Speculation: Examples of “Future Considerations” Coming to Fruition

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think it mostly materializes in the form of favours. Will you be the third team to facilitate this deal? I need to get rid of an extra contract, will you take it? Etc

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Could simply be sacrificing value of a pick in a later trade such as taking a 4th instead of a 3rd, or tossing on a 7th.
More often than not, next to impossible for us to determine that from the outside.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
About 5 to 10 years ago the rules for FC changed. When a trade includes FC the teams have to tell the NHL what the FC are. So there is no surprises down the road

Why did the NHL finally put in place? There were several trades where teams got sneaky and because FCs were not defined--teams hid players

Back in the 80s there was a waiver draft

I will start at the end and work my way back

Oilers had Craig Muni and did not want to lose him. October 86 the oilers did this

• 1986-Oct-02 Traded from Edmonton Oilers to Buffalo Sabres for cash
  • 1986-Oct-03 Traded from Buffalo Sabres to Pittsburgh Penguins for future considerations
  • 1986-Oct-06 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Edmonton Oilers for to complete earlier deal

what was the earlier deal?

Giles Meloche trade

There were no FCs that were public knowledge at the time of the trade. Oilers did this 3 times I think in the 80s

and if it is a player to be named later? It can not be someone on the current roster any more if the player does not move within a few days of the trade and is not allowed to play for the team that is trading him during that time.

Vancouver/Hartford found the loop hole for that--1993

March 22nd Hartford traded Murrey Craven to Vancouver for Robert Kron, a 3rd rounder and a player to be named later. When the season ended? Vancouver traded Jim Sandlack to Hartford for finish the deal, Meaning the Canucks had both Craven and Sandlack on their roster for the playoffs that year and even though the Canucks went nowhere in the playoffs--teams protested that this trade happen and the league stepped in

I remember hearing an interview with some former GM, can’t remember who now, said sometimes future considerations would be stuff like paying the hotel bill the next time a team is in your town or other random things but more often then not it would end up as nothing.
I know with Burke it was dinner and drink a few times

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
About 5 to 10 years ago the rules for FC changed. When a trade includes FC the teams have to tell the NHL what the FC are. So there is no surprises down the road

Why did the NHL finally put in place? There were several trades where teams got sneaky and because FCs were not defined--teams hid players

Back in the 80s there was a waiver draft

I will start at the end and work my way back

Oilers had Craig Muni and did not want to lose him. October 86 the oilers did this

• 1986-Oct-02 Traded from Edmonton Oilers to Buffalo Sabres for cash
  • 1986-Oct-03 Traded from Buffalo Sabres to Pittsburgh Penguins for future considerations
  • 1986-Oct-06 Traded from Pittsburgh Penguins to Edmonton Oilers for to complete earlier deal

what was the earlier deal?

Giles Meloche trade

There were no FCs that were public knowledge at the time of the trade. Oilers did this 3 times I think in the 80s

and if it is a player to be named later? It can not be someone on the current roster any more if the player does not move within a few days of the trade and is not allowed to play for the team that is trading him during that time.

Vancouver/Hartford found the loop hole for that--1993

March 22nd Hartford traded Murrey Craven to Vancouver for Robert Kron, a 3rd rounder and a player to be named later. When the season ended? Vancouver traded Jim Sandlack to Hartford for finish the deal, Meaning the Canucks had both Craven and Sandlack on their roster for the playoffs that year and even though the Canucks went nowhere in the playoffs--teams protested that this trade happen and the league stepped in

I know with Burke it was dinner and drink a few times

The ECHL still has Future Considerations trades, in fact the deadline to complete FC trades this year is June 20.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
In 2009 Tampa traded Jay Rosehill to Toronto for future considerations. I plugged those future considerations into an inflation calculator and it looks like Tampa is now owed back Auston Matthews.

Cool, you have to take all of Matthews' cap hit too.

Wasn't Kris Draper traded to Detroit from Winnipeg for futures, and it turned out to be $1?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Wasn't Kris Draper traded to Detroit from Winnipeg for futures, and it turned out to be $1?

41pmgm.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad