Contract Termination: [CAR] F Evgeny Kuznetsov and the Hurricanes mutually terminate contract

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
SKA is one of the few teams that can afford to pay NHL salaries. I doubt he'll be making anywhere near as much this season, but over four years he'll probably do just fine. He only had one year remaining on his NHL deal and he'll likely be making more in Russia than a NHL team would offer going forward.
Not sure about this. The ruble has slowly been losing value, and Russia’s economy is under heavy strain.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
I guess they can use the space for Necas and give him the C role? How much do they have with Kuz's contract now off the books?

About 15.6 looks like... didn't realize they also have to sign Jarvis

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Svechnikov – Aho – Jarvis
Roslovic – Drury – Necas
Martinook – Staal – Fast
Carrier – Kotkaniemi – Robinson
Lemieux

Slavin – Burns
Orlov – Walker
Gostisbehere – Chatfield

Kochetkov
Andersen

Using $2.25 mil for Drury (Kurashev arb award), $5.8 mil for Necas (Bratt 22-23 + inflation) and $7.75 mil for Jarvis (Svechnikov internal cap), that leaves about ~$1.5 mil under the cap. Try to go as skinny as possible early for accrual. Some combination of accrual/retention/Roslovic should allow for a meaningful Top 6 upgrade mid-season/deadline.

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
Roslovic – Drury – Necas
Martinook – Staal – Fast
Lemieux

Slavin – Burns
Orlov – Walker
Gostisbehere – Chatfield

Kochetkov
Andersen

Using $2.25 mil for Drury (Kurashev arb award), $5.8 mil for Necas (Bratt 22-23 + inflation) and $7.75 mil for Jarvis (Svechnikov internal cap), that leaves about ~$1.5 mil under the cap. Try to go as skinny as possible early for accrual. Some combination of accrual/retention/Roslovic should allow for a meaningful Top 6 upgrade mid-season/deadline.
We've got to get Drury out of the 2C slot. I hope the BORG is working on that.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
I'll be a little disappointed.

I wanted to see what a motivated and in shape Kuzy could do over a full season.

Guy flashed some nice skills for the Canes in the playoffs and scored some clutch goals.
There is no "motivated and in-shape" Kuzy, it's not part of his personality.

That easy going-ness absolutely contributed to his 2018 playoff run and successful seasons, but it also contributed to his downfall. Russell Westbrook-lite.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

It depends. Another Kuzentsov-type one-way player doesn’t solve anything beyond vibes.

Necas got much better defensive results with Drury than without him. In the regular season, he was .92 GA/60 and 1.23 xGA/60 better with than without. In the playoffs, it was 3.86 (!) and .53 respectively.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That seems an odd move, he'd be giving up quite a bit of money to go to the KHL wouldn't he? He must really not be in NHL-game shape anymore because Canes pretty much have a wide-open 2nd line for him to play on
He's owed 6m still, but after this year I don't see him getting more than 2-3m for maybe 1 more year and even that might be a stretch since he's seen as higher risk now. If he can get 4 years and a total of $8m, it may be worth it for him

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm a bit surprised this doesn't happen more often for teams looking to get out of a bad contract. The KHL is willing to pay decent money, and some players who don't have much term left could make more over there rather than stick it out being an anchor in NA.

But how many big name players have left like this? Was that what happened to Huet with Chicago a lifetime ago? Shipachyov did this to get away from Vegas. Who else, other than depth guys who just didn't get a shot?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Drury could work as a 2C with Necas out there.
Roslovic – Drury – Necas
Martinook – Staal – Fast
Lemieux

Slavin – Burns
Orlov – Walker
Gostisbehere – Chatfield

Kochetkov
Andersen

Canes offensive depth is definitely hurting though. I think the Teravainen loss is going to be the most glaring.

Would be huge for them if a guy like Blake, FUS, or Nadeau came into camp like a man possessed and earned a spot in the top 9.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That seems an odd move, he'd be giving up quite a bit of money to go to the KHL wouldn't he? He must really not be in NHL-game shape anymore because Canes pretty much have a wide-open 2nd line for him to play on
Whats he owed in real dollars? I bet he gets a huge deal in the KHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Whats he owed in real dollars? I bet he gets a huge deal in the KHL.
It was $2 mill in SB and $6 mill base salary. Likely CAR and WAS going to aim to get their $1 mill SB each back from him as that is for services to be rendered in 24/25 season, which he will not provide.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Curious how much the KHL is offering.
Since KHL insists its hard cap is functioning under the current structure even the best-paid players are making around 1,5 million dollars (120-140 million rubles). Kuznetsov may become the league's most expensive player, but his salary should still be in that ballpark. But, over 4 years, tax-free, etc., he is still doing just fine obviously.

Ad

Ad

Ad