Value of: Evgeny Kuznetsov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
I could get behind.

I'd want the Blues to get him if the value is fair, they did a good job refurbishing Sanford and Vrana. If Tarasenko somehow came back they'd reunite 2/3 of the top line from the Russian WJC that came back to beat Canada down 3-0

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I'd want the Blues to get him if the value is fair, they did a good job refurbishing Sanford and Vrana. If Tarasenko somehow came back they'd reunite 2/3 of the top line from the Russian WJC that came back to beat Canada down 3-0
Like I said 2 2nds and scandella is really fair.

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
Possibly to Anaheim for Ryan Strome? Reunite the Strome bros in DC. If Anaheim doesn't get Bedard, Fantilli or Carlsson they could be interested in becoming more dynamic that way.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Good chance he's traded in the off-season.

I think he goes to the Avs and lights it up there playing behind MacKinnon.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I doubt Washington wants to trade Kuznetsov in the division but Carolina should be all kinds of interested. I would trade a 1st + a prospect or two.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
That's a big cap hit for his value.

Wouldn't take him for free on Vancouver.
Free? God no, at least not until Pearson and Poolman are on the LTIR once again. We can't take that cap hit on, for free. We need a 3C, assuming we strike out with College FAs and UFAs, and Kuznetsov is wholly overqualified for that role. As such, we can't afford the cost for who is going to be valued as a top six C for a 3C role.

2013 9 points in 17 games, 2014 37 points in 80 games, 2015 77 points in 82 games, 2016 59 points in 82 games, 2017 83 points in 79 games, 2018 72 points in 76 games, 2019 52 points in 63 games, 2020 29 points in 41 games, 2021 78 points in 79 games, 2022 53 points in 73 games so far. If we're looking at the maximum expected point totals with a new team, he has 4 seasons of 9 that he flirted with a PPG. 3 of his last 4 seasons have been at a 60 ish point pace though, and while I'm not ready to say Kuznetsov is taking an easy ride down the back side of his career, it's not like we can realistically be asked to pay for a point per game player either, and at his cap hit his value isn't strong.

Getting Kuznetsov would necessitate changes to our top six, and in all fairness we could use a play maker. Kuz N playing C with Pettersson and Kuz M on the wing, or Kuz N playing wing with Miller would be how I see that happening, or otherwise stacking center with Pettersson-Miller-Kuznetsov all playing 18 minutes a night. We can use him as another weapon on our PK too, as he gets a few chances a game there when I've seen him play.

Here's the hard part to swallow though: We need to move a big contract to accommodate him and his salary. The Capitals have a few holes on their left side for D. I propose OEL be included as a part of the package, if for no other reason then to offset salary and cap. Rathbone, Hoglander, a conditional 1st, Klimovich...we have pieces to fill out the value, but OEL is really the only player that would make sense for us to move with that kind of cap hit. Miller? Why, they're the same age, Miller plays a more valuable (ie physical) game for us and produces more. Petterrsson? Yeah, right. Boeser? Maybe, but the idea was to move him out for space and cap space, not another 2+ high cap contract. Garland? We'd need to add more to it, and then we have the same problem as Boeser where we're just moving the logjam up higher on our depth chart. Myers? He expire next offseason. Beau or Mikheyev? Neither are screaming for an upgrade and it would take close to both to make room for Kuznetsov and a replacement for the second player.

Now why am I hijacking a thread for a player we don't have room for? Easy, I'm trying to figure out why so many other sites have a number of Kuznetsov to Vancouver proposals on them when there is one possible scenario that makes any sense on our end, which makes no sense on the Capitals end. Did Friedman or someone say something completely, bafflingly stupid last night?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Free? God no, at least not until Pearson and Poolman are on the LTIR once again. We can't take that cap hit on, for free. We need a 3C, assuming we strike out with College FAs and UFAs, and Kuznetsov is wholly overqualified for that role. As such, we can't afford the cost for who is going to be valued as a top six C for a 3C role.

2013 9 points in 17 games, 2014 37 points in 80 games, 2015 77 points in 82 games, 2016 59 points in 82 games, 2017 83 points in 79 games, 2018 72 points in 76 games, 2019 52 points in 63 games, 2020 29 points in 41 games, 2021 78 points in 79 games, 2022 53 points in 73 games so far. If we're looking at the maximum expected point totals with a new team, he has 4 seasons of 9 that he flirted with a PPG. 3 of his last 4 seasons have been at a 60 ish point pace though, and while I'm not ready to say Kuznetsov is taking an easy ride down the back side of his career, it's not like we can realistically be asked to pay for a point per game player either, and at his cap hit his value isn't strong.

Getting Kuznetsov would necessitate changes to our top six, and in all fairness we could use a play maker. Kuz N playing C with Pettersson and Kuz M on the wing, or Kuz N playing wing with Miller would be how I see that happening, or otherwise stacking center with Pettersson-Miller-Kuznetsov all playing 18 minutes a night. We can use him as another weapon on our PK too, as he gets a few chances a game there when I've seen him play.

Here's the hard part to swallow though: We need to move a big contract to accommodate him and his salary. The Capitals have a few holes on their left side for D. I propose OEL be included as a part of the package, if for no other reason then to offset salary and cap. Rathbone, Hoglander, a conditional 1st, Klimovich...we have pieces to fill out the value, but OEL is really the only player that would make sense for us to move with that kind of cap hit. Miller? Why, they're the same age, Miller plays a more valuable (ie physical) game for us and produces more. Petterrsson? Yeah, right. Boeser? Maybe, but the idea was to move him out for space and cap space, not another 2+ high cap contract. Garland? We'd need to add more to it, and then we have the same problem as Boeser where we're just moving the logjam up higher on our depth chart. Myers? He expire next offseason. Beau or Mikheyev? Neither are screaming for an upgrade and it would take close to both to make room for Kuznetsov and a replacement for the second player.

Now why am I hijacking a thread for a player we don't have room for? Easy, I'm trying to figure out why so many other sites have a number of Kuznetsov to Vancouver proposals on them when there is one possible scenario that makes any sense on our end, which makes no sense on the Capitals end. Did Friedman or someone say something completely, bafflingly stupid last night?
Zero chance the Caps take OEL back. I could Miller as a change of scenery possibility with Washington adding but the Caps are not going to take one of the worse contracts back in the league while also giving Vancouver a top six forward.

Caveat to my response is I’m not famously with what Vancouver needs and I haven’t looked at CapFriendly either.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
At one point in time there was a poll on the main board with people rating him more valauble than Eichel which seemed so outlandish....alas now Tage Thompson is better than both. What a world we live in...

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Zero chance the Caps take OEL back. I could Miller as a change of scenery possibility with Washington adding but the Caps are not going to take one of the worse contracts back in the league while also giving Vancouver a top six forward.

Caveat to my response is I’m not famously with what Vancouver needs and I haven’t looked at CapFriendly either.
I appreciate that OEL is a non-starter, but Miller is worth more to us then Kuznetsov is. We will pay for the top six forward part, even if we don't need one, but there is no one else that works on our end, as it's gambling that the added cap hit brings his near PPG production his cap hit would suggest, and his worst is about what we'd be giving now. I belaboured the point that Kuznetsov is fully usable, despite his cap hit versus recent output, but that in order to make things work, a long term contract that isn't cutting it would have to be part of the deal, and our recent cap whipping boys have been holding up their ends. Garland and Miller are the only longer contracts we have, and both are still fully usable to us, and don't need the upgrade/downgrade respectively.

We have cap space, but we have holes too. Most noticeably 3C (even with Sasson) and defensive D. Kuznetsov is supremely over qualified for one, and is not going to help with the other.

My post was also digging as to what spawned all the Kuznetsov to Vancouver threads on other sites, notably Capfriendly's armchair GM thread though. It's just not a fit.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
A motivated and engaged Kuzy can be a top 10 centre in the league. He was the real Conn Smythe winner in my eyes in 2018. We haven't seen that level of play for a few years and he is no saint, but I have no doubt he has it in him.

It is not like he has 6+ years left on his contract that adds enormous risk. He is 30 years old.

I think he could go crazy good on a team like the Canes or Avs, or could be the boost that a 9-16 seed needs to become a contender.

Some GM out there will recognise this.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Just wanted to let everyone know that with every Kuznetsov trade the Capitals are throwing in a free Anthony Mantha while supplies last. Gain a power forward for both your NHL and AHL roster!

Reactions: Daeavorn

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Kuznetsov is out pacing Backstrom in assists to Ovie even if you subtract Backstroms injury time in relation to years..

Home boy is out pacing Backstrom Prime

Dudes drowning on HCPL's sinking ship, whomever gets him will be happy.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I’d definitely be interested from a Carolina perspective.

Jarvis - Aho - Necas
Svech - Kuzy - TT
——-
Koko/Staal

That’s pretty damn solid for centers. We have a bunch of players needing raises though so probably have to move somebody out. I’m kind of leaning towards Pesce on defence.
It would be unlikely the Canes show much interest. Not great in the circle, doesn’t really care for defense. Unless they get him at a discount that is

Reactions: CapsFrontOffice

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
It would be unlikely the Canes show much interest. Not great in the circle, doesn’t really care for defense. Unless they get him at a discount that is
Just no.........do you really need to learn your lesson a 2nd time. He will work perfectly on any other team in the NHL but whoa to you people....you have the Alexander Semin curse.

Don't do it man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad