Player Discussion Evander Kane

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Hopefully we can LTIR him
I don't see it being relevant at this point. Sports hernia surgery recovery is likely 3ish months, not the kind of injury that keeps him out until next playoffs. LTIR is no use in that case.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm not sure if Nuge Mcdavid pairing is good enough in crucial games.

Agreed They're good in the regular season, but when things tighten up in the playoffs, both are far better playing with 2 bigger bodies.

Imo that's Holloway and Hyman for McDavid, and Draisaitl and Kane for Nuge.

Maybe target a 5th guy at the TDL (Hello Taylor), Lavoie could maybe be a wildcard too.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
What're the chances of putting him on the IR for the entire year and then welcome him back for the playoffs?

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Kane did one of these against the Canucks in retaliation for the Soucy cross-check to the throat of McDavid they'd burn that wicked commune to the ground.

Soucy needs to get his. Then again maybe little Hughes takes the brunt because he's the runt.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Seeing this get bumped, has there been any news on Kane getting surgery for his sports hernia?

I will continue to wear the tin foil hat and think they're deliberately delaying this until training camp.
So instead of him getting it dealt with in July and coming back after New Year's, Kane'll go under the knife in October with the expected timetable of him being ready to play by mid-April. Funny how that timing conveniently lines up with Game 1 of the playoffs. Literally ripping a page out of the Lightning's playbook from 2021.

Going into camp we'll hear something along the lines of "In the best shape of my life. After a summer of rest it's in a manageable spot." But then something will get tweaked during fitness testing and they'll "finally" decide surgery is the best course of action.

With Kane on LTIR until the start of the playoffs. that'd allow them to keep both Kulak and Ceci, plus leave about 2 to 3 mil for the TDL (depending on what Holloway and Broberg sign for).

Reactions: badi

Reasonable Oil Fan

NO KOOL AID PLEASE!!
Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
This is the third time Kane has suffered variations of this "injury" in his career. However this time it appears to be the most serious. Its manifested as a case of EvenCoreyPerryHatesMe-itis.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seeing this get bumped, has there been any news on Kane getting surgery for his sports hernia?

I will continue to wear the tin foil hat and think they're deliberately delaying this until training camp.
So instead of him getting it dealt with in July and coming back after New Year's, Kane'll go under the knife in October with the expected timetable of him being ready to play by mid-April. Funny how that timing conveniently lines up with Game 1 of the playoffs. Literally ripping a page out of the Lightning's playbook from 2021.

Going into camp we'll hear something along the lines of "In the best shape of my life. After a summer of rest it's in a manageable spot." But then something will get tweaked during fitness testing and they'll "finally" decide surgery is the best course of action.

With Kane on LTIR until the start of the playoffs. that'd allow them to keep both Kulak and Ceci, plus leave about 2 to 3 mil for the TDL (depending on what Holloway and Broberg sign for).
I kinda doubt he's had any surgery, looks like he's been on holidays all over the place this summer.

Kinda expected all along he probably wouldn't get surgery until closer to the seasons starts. Gives him the benefit of taking his family on summer vacations and gives the team the benefit of using LTIR until they can figure shit out.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If Kane did one of these against the Canucks in retaliation for the Soucy cross-check to the throat of McDavid they'd burn that wicked commune to the ground.

Soucy needs to get his. Then again maybe little Hughes takes the brunt because he's the runt.

The game has changed so much. Messier would have been suspended 24 times in today's NHL.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I forgot how dirty Mess was, but then, the league was full of plays like that, and much different than now. Absolutely no respect for potentially ending a guys career. Saying that, would love to see a Soucy and a couple others get theirs, but if it was anything like those Messier hits, we're talking at least 20 games, unless George Parros is having tea that afternoon, and then maybe it's only a fine.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I forgot how dirty Mess was, but then, the league was full of plays like that, and much different than now. Absolutely no respect for potentially ending a guys career. Saying that, would love to see a Soucy and a couple others get theirs, but if it was anything like those Messier hits, we're talking at least 20 games, unless George Parros is having tea that afternoon, and then maybe it's only a fine.
Zadorov should get his as well. Just because you change jersey's doesn't mean shit in my eyes.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Messier didn't care what the name on the Jersey was, he'd go after anyone, and it worked. Demonstrated by 6 cups.

I guess it's not correct to call Messier the greatest leader in sports anymore. But they did call him that for a long time and he was.
Zadorov should get his as well. Just because you change jersey's doesn't mean shit in my eyes.
If you can't protect your stars you won't win. They have to figure it out. For a long stretch of playoff games Nurse wouldn't lay a hit until the media called him out and Kane wasn't even healthy enough to draw into the lineup in the end.

Who was our most physical player after Kane, who was suffering from a sports hernia. Henrique, who played through an ankle sprain, Ekholm or Nurse. Either way it wasn't enough.

Draisaitl, high ankle sprain from a slew foot, tomahawk chop to the forearm ends a prolific goal scoring streak, broken rib and a broken hand against the Canucks and it really caught up to him during the finals.

McDavid, cross check to the small of the back with a simultaneous cross check to the throat. Big hits from the first two rounds aggravated his injury issues from the regular season. With our superstars being more healthy in the finals what would have happened?

The league did either nothing or the bare minimum in every single case.

This last playoff both the Kings and the Canucks took wild runs at all of our top players. Hyman wasn't right the entire playoffs after awkwardly torquing his neck in the first round from a monstrous run unleashed on him.

Three years in a row losing to the eventual Stanley Cup champions. All the teams in the league saw what happened to our superstars with no retribution. Best to take care of that image asap. Best to be proactive rather than reactive.

Yes, Zadorov needs to get his as well.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
We need a herd of Moose to erase the Canucks, Kings and Golden Knights.

We have a Nurse who needs to be prodded to do his job. Darnell is too busy taking online Business courses from Harvard to worry about contributing to a hockey team that's currently paying out his 74M contract.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Messier didn't care what the name on the Jersey was, he'd go after anyone, and it worked. Demonstrated by 6 cups.

I guess it's not correct to call Messier the greatest leader in sports anymore. But they did call him that for a long time and he was.

If you can't protect your stars you won't win. They have to figure it out. For a long stretch of playoff games Nurse wouldn't lay a hit until the media called him out and Kane wasn't even healthy enough to draw into the lineup in the end.

Who was our most physical player after Kane, who was suffering from a sports hernia. Henrique, who played through an ankle sprain, Ekholm or Nurse. Either way it wasn't enough.

Draisaitl, high ankle sprain from a slew foot, tomahawk chop to the forearm ends a prolific goal scoring streak, broken rib and a broken hand against the Canucks and it really caught up to him during the finals.

McDavid, cross check to the small of the back with a simultaneous cross check to the throat. Big hits from the first two rounds aggravated his injury issues from the regular season. With our superstars being more healthy in the finals what would have happened?

The league did either nothing or the bare minimum in every single case.

This last playoff both the Kings and the Canucks took wild runs at all of our top players. Hyman wasn't right the entire playoffs after awkwardly torquing his neck in the first round from a monstrous run unleashed on him.

Three years in a row losing to the eventual Stanley Cup champions. All the teams in the league saw what happened to our superstars with no retribution. Best to take care of that image asap. Best to be proactive rather than reactive.

Yes, Zadorov needs to get his as well.
100%. My only issue is who serves out the retribution? Kane is one man and no one knows his health status. Nurse hasn't played mean enough for a long time now and guys like Ekholm and Hyman are too important to have them gooning it up. Holloway was probably our most physical forward after Kane in the playoffs. Not liking him filling that role either. Josh Brown adds a legit shit kicker and physical threat from the blueline but is he an everyday guy for us? We could really use a guy like Kostin on our 4th line IMO.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
100%. My only issue is who serves out the retribution? Kane is one man and no one knows his health status. Nurse hasn't played mean enough for a long time now and guys like Ekholm and Hyman are too important to have them gooning it up. Holloway was probably our most physical forward after Kane in the playoffs. Not liking him filling that role either. Josh Brown adds a legit shit kicker and physical threat from the blueline but is he an everyday guy for us? We could really use a guy like Kostin on our 4th line IMO.
Until I see a player taking a long time to get up from a Holloway hit I think the bulk of those hits really aren't that effective or damaging. Don't get me wrong, I'm a solid supporter of Holloway. I would love to see him developed as a center because that great mobility could make him one of the fantastic checkers in this league, but he's the most overrated player on the team as we speak.

When Kane hits a defenseman their entire game is off.

I wasn't as down on the Josh Brown signing as most (I wonder if he can switch to the wing if called upon) because he is a legitimate face puncher, debatable over how good he is at that job, but I have seen the player cross the line and do some nasties. I'll wait and see what the player can do before I anoint him as the worst player in the NHL because of advanced stats accumulated while playing on a team that wasn't advanced at much of anything. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Until I see a player taking a long time to get up from a Holloway hit I think the bulk of those hits really aren't that effective or damaging. Don't get me wrong, I'm a solid supporter of Holloway. I would love to see him developed as a center because that great mobility could make him one of the fantastic checkers in this league, but he's the most overrated player on the team as we speak.

I wasn't as down on the Josh Brown signing as most (I wonder if he can switch to the wing if called upon) because he is a legitimate face puncher, debatable over how good he is at that job, but I have seen the player cross the line and do some nasties. I'll wait and see what the player can do before I anoint him as the worst player in the NHL because of advanced stats accumulated while playing on a team that wasn't advanced at much of anything. Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Disagree on Holloway being overrated, he hits well and often but Kane hits are a different animal. Brown is a good/not great fighter. He's at least someone that will step up when the time calls for it and he has some good size to him.

Reactions: walktheboulavard

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Josh Brown gets his face punched much more than he does the punching of the faces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad