Confirmed with Link: Evgeny Svechnikov signed to 1 year two way deal.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Awesome that we're finally signing real NHL players like Svechnikov who hit a new career high of 19 points in 72 games last year, his 5th season in the league

We can't waste a roster spot on a washout like Dahlen who put up 22 points in 61 games as a rookie, that would be stupid
Great surface level analysis. Of course if you bother looking any deeper you'll see Svechnikov scored all 19 of those points at even strength compared to Dahlen who only had 15 even strength points despite averaging three full minutes more per game than Svech. Dahlen was also one of the worst defensive players in the league while Svechnikov was above average defensively in his role.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Great surface level analysis. Of course if you bother looking any deeper you'll see Svechnikov scored all 19 of those points at even strength compared to Dahlen who only had 15 even strength points despite averaging three full minutes more per game than Svech. Dahlen was also one of the worst defensive players in the league while Svechnikov was above average defensively in his role.

No, you're right, Svechnikov was a huge boon to the Jets last year, really changed their fortunes, thank God we're finally prioritizing signing real talent

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
No, you're right, Svechnikov was a huge boon to the Jets last year, really changed their fortunes, thank God we're finally prioritizing signing real talent
What an insane standard to set for a guy we just signed to a two way contract. Svechnikov performed like a legit NHLer last season and Dahlen did not.

It’s impressive that Grier has managed to add enough forward depth that even the guys 13th/14th on the depth chart have NHL skill when you couldn’t even say that confidently about our 7th or 8th best forward each of the last three years.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
What an insane standard to set for a guy we just signed to a two way contract. Svechnikov performed like a legit NHLer last season and Dahlen did not.

It’s impressive that Grier has managed to add enough forward depth that even the guys 13th/14th on the depth chart have NHL skill when you couldn’t even say that confidently about our 7th or 8th best forward each of the last three years.
Well DW was just being a proud father and supporting his son by helping his draft picks get NHL time.

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Dahlen was not a Sharks pick.
No but Leonard, Weatherby, Reedy, Gambrell and a bunch of other guys who had no business playing as many NHL games as they did over the last few seasons were Sharks picks.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

No, you're right, the problem with last year's team was that we needed to replace Dahlen with a clone of Andrew Cogliano, not that we were utterly talent deficient at every position, had an injured starting goaltender and had a coach who fumbled through adversity

Yep, Grier fixed everything by swapping replacement level depth pieces out for different replacement level depth pieces, the organizational turn around has been absolutely stunning

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No, you're right, the problem with last year's team was that we needed to replace Dahlen with a clone of Andrew Cogliano, not that we were utterly talent deficient at every position, had an injured starting goaltender and had a coach who fumbled through adversity

Yep, Grier fixed everything by swapping replacement level depth pieces out for different replacement level depth pieces, the organizational turn around has been absolutely stunning
I’m guessing you’re responding to Hodge cause I have him on ignore and it looks like you’re arguing with yourself (which is very entertaining by the way) :laugh: :sarcasm:

Anyway what I think Grier has done well (which also might come back to bite him in the ass) is create competition. I don’t like Dahlen and there’s a reason no NHL team signed him. In all honesty he probably should have been on a sheltered third line rather than on a line with Couture. I don’t think he offers much outside of just being there. I think if we had any other option, he would have been beaten out. The sharks literally have 15 bottom sixers right now that all have varying levels of usefulness, waiver exemption, salaries, etc. but I do think we will see some guys claimed off waivers from us this year. It’ll be interesting to see how Quinn and Grier handle this. I don’t think the Sharks necessarily improved overall but they did add a ton more numbers and are hoping one or two stick out.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I’m guessing you’re responding to Hodge cause I have him on ignore and it looks like you’re arguing with yourself (which is very entertaining by the way) :laugh: :sarcasm:

Anyway what I think Grier has done well (which also might come back to bite him in the ass) is create competition. I don’t like Dahlen and there’s a reason no NHL team signed him. In all honesty he probably should have been on a sheltered third line rather than on a line with Couture. I don’t think he offers much outside of just being there. I think if we had any other option, he would have been beaten out. The sharks literally have 15 bottom sixers right now that all have varying levels of usefulness, waiver exemption, salaries, etc. but I do think we will see some guys claimed off waivers from us this year. It’ll be interesting to see how Quinn and Grier handle this. I don’t think the Sharks necessarily improved overall but they did add a ton more numbers and are hoping one or two stick out.

Lol

This I can definitely agree with

I like that the prospects have to beat out some established players rather than just being handed a roster spot

I just can't agree that that will result in some major culture change that helps turn the team around because our biggest problem is still a lack of top end talent

That's why I am upset with letting Dahlen walk, even with the warts in his game he was one of the stand out talents on our roster last year, letting that go for nothing doesn't help us get more talented unless we replace him with someone more talented, which we did not

Reactions: Gecklund

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I just can't agree that that will result in some major culture change that helps turn the team around because our biggest problem is still a lack of top end talent
Literally nobody has made this argument. It's just nice to see the new management team try to ice an actual NHL roster instead of putting faith in shit tier prospects magically forming one.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Literally nobody has made this argument. It's just nice to see the new management team try to ice an actual NHL roster instead of putting faith in shit tier prospects magically forming one.

You've been posting about how great our additions are going to be for the locker room culture since free agency opened, but whatever you say

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You've been posting about how great our additions are going to be for the locker room culture since free agency opened, but whatever you say
Because they will be. They are not going to "help turn the team around" in the standings. This will be a bottom ten team again but at least they will be able to ice a respectable lineup and, most importantly, keep prospects like Eklund and Bordeleau who are not ready for the NHL out of it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lol

I like that the prospects have to beat out some established players rather than just being handed a roster spot

That's why I am upset with letting Dahlen walk, even with the warts in his game he was one of the stand out talents on our roster last year, letting that go for nothing doesn't help us get more talented unless we replace him with someone more talented, which we did not
Yeah I mean I don’t think the players themselves with institute the culture change. I think it’ll be more of no one is being handed things and with more options players can be held more accountable. For example, Dahlen was not good to end the season. Maybe that was covid, injury, rookie wall, whatever but really bad (in my opinion). Instead of him still getting spoon fed top 6 minutes because we only had Gregor to replace him, we now have so many guys that could hypothetically step into that spot with varying results. I think that’s the big change in culture. I mean I feel like there was VERY few changes to the lines throughout the season that weren’t forced. Now that’s mostly a Boughner thing but he really didn’t have many options. Either way there’s no way that some major culture shift is going to immediately make us good because you’re right we are still missing the top end talent. I do think that a culture change will help nurture that talent though.

As for your second point about Dahlen, we will have to agree to disagree here. From what I saw, he was benefitting from being on a line with Timo and Couture then once that was split up (because of covid) he cratered. I don’t think he really did much apart from taking advantage of his opportunity. I also have said here multiple times how I think Dahlen was redundant with Eklund, Barabanov, and Labanc on the team. You can’t really put any of those guys on the same line because it would be too soft. I was arguing it mostly about Barabanov walking but it does make sense why they kept him over Dahlen.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'm willing to give Grier a pass so far as he appears to be on the right track, fixing the core issues. Plus, unlike DW who believed too much in the soft stuff like loyalty, kumbaya, hakuna matata, other similar bs, Grier is moving forward unrentlessly.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Yeah I mean I don’t think the players themselves with institute the culture change. I think it’ll be more of no one is being handed things and with more options players can be held more accountable. For example, Dahlen was not good to end the season. Maybe that was covid, injury, rookie wall, whatever but really bad (in my opinion). Instead of him still getting spoon fed top 6 minutes because we only had Gregor to replace him, we now have so many guys that could hypothetically step into that spot with varying results. I think that’s the big change in culture. I mean I feel like there was VERY few changes to the lines throughout the season that weren’t forced. Now that’s mostly a Boughner thing but he really didn’t have many options. Either way there’s no way that some major culture shift is going to immediately make us good because you’re right we are still missing the top end talent. I do think that a culture change will help nurture that talent though.

As for your second point about Dahlen, we will have to agree to disagree here. From what I saw, he was benefitting from being on a line with Timo and Couture then once that was split up (because of covid) he cratered. I don’t think he really did much apart from taking advantage of his opportunity. I also have said here multiple times how I think Dahlen was redundant with Eklund, Barabanov, and Labanc on the team. You can’t really put any of those guys on the same line because it would be too soft. I was arguing it mostly about Barabanov walking but it does make sense why they kept him over Dahlen.

I think a player like Dahlen who can leech offense out of superior linemates tha are driving the play for him is actually really valuable to a patchwork roster like the Sharks

We only have 3 legit top-6 forwards on the team, only 2 of them are legit play drivers, so we need guys like Dahlen who can score goals off while riding their coattails, we can't ice a lineup without guys to plug those spots at the top of the roster

Not just anyone can do that, Weatherby wasn't gonna match Dahlen's goal totals last year no matter how you deployed him, so I see letting Dahlen walk as a waste, his skillet was valuable on a team as thin at the top as the Sharks

Because they will be. They are not going to "help turn the team around" in the standings. This will be a bottom ten team again but at least they will be able to ice a respectable lineup and, most importantly, keep prospects like Eklund and Bordeleau who are not ready for the NHL out of it.

I like insulating the prospects, but I don't think depth players are changing the culture, that's on the FO and the top players

As long as Couture and Karlsson are the veteran leaders in the room everyone is going to follow their lead, what Luke Kunin brings to the room is immaterial

Reactions: Sandisfan

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
All this talk of culture change, I think it's going to come down to whether or not the coach has the guys all on the same page with an effective and efficient system in place for the talent available. If all the players aren't on the same page with the same system the Sharks could be laden with all stars and still not be fun to watch, much less win games on a regular basis.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I do not understand this boards obsession with Dahlen. Every thread people have to complain about Dahlen. He was not signed by any NHL team for a reason. Maybe he only wanted a 1 way deal over 1 Mil to not go back home and play but that is a huge red flag. He would rather play at home than compete for a NHL job.

All 31 other NHL GM's have proven that Dahlen is not worthy of a NHL contract so I don't lets stop complaining about MG not qualifying him.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
All 31 other NHL GM's have proven that Dahlen is not worthy of a NHL contract so I don't lets stop complaining about MG not qualifying him.

Chuck Fletcher is still employed as an NHL General Manager

I can't accept any appeal to authority based on their ranks, at any given moment at least one third all of NHL GMs are terrible at their job

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I can't accept any appeal to authority based on their ranks, at any given moment at least one third all of NHL GMs are terrible at their job
Even if that’s true the 2/3rds of GMs who aren’t terrible at their job also decided not to offer Dahlen a contract. He sucks, get over it.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Lol

I don't think it's going to be a major culture upheaval but it is gonna get things back to an NHL baseline imo. With all the rookies flowing through, it felt like there was no stability.

I disagree about Dahlen being one of the standout talents. I actually think a big issue for Dahlen is that he just didn't show any plus attributes at the NHL level. His playmaking didn't stand out, his IQ didn't stand out, his play driving didn't stand out. He did well at the start of the season with his willingness to make plays in the center of the ice though but that's also the time when teams are more loose in how they play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad