Examples of 7 game series that didn't feel particularly close and sweeps that felt extremely close?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020
Good one. Maybe my memory is foggy, but I remember thinking at the time how easily it could have been 3-0 Washington going into Game 4, rather than the reverse.

Looking back, Kolzig faced an incredible 64 shots more than Osgood. Truly one of the more underrated and maybe even kind of forgotten netminders.
Never forget Tikkanen missing a wide open net in game 3. :mad: Detroit was clearly the better team, but Kolzig played his ass off.

navyduck

Sep 26, 2011
03 Wings vs Ducks felt much closer. Game one and four went to OT. Game two and three were one goal losses. Every game was basically Giguere standing on his head.

Definitely this series for me. Giggy just played absolutely out of his mind.

That entire playoff run lives rent free in my head.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
2013 ECF stands out to me.

Game 2 got out of hand, but the rest of that series was tight and tense. I felt like the Pens came out dominating play in game 1 but couldn't get anything through Rask, and Krejci popped in a couple timely goals.

Game 3 went to 2OT, and game 4 finished 1-0 on a third period goal.

The Penguins scored two goals all series, but it wasn't for a lack of opportunities. They had some dangerous chances and Rask was just unbeatable. On the other side Vokoun let in some bad ones.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sabres-Senators ECF in 2007 was 4-1 Sens but the Sabres lost game 2 in double OT (friggin Joe Corvo's floaty point shot through traffic), lost game 3 1-0, and lost the series in game 5 in OT.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
2010 Hawks vs Sharks in the WCF

Super close series. It came down to Niemi standing on his head and Byfuglien imposing his will on the ice. Easily the two best teams in the West that year.

Should the NHL have the Hawks and Preds redo their series in case it was a big fluke?​

No disrespect to the preds, I'm a firm believer that Nashville sweeping them was a huge fluke and robbed the Hawks of truly accomplishing what they’re capable of. I've spent the last few years in pure disbelief and it just doesn't make sense to me. I spent the entire regular season watching the Hawks play great hockey it's just not fair.
If the Hawks lose again I will face that the Preds deserved the win, but I am just 100% sure it was a fluke and does a big disservice to the Hawks and the NHL.

The Preds were at their peak in 2017 while the Hawks were past it so Nashville would probably win that series 8/10 times.

That being said the non-goaltender interference game-tying goal in game 3 was bullshit. Crawford literally gets clocked in the head by the Nashville player and is unable to make a play on the puck.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Should the NHL have the Hawks and Preds redo their series in case it was a big fluke?​

No disrespect to the preds, I'm a firm believer that Nashville sweeping them was a huge fluke and robbed the Hawks of truly accomplishing what they’re capable of. I've spent the last few years in pure disbelief and it just doesn't make sense to me. I spent the entire regular season watching the Hawks play great hockey it's just not fair.
If the Hawks lose again I will face that the Preds deserved the win, but I am just 100% sure it was a fluke and does a big disservice to the Hawks and the NHL.
No not at all. The Preds were super well-coached and were flying all over the place. I think Preds fans can correct me if I’m wrong but that’s the best team they’ve ever had.

The Hawks on the other hand were not as good as their record. They didn’t have the talent or depth and it was a firm stamp on the end of the dynasty. They were regular season paper tigers.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
I will always maintain that Edmonton-Colorado 2022 was way closer than a sweep and that Edmonton just didn’t get the bounces to turn it into a 6 game series.

As an Avs fan the St Louis series that year felt like a sweep and the Edmonton series felt like it should have gone 6 games. Edmonton actually maintained puck possession against the Avs and challenged them while St Louis looked like they were on the penalty kill all game every game except for game 2.
Mike Smith completely imploded.

But apparently so did his hip, so explains what happened. With average goaltending the series could have looked different.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
According to Robitaille our 4-1 loss to the Oilers was incredibly close… “ we were right there “.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
2016 SCF. Penguins dominated the Sharks. Jones stole Game 5 from the Penguins. Other than that 4-2 makes it seem a lot closer than it was.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
To me, Edmonton vs Winnipeg in 2021 was a close sweep. Edmonton controlled game 1, but Hellebuyck stood on his head, and the final 3 games were all overtime games, the last being triple OT. It was a sweep, but every game was close.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00