OT: Ex Long Islander Needs Recommendation for Blue Fish Restaurant

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I hope this posting isn't pushing the limits of the HF Board. I spent the first 25 years of my life in Commack.
Every summer we would go out to Montauk for a couple of days and just before we left my dad would
go down to the pier where the fishing boats came in and buy some of the excess Blue Fish from the charter boats.
He would put it in the freezer and we'd have blue fish for dinner until September.
Anyway, I return to LI every year around Christmas catch an Islanders game and return to the LA or AZ.
I plan on coming back to Long Island in mid-August (my first summer trip in over 20 years) and I'm dying for some Long Island Blue Fish. Both of my parents have passed away, but I'm coming to see my sister, nieces and nephews and my cousins. I've asked my sister and my niece to recommend a good Long Island seafood restaurant that serves Blue Fish. They both told me they don't go out to eat much, they mainly cook at home, so I'm at a loss as to where to go.
Since this site is my only other connection to Long Island, I'm hoping for some recommendations. I don't plan on going out east, so please don't recommend the Hamptons or Montauk. I'm thinking somewhere from Huntington to the South Shore. Sorry for the long post.

Bluefish ? Did you eat a lot of bologna and deli ham as a kid? I’ve tossed back hundreds of blue while fishing for stripers . Most annoying fish in the sea. Maybe Arthur Treachers ( are they still around ? ) for a bluefish meal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'd do just about anything to have Arthur Treachers again.

And Roy Rogers. Don't even know if those are still around.
Yeah, those two were high on my list of favorite fast food way back when. There's a Roy Rogers in the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension Allentown rest stop, of all places.

BTW, probably my #1 junk food treat from back then were the roadside trucks selling Sabrett's hot dogs topped with the onion/spicy red sauce stuff.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I'd do just about anything to have Arthur Treachers again.

And Roy Rogers. Don't even know if those are still around.
It’s worth noting that with the closure of many Friendly’s, it will be much harder to satisfy your cravings for a Friendly’s Fishamajig.

I’m well aware that this is no great loss.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
It’s worth noting that with the closure of many Friendly’s, it will be much harder to satisfy your cravings for a Friendly’s Fishamajig.

I’m well aware that this is no great loss.
Friendly's should’ve started serving alcohol. Probably would’ve helped them hold on a little longer. Not that I care they’re mostly gone. Just saying.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Atlanta
Yeah, those two were high on my list of favorite fast food way back when. There's a Roy Rogers in the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension Allentown rest stop, of all places.

BTW, probably my #1 junk food treat from back then were the roadside trucks selling Sabrett's hot dogs topped with the onion/spicy red sauce stuff.
There was an Arthur Treachers in Syracuse when I went to college. I think that was the last time.

I definitely miss those two along with Carvel and Nathan's, although you can find Nathan's in weird places like airports and stuff.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
There was an Arthur Treachers in Syracuse when I went to college. I think that was the last time.

I definitely miss those two along with Carvel and Nathan's, although you can find Nathan's in weird places like airports and stuff.
I think Arthur Treachers might be gone. Too bad. Those golden triangles of deliciousness were amazing. :laugh:

I didn't think of Nathan's - definitely up there as well. I could really go for a hot pastrami on rye and some fries that you eat with the little wooden fork.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

IMG_1138.png
IMG_1137.png
IMG_1136.png

Back in th 80s and 90s a bit in Florida this was on what seemed like every highway or Hot Dog spot .. oh the 80s I miss ya

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
View attachment 899412View attachment 899414View attachment 899415

Back in th 80s and 90s a bit in Florida this was on what seemed like every highway or Hot Dog spot .. oh the 80s I miss ya
And on Long Island they had the hot dog hooker.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Reactions: Glory Days

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That's a hot taek when Sea Robin, Dogfish and Skates exist.
I think I didn't properly appreciate how nice day-of fluke really was as a kid. 4-8 minutes cook time, seasoned with a squeeze of lemon and a shake or two of pepper. Perhaps it was because my parents didn't cook them in a foil packet... Gonna bring *that* up in therapy.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I think Arthur Treachers might be gone. Too bad. Those golden triangles of deliciousness were amazing. :laugh:

I didn't think of Nathan's - definitely up there as well. I could really go for a hot pastrami on rye and some fries that you eat with the little wooden fork.
Arthur Treacher's fish and chips was actually spiny dogfish or pollack fish. Two of the ugliest fish in the sea but tasty apparently when fried. I liked them too.

I think the Arthur Treacher's in West Hempstead used to be a Wetsons. Anyone remember that? Right across the White Castle if it's still there.

As for bluefish. Those are good only when freshly caught and if you removed the dark meat along the spine that had all the mercury and PCBs anyway. Large bluefish are good freshly caught and bled, filleted and put on a rack so all the oils would drip off the fillet. Bake that with butter, chives, and mustard mayo sauce and bluefish is delicious.

Otherwise stick with the snapper blues under 1 pound pan fried in oil. Yum and otherwise known as manna from heaven.

When I lived in Boston Legal Seafoods used to serve blackened blue fish which was also pretty good.

Point is if you are visiting Long Island right now until end of September head to any fishing pier and fish for baby blues yourself with a float and some spearing as bait or use an acme Kastmaster and jig for those babies. No reason to head for a restaurant.

BTW I missed the playoffs did we do well?

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Arthur Treacher's fish and chips was actually spiny dogfish or pollack fish. Two of the ugliest fish in the sea but tasty apparently when fried. I liked them too.

I think the Arthur Treacher's in West Hempstead used to be a Wetsons. Anyone remember that? Right across the White Castle if it's still there.

As for bluefish. Those are good only when freshly caught and if you removed the dark meat along the spine that had all the mercury and PCBs anyway. Large bluefish are good freshly caught and bled, filleted and put on a rack so all the oils would drip off the fillet. Bake that with butter, chives, and mustard mayo sauce and bluefish is delicious.

Otherwise stick with the snapper blues under 1 pound pan fried in oil. Yum and otherwise known as manna from heaven.

When I lived in Boston Legal Seafoods used to serve blackened blue fish which was also pretty good.

Point is if you are visiting Long Island right now until end of September head to any fishing pier and fish for baby blues yourself with a float and some spearing as bait or use an acme Kastmaster and jig for those babies. No reason to head for a restaurant.

BTW I missed the playoffs did we do well?
Bait for snappers? Blasphemy

Stick to the snapper poppers, a lot more fun and cool when they hit the top water

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The best bluefishing I ever experienced was off the Glouster MA Jetty. That jetty the boat passes by in the movie A Perfect Storm.

At dusk you take a 11 foot surf rod and 6 inch striper swiper popper lure and reel in as fast as you humanly can all the whilst frantically jerking the rod tip and BAMM! that water just explodes with that tail slap and you just hang on for dear life. Those fish are so strong the surface- and these were some sort of Atlantic African species of bluefish-- they were huge all 27 inches or above and you can lean back and they would hold you during their runs. Amazing fish!

That where I learned to broil bluesfish fillets with chives and mayo.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Man, fishing on LI sucks unless you’re going for stripers or live near the city or east end lol

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Man, fishing on LI sucks unless you’re going for stripers or live near the city or east end lol
Kinda telling on yourself here. Fishing is pretty solid out of Jones, FI, Moriches inlets from spring to fall.

A decent fishery considering the variety that can be caught - striped bass, sea bass, blackfish, fluke, bluefish.
Then offshore you can get mako, thresher, tuna, Mahi, billfish and even cobia now with the warming ocean.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Kinda telling on yourself here. Fishing is pretty solid out of Jones, FI, Moriches inlets from spring to fall.

A decent fishery considering the variety that can be caught - striped bass, sea bass, blackfish, fluke, bluefish.
Then offshore you can get mako, thresher, tuna, Mahi, billfish and even cobia now with the warming ocean.
Unfortunately had to stick to the north shore, since WICC is Sound only, so all those places were out of play

Caught 3 nice bass though, two way over slot, 1 that was about 31 inches. A big-ass porgy too lol

Been fishing between Oyster Bay and Port Jeff my whole life. Compared to when I was a kid, fluking has tanked, good luck finding flounder, bluefish come in later and later. Stripers, Blackfish, and Sea Bass (out towards the middle grounds) are the only fish that we consistently have decent luck with up here but Stripers are even rough since there’s only a 3 inch slot nowadays

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Unfortunately had to stick to the north shore, since WICC is Sound only, so all those places were out of play

Caught 3 nice bass though, two way over slot, 1 that was about 31 inches. A big-ass porgy too lol

Been fishing between Oyster Bay and Port Jeff my whole life. Compared to when I was a kid, fluking has tanked, good luck finding flounder, bluefish come in later and later. Stripers, Blackfish, and Sea Bass (out towards the middle grounds) are the only fish that we consistently have decent luck with up here but Stripers are even rough since there’s only a 3 inch slot nowadays

If you’re talking the sound, I completely agree with you lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 9