Examples of 7 game series that didn't feel particularly close and sweeps that felt extremely close?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I will always maintain that Edmonton-Colorado 2022 was way closer than a sweep and that Edmonton just didn’t get the bounces to turn it into a 6 game series.

As an Avs fan the St Louis series that year felt like a sweep and the Edmonton series felt like it should have gone 6 games. Edmonton actually maintained puck possession against the Avs and challenged them while St Louis looked like they were on the penalty kill all game every game except for game 2.

Klargplutte

Sep 15, 2012
Caps put up a pretty good fight against the big red machine in 98 finals despite being sweept , didnt feel any better though and it was a long way back.

Reactions: Video Nasty

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Panthers vs Canes in 2023. Closest sweep I personally watched. I always felt like the Canes could have just as easily won any of those games.

I believe two games went to OT and one game had the GWG scored with less than 10 seconds remaining?

And even though all the wins went to the Panthers, the Canes were controlling the play in the majority of those games. Just couldn't solve Bob.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is the one. Canucks won all three of their games by a goal and got obliterated in all their losses.
Luongo sucked

I believe two games went to OT and one game had the GWG scored with less than 10 seconds remaining?

And even though all the wins went to the Panthers, the Canes were controlling the play in the majority of those games. Just couldn't solve Bob.
Then they got Shesterkin-ed this year. Canes carried the play most of the series.
Freddy sucked

Reactions: DaveG

CarlSneep

Feb 26, 2023
The Kings swept the Blues in 2012 but that series felt closer than either the series against Phoenix or New Jersey. The only game that was a runaway was game 2.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Then they got Shesterkin-ed this year. Canes carried the play most of the series.
Freddy sucked

Nah, this year was actually one of the few recent exits they’ve had where the opposing goalie wasn’t otherworldly. Igor was good, and certainly better than Freddie, but it was the Canes PP that sunk them this year.

Reactions: DaveG

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Luongo sucked
Tired take. Luongo had some some stinkers but a team that was that injured (including its D corps) and went 7 games while only scoring 8 goals did not have bad goaltending as its biggest issue.

To the OP, I think the Canucks going 6 games against the Kings in 2012 made the series seem closer than it was. That Kings team was a juggernaut.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
For a seven game series...

Habs-Leafs.

The Habs have been living rent-free in the Leaf psyche for decades. The slightest push-back from the aplha males caused the Leafs to fall back with ingrained submissiveness.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
This is the one. Canucks won all three of their games by a goal and got obliterated in all their losses.

This is the first one that came to mind. People cite it as a great series, but the Canucks weren't close in any of their losses and barely won the games they did win. The series score was ridiculously lopsided.

This may not be a popular opinion, but for me NYR/LA in 2014 felt a lot closer than 4-1. The Kings were clearly the better possession team in the series and deserved their win, but I've always felt that with a bounce or two, the series could have been drastically different. Three of LA's wins came in OT (I believe two in two OT or later). I distinctly remember a Stepan OT post in one of the first two games and a Zuccarello tip off the post in Game Five.

Reactions: devbouz12

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Tired take. Luongo had some some stinkers but a team that was that injured (including its D corps) and went 7 games while only scoring 8 goals did not have bad goaltending as its biggest issue.

To the OP, I think the Canucks going 6 games against the Kings in 2012 made the series seem closer than it was. That Kings team was a juggernaut.

I'm pretty sure that was a five games series (I checked and it was). That feels about right. The Kings were definitely the superior team despite being the 8th seed.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'm pretty sure that was a five games series (I checked and it was). That feels about right. The Kings were definitely the superior team despite being the 8th seed.
My bad! It was the last game where the score was 4-2 and I’ve been reading that as the series result for years. Here’s to senility!

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Canes didn't even get swept last year, only Rod could perceive what actually happened on the ice. #LookIntoIt

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver pretty much got blown out in every one of their losses in the 2011 finals.
Yeah those two games where Boston scored 0 goals and had 0 scoring chances were real blowouts eh

Might be the most delusional thing I've ever read here. Two shutouts and your takeaway is "yeah we got em good" lmao

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Panthers vs Canes in 2023. Closest sweep I personally watched. I always felt like the Canes could have just as easily won any of those games.
As much fun as it is to meme on Brind'Amour for basically saying this exact thing, I tend to agree. Two overtime games and another basically-overtime with the winner scored with 4 seconds left. Carolina basically controlled all the possession too, but they just couldn't solve Bobrovsky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad