Examples of 7 game series that didn't feel particularly close and sweeps that felt extremely close?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Ducks sweeping the Flames in '17 was a much closer series. Flames got horrendous goaltending, especially in key moments that cost them at least two games. NHL allowing high stick goals from the Ducks after review when they're clearly a foot above the crossbar. Right after this series the Flames went out and traded for Mike Smith. In his first year as a Flame Mike Smith broke the curse at the Pond and the Flames actually won in Anaheim.
My brain somehow managed to smoosh the two events together, for some reason I always remember breaking the curse that playoffs, despite my brain knowing and remembering the only game we won was at home. :laugh::laugh:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I see alot of posts about "close" sweeps, but isn't that more common than series where teams just get their ass handed to them in each of the 4 games?

Yeah, I can't think of too many series like that. The Rangers manhandled the Islanders in '94 and the Red Wings annihilated the Sharks in '95 after being upset by them in seven games.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulD

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Ducks Devils just had a weird feeling to it in 2003.

Not a particularly memorable series other than kariya's redemption game and brodeur scoring on himself. I suppose giguere receiving the conn smythe as a loser sticks out but that is more of a post series memory rather than the series itself.

You just never quite got the feeling that Anaheim was going to pull it out despite going the distance. The game 7 itself was depressing to watch for a person with no horse in the race.
The Ducks scored 3 goals total in NJ that series all in game 5, and they gave up 6 that game. Ducks were also shutout in Game 4 in regulation, but ended up winning 1-0 in OT. So 4 of the 7 games the Ducks didn’t score in 60 minutes (they also needed OT to win Game 3).

Reactions: PaulD

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Caps put up a pretty good fight against the big red machine in 98 finals despite being sweept , didnt feel any better though and it was a long way back.

Good one. Maybe my memory is foggy, but I remember thinking at the time how easily it could have been 3-0 Washington going into Game 4, rather than the reverse.

Looking back, Kolzig faced an incredible 64 shots more than Osgood. Truly one of the more underrated and maybe even kind of forgotten netminders.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
‘97 Ducks vs. Detroit

Game 1: 2-1 Detroit win in OT
Game 2: 3-2 Detroit win in 3 OT
Game 3: 5-3 Detroit win
Game 4: 3-2 Detroit win in 2 OT

‘03 was the payback because Detroit dominated the game play and lost 4 straight by 1 goal. Game 1 in 3 OT game and Game 4 in 1 OT. Game 3 they were up 2-1 and gave up 2 to the Ducks in the 3rd.

Reactions: PaulD and DamonDRW

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The year Giguere won the Conn Smythe.. Round 1 vs the Red Wings.

Anaheim swept Detroit, but Detroit was the one controlling the play every period. They just could't beat JSG. It certainly wasn't lopsided for who won the series, that's for sure.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
1987 Finals Edmonton/Philly. It went seven but Edmonton went up 3-1 and it was pretty much a given they'd win out. Philly had some improbable comebacks in Game Five and Six and even when they went up early 1-0 in Game Seven you just knew the Oilers would win.

1993 Montreal/Buffalo. It was a Montreal sweep but all games were one goal games each with a 4-3 final score. The last three were in OT and if the Sabres could have taken even one of them they may have turned the tide. Also, Buffalo outshot Montreal pretty badly all series.

My Best-Carey
and Moginy broke his leg

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The year Giguere won the Conn Smythe.. Round 1 vs the Red Wings.

Anaheim swept Detroit, but Detroit was the one controlling the play every period. They just could't beat JSG. It certainly wasn't lopsided for who won the series, that's for sure.
and Joseph stunk for the the Wings

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021

Should the NHL have the Hawks and Preds redo their series in case it was a big fluke?​

No disrespect to the preds, I'm a firm believer that Nashville sweeping them was a huge fluke and robbed the Hawks of truly accomplishing what they’re capable of. I've spent the last few years in pure disbelief and it just doesn't make sense to me. I spent the entire regular season watching the Hawks play great hockey it's just not fair.
If the Hawks lose again I will face that the Preds deserved the win, but I am just 100% sure it was a fluke and does a big disservice to the Hawks and the NHL.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
This year's Leafs Bruins series, and that one went all the way to G7 OT. Even when the Leafs started clawing their way back in the series and took the lead in Game 7 it still felt like they were just delaying the inevitable

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
This year's Leafs Bruins series, and that one went all the way to G7 OT. Even when the Leafs started clawing their way back in the series and took the lead in Game 7 it still felt like they were just delaying the inevitable

Yeah, I never thought TOR was going to win, but that's more because TOR is TOR than because of anything BOS was doing.

I don't think the Bruins were dominant or anything in that series. I knew by the latter stages of that series that a better team would beat them without too much difficulty, which is what ended up happening.

heynowbababooey

Sep 29, 2017
2007 Ducks-Wild were all 1goal games outside of Game 5.

Are you trying to say that series was closer than 5 games? Because I was there for games 1, 2 and 5 and never at any point did it feel like Minnesota had control of the game. Game 4 was a fluke partly due to Bryz coming back down to earth. I'd say the 03 sweep was closer than this series even with the wild only scoring 1 goal.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I missed most of it due to midterms and as I recall it ESPN/ESPN2 didn't air a couple games but looking back the 2000 Devils/Panthers series years later and it was closer than I remembered.

Game 1: Devils 4 - Panthers 3
Game 2: Devils 2 - Panthers 1
Game 3: Devils 2 - Panthers 1
Game 4: Devils 4 - Panthers 1 (couple late goals, was 2-1 with five minutes left in regulation)

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I see alot of posts about "close" sweeps, but isn't that more common than series where teams just get their ass handed to them in each of the 4 games?

I've seen my team on both the winning side and the losing side of sweeps, and I tend to recall that for the most part, those series had close games.

Bottom line though, I dont believe in "close" sweeps. If you had four kicks at the can and were not able to pull one out.... then you lost convincingly.
I mean thats one take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad