Examples of 7 game series that didn't feel particularly close and sweeps that felt extremely close?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
N
Conversely, if the Canucks won he may have won the Conn Smythe.
Nope. Like Bob, he would have lost it poor play goaltending in finals.
He actually sucked all three game in Boston and was lousey in game 7 in Van.

Tired take. Luongo had some some stinkers but a team that was that injured (including its D corps) and went 7 games while only scoring 8 goals did not have bad goaltending as its biggest issue.

To the OP, I think the Canucks going 6 games against the Kings in 2012 made the series seem closer than it was. That Kings team was a juggernaut.
Yep some stinkers. Old news , yes.
Innthe finals Bobby Lou sucked in games 3, 4, 6.
Poor in game 7.
Thomas was great in all 7 games. Shut out in deciding game 7.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Tr
Nah, this year was actually one of the few recent exits they’ve had where the opposing goalie wasn’t otherworldly. Igor was good, and certainly better than Freddie, but it was the Canes PP that sunk them this year.
Powerplay was bad yes.
Point was they were better out side crease than Rags and still lost.
Same old story. Switch goalies in that series it's a Canes sweep. ha!

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
1987 Finals Edmonton/Philly. It went seven but Edmonton went up 3-1 and it was pretty much a given they'd win out. Philly had some improbable comebacks in Game Five and Six and even when they went up early 1-0 in Game Seven you just knew the Oilers would win.

1993 Montreal/Buffalo. It was a Montreal sweep but all games were one goal games each with a 4-3 final score. The last three were in OT and if the Sabres could have taken even one of them they may have turned the tide. Also, Buffalo outshot Montreal pretty badly all series.

My Best-Carey

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
2001 SCF felt like a blowout/not that close for every game sans the 4th one. An example where going 7 does not = great series.

Not a 7 game series. 2016 felt closer than a sweep than 6 games.

2011 is the ultimate example though

1987 Finals Edmonton/Philly. It went seven but Edmonton went up 3-1 and it was pretty much a given they'd win out. Philly had some improbable comebacks in Game Five and Six and even when they went up early 1-0 in Game Seven you just knew the Oilers would win.

1993 Montreal/Buffalo. It was a Montreal sweep but all games were one goal games each with a 4-3 final score. The last three were in OT and if the Sabres could have taken even one of them they may have turned the tide. Also, Buffalo outshot Montreal pretty badly all series.

My Best-Carey
Philly had an improbable comeback in game 3 too.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah those two games where Boston scored 0 goals and had 0 scoring chances were real blowouts eh

Might be the most delusional thing I've ever read here. Two shutouts and your takeaway is "yeah we got em good" lmao

I guess that reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit. I said that every Boston win was a blowout. Not every game in the series.

Reactions: BTO

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Sharks-Kings in 2014 didn't feel particularly close and it was a miracle the Sharks went up 3-0 imho.

Conversely, Ducks-Jets in 2015 actually felt way closer than a sweep.

It's probably because that WPG crowd was outstanding given that it was their first playoff home game after the team was reformed. There were points of the game where they just kept cheering at full throttle for minutes on end, even during TV timeouts.

edit:

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ducks Devils just had a weird feeling to it in 2003.

Not a particularly memorable series other than kariya's redemption game and brodeur scoring on himself. I suppose giguere receiving the conn smythe as a loser sticks out but that is more of a post series memory rather than the series itself.

You just never quite got the feeling that Anaheim was going to pull it out despite going the distance. The game 7 itself was depressing to watch for a person with no horse in the race.

Reactions: Voight

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Ducks Devils just had a weird feeling to it in 2003.

Not a particularly memorable series other than kariya's redemption game and brodeur scoring on himself. I suppose giguere receiving the conn smythe as a loser sticks out but that is more of a post series memory rather than the series itself.

You just never quite got the feeling that Anaheim was going to pull it out despite going the distance. The game 7 itself was depressing to watch for a person with no horse in the race.
Because they kept getting massively outplayed on the road.

Had game been in Anaheim, I like their chances better.

But yeah. It never did feel as though they would win the cup.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The Kings swept the Blues in 2012 but that series felt closer than either the series against Phoenix or New Jersey. The only game that was a runaway was game 2.

That's the series that came to mind for me.

Quick was huge in that series, especially game 4, to hold the fort for a nervous Kings team.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It felt close when the Jets swept the Oilers. Game. All 4 games were won by 1 goal (game 1 adding an empty net goal) and the other 3 games going to OT.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Ducks sweeping the Flames in '17 was a much closer series. Flames got horrendous goaltending, especially in key moments that cost them at least two games. NHL allowing high stick goals from the Ducks after review when they're clearly a foot above the crossbar. Right after this series the Flames went out and traded for Mike Smith. In his first year as a Flame Mike Smith broke the curse at the Pond and the Flames actually won in Anaheim.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Yeah those two games where Boston scored 0 goals and had 0 scoring chances were real blowouts eh

Might be the most delusional thing I've ever read here. Two shutouts and your takeaway is "yeah we got em good" lmao
You may want to work on your reading skills

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I see alot of posts about "close" sweeps, but isn't that more common than series where teams just get their ass handed to them in each of the 4 games?

I've seen my team on both the winning side and the losing side of sweeps, and I tend to recall that for the most part, those series had close games.

Bottom line though, I dont believe in "close" sweeps. If you had four kicks at the can and were not able to pull one out.... then you lost convincingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad