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

here are my predictions:

Ryan Miller
Martin Jones
David Rittich

Jones is really bad(we're better off taking an AHL player from the Sharks) and I doubt Ryan Miller will ever play anywhere else besides Anaheim thanks to his family(wife is an actress) and age.

Rittich could be interesting but would be someone to grab during FA.

As far as the expansion draft goes I think Jake Allen is a real possibility and would be a good guy to have for a 1A/1B situation.

BTW: I still could see Holtby being an option purely for the fact that there's next to nothing else available on the Canucks expansion list.
Though, he keeps getting worse and has continued his trend downwards from the last couple of years in Washington.

Quick makes no sense at all and I doubt he's on our list.
He's way too old and expensive and the only way we'd take him is if the Kings would give up some value.
And given that they're still in a rebuilt and won't mind having his contract for another season I doubt there's much they'd be willing to give up in such a szenario.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Jones is really bad(we're better off taking an AHL player from the Sharks) and I doubt Ryan Miller will ever play anywhere else besides Anaheim thanks to his family(wife is an actress) and age.

As far as the expansion draft goes I think Jake Allen is a real possibility and would be a good guy to have for a 1A/1B situation.

BTW: I still could see Holtby being an option purely for the fact that there's next to nothing else available on the Canucks expansion list.
Though, he keeps getting worse and has continued his trend downwards from the last couple of years in Washington.

He's way too old and expensive and the only way we'd take him is if the Kings would give up some value.
And given that they're still in a rebuilt and won't mind having his contract for another season I doubt there's much they'd be willing to give up in such a szenario.
As someone who follows the Sharks a lot. You do NOT want Jones or Vlasic from the Sharks. Vlasic has a NMC so will get protected unless he decides to waive. But Jones will definitely get exposed. I am pretty sure though that we will have some better options from the Sharks.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
As someone who follows the Sharks a lot. You do NOT want Jones or Vlasic from the Sharks. Vlasic has a NMC so will get protected unless he decides to waive. But Jones will definitely get exposed. I am pretty sure though that we will have some better options from the Sharks.
Vlasic no chance. The sharks could probably convince Seattle to take Jones but it would take serious payment

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'd consider a D-man on Dallas or a forward
The forwards and d that dallas will have available won't be that great, it's pretty much either take Khudobin or maybe Dickinson.
Notables:
  • Jason Dickinson, Nick Caamano, Joel L'Esperance for fowards
  • Andrej Sekera for D
  • Khudobin for G

Unless they want to risk picking a UFA then Jamie Oleksiak would be the best pick.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Someone mentioned to me on the Sharks forum that a 2nd and Vlasic would get it done. I think it would take significantly more to take on his contract given how bad he is now.
Thats terrible sorry you had to even waste time reading that. I wouldnt take Vlasic on unless you are getting a top 3 pick with him

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The forwards and d that dallas will have available won't be that great, it's pretty much either take Khudobin or maybe Dickinson.
Notables:
  • Jason Dickinson, Nick Caamano, Joel L'Esperance for fowards
  • Andrej Sekera for D
  • Khudobin for G

Unless they want to risk picking a UFA then Jamie Oleksiak would be the best pick.
Dickinson(26) wouldn't be a horrible choice or maybe Honka(25),Johns(29)

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Holtby,Vanecek,Husso,Ingram and maybe Quick would be the 'tenders I'd zero in on

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Quicker is making 3.5 prorated to 2.3 M in CoVid year with 3.0 M and 2.5M left on the next two years after this one! That's not too expensive for a 2 time Stanley Cup,2 time Jennings winner and Conn Smythe winner!

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Dickinson(26) wouldn't be a horrible choice or maybe Honka(25),Johns(29)
Johns might retire after his contract is up this year due to his headache issues, Honka hasn't translated to an nhl level player. Dickinson would be a decent shout though, he can play up and down the lineup, wouldn't expect too much offense, but he's a solid responsible player

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Holtby,Vanecek,Husso,Ingram and maybe Quick would be the 'tenders I'd zero in on

Holtby hasn't been good for some time and looks really lost in Vancouver so far.
You could try it given that he has only one year left on his deal and there's not much else available on the Canucks, but it could be better just to take a guy like Cole Lind and hope he might become something while being able to spend the money saved on someone else.

I'd throw in Jake Allen(who's really solid and at the very least a top notch 1B option at $2.85 mil), Matiss Kivlenieks, Anton Khoubodin, Jack Campbell as some solid options as well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we'd go after an UFA like Rittich, Grubauer etc.

Quicker is making 3.5 prorated to 2.3 M in CoVid year with 3.0 M and 2.5M left on the next two years after this one! That's not too expensive for a 2 time Stanley Cup,2 time Jennings winner and Conn Smythe winner!

Quick has a cap hit of $5.8 mil(which is the important thing here) and hasn't been all that good for quite some time.
So unless the Kings would offer something significant in return(which they won't because they're still in a rebuilt and in no rush to clear cap space for a run at a top notch FA) it makes no sense in taking him(especially with those other options available).

I mean, P.K. Subban would only be owed $2 mil(which could make him more interesting, especially if we just wanted to hit the cap floor and add a charismatic guy) as well, but his cap hit would be $9m which is the important part in building a roster.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Holtby hasn't been good for some time and looks really lost in Vancouver so far.
You could try it given that he has only one year left on his deal and there's not much else available on the Canucks, but it could be better just to take a guy like Cole Lind and hope he might become something while being able to spend the money saved on someone else.

I'd throw in Jake Allen(who's really solid and at the very least a top notch 1B option at $2.85 mil), Matiss Kivlenieks, Anton Khoubodin, Jack Campbell as some solid options as well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we'd go after an UFA like Rittich, Grubauer etc.

Quick has a cap hit of $5.8 mil(which is the important thing here) and hasn't been all that good for quite some time.
So unless the Kings would offer something significant in return(which they won't because they're still in a rebuilt and in no rush to clear cap space for a run at a top notch FA) it makes no sense in taking him(especially with those other options available).

I mean, P.K. Subban would only be owed $2 mil(which could make him more interesting, especially if we just wanted to hit the cap floor and add a charismatic guy) as well, but his cap hit would be $9m which is the important part in building a roster.
Quick's Cap hit has little to do with actual dollars since his contract was front loaded. So actual real money to Seattle if they decide Quick is their man is 3.0M and 2.5M in 2021-22 and 2022-23!Plus they would get a 'tender that could be traded to a Cup contender for picks. But that might be something the Kings do or not since it looks like their 'tenders on the "Farm" are really "green" at this point

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Thats terrible sorry you had to even waste time reading that. I wouldnt take Vlasic on unless you are getting a top 3 pick with him
In other bad news, the Sharks gave up a top 3 pick to acquire the shell of EK65 and gave him over 14% of their cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad