Contract Termination: Evander Kane

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The list isn't massive. It's pretty common rich young alpha male garbage and stuff that is none of fans' f***ing business (e.g. bankruptcy). The reason you claim it is massive when it isn't, is quite likely because he is black. He is a target in a league of white faces, and also speaks out.

Bankruptcy is whatever. It's the other things he has done.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I have to agree with Kane's side, to challenge the termination. It seems more like a move of convenience rather than an appropriate punishment. If this were a player without all the negative stuff around him, we'd see a suspension. Remember, it's only the covid border issue that is punishable here. I think he could win something from the Sharks. It seems similar to what happened with Richards in LA. You cant just sweep away a contract you dont like
This. Also, legally, the Sharks position doesn’t seem very strong. I guess… they’re hoping this ends up going to an arbitrator with a settlement that’s better than a buyout. Is that feasible?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
"Fans" of NHL teams on this board literally 2 weeks ago: "lol nobody wants Kane, you're gonna have to trade us over 9000 1sts to dump him on MY team!!1!"

Same "Fans" today: "MY team is gonna sign Kane at league minimum and win over 9000 Cups!!1! #[MyTeam]Dynasty plan the parades bitches!!"

7mil Vs one

Reactions: Sticktape

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
15-20 teams have expressed interest. Just shows the NHL teams couldn't care less what kind of human being they employ as long as he can help them on the ice. I guess it makes sense. If we think that there are 650 role models in the NHL, the we are sorely mistaken. I bet there are many guys who you wouldn't even want to come close to your daughter.

Moneyball baby. You can sign player worth 6million to one million.

Math over other things

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
The list isn't massive. It's pretty common rich young alpha male garbage and stuff that is none of fans' f***ing business (e.g. bankruptcy). The reason you claim it is massive when it isn't, is quite likely because he is black. He is a target in a league of white faces, and also speaks out.
Way to excuse his behavior by making it about race. Ignore he's been a problem with three different teams now, allegations of throwing games for money, multiple lawsuits and assault allegations, it's all because he's black. Name one white player that has a laundry list like that that hasn't received the same treatment as Kane

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
it just doesn't sit well with me that this league just allows contract termination of a black player.
people talk about systemic racism and doing more for POC, but when one gets dragged thru the mud and mistreated such as Evander Kane it becomes "YEAH BUT IT'S DIFFERENT. YEAH BUT. YEAH BUT"
it's all so tiresome.
Off-ice behavior is only a part of the picture, but it does matter. Forgive me if I don't feel for a rich entitled guy who keeps screwing up his career after receiving multiple "second chances".

I don't have a problem with Kane getting terminated - he 100% deserves that in my book, no matter what the lawyers eventually decide. The question is, would it be the same for a white guy - because if not, that's an issue. The league has been very selective when it comes to who it protects and who it doesn't. Kane is a star player, otherwise he would have been out of the league by now, but would a white guy get even more leash?

I wish we could find a healthy balance between fighting for a society free of racism, sexism, homophobia and other forms of discrimination while also holding everybody accountable for their actual actions, no matter their race, faith, gender etc.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
This won't just disappear for San Jose. Sorry, Sharks fans, but you're going to be hearing about this contract termination for a long time.

They'll be in grievances and appeals for months, and SJ will have a cap hit on their books when all is said and done. Just ask LA who still has a cap hit for Mike Richards until 2032.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This. Also, legally, the Sharks position doesn’t seem very strong. I guess… they’re hoping this ends up going to an arbitrator with a settlement that’s better than a buyout. Is that feasible?

It's the most likely result of the grievance process.

Reactions: egelband

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Feel free to quote the CBA along with the page, sec, paragraph.

(A) For any SPC entered into prior to the execution date of this Agreement (including any binding Memorandum of Understanding) that has a term in excess of six (6) League Years ("Long-Term Contracts"), the Averaged Amount of such LongTerm Contracts shall be calculated and included in a Club's Averaged Club Salary in accordance with Section 50.5(d)(ii) above so long as the Player is playing or is injured and is being paid pursuant to his SPC.

That is the part in the CBA that specifically states that it's for long term contracts prior to the agreement that would include cap recapture. There is no clause in the CBA that states that it is for contracts signed after the CBA was put into place. That was the whole point of the 8 year limit and the 50% rule among a few others.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
This won't just disappear for San Jose. Sorry, Sharks fans, but you're going to be hearing about this contract termination for a long time.

They'll be in grievances and appeals for months, and SJ will have a cap hit on their books when all is said and done. Just ask LA who still has a cap hit for Mike Richards until 2032.
I think you're misunderstanding. Anything is better than what we were stuck with at the time.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I think you're misunderstanding. Anything is better than what we were stuck with at the time.

I don't doubt it. I understand they were willing to retain %50 in a trade, so whatever penalty or fee they get hit with will undoubtedly be easier to handle.

Just saying that this course isn't a "get out of Kane free" card. There will be repercussions.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't doubt it. I understand they were willing to retain %50 in a trade, so whatever penalty or fee they get hit with will undoubtedly be easier to handle.

Just saying that this course isn't a "get out of Kane free" card. There will be repercussions.

Those repercussions will still be less damaging than even just a buyout that they were probably going to do if Kane kept up with basic obligations.

Reactions: Frosty415

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005

The only reason he is still in the NHL is because of of skin colour. If he was white he’d be done. Look at DeAngelo he was almost finished for less.

People will scream racism if this was the end of the line for Kane.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The only reason he is still in the NHL is because of of skin colour. If he was white he’d be done. Look at DeAngelo he was almost finished for less.
DeAngelo the guy who currently is playing in the NHL under contract and wasn't dragged anywhere near Kane? That DeAngelo?

It's funny how every response basically proves the point.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think the most likely scenario is a settlement that ends up being less/better than the buyout cap hit - in terms of both length and dollar amount.

For now, the entire cap hit is off the books. that is the same thing that happened with Richards. The cap hit was off the books until the settlement. The cap hit then followed the settlement money paid out.

I always thought Kane would do something stupid to get his contract terminated. I admit I did not think it would happen this soon.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

The main reason is the players don't want him anymore. Stuff like being late, not respecting team rules, etc.

Are the Sharks players all racist? It's not impossible but I have not seen any complaints from previous POC on the Sharks. For those following he was not liked in the room for awhile now but the org really hoped he would turn it around.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
If I was his agent. I put a call to Joe Sakic. Kane need to be a gentleman off the ice for the rest of the year and need to put number on scorecard.
Colorado need cheap player due to the cap. Best fit for both
With Colorado kane is sure to make the playoff and try to perform as the best he can.
For Colorado too cheap to ignore him.
line 1 Landeskog Mackinon Rantanen
line 2 Burakovsky Kadri Kane or Nichushkin
line 3 Compher Newhook Kane or Nichushkin
Line 4 Aube-kubel Jost Oconnor
Extra Helm

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The main reason is the players don't want him anymore. Stuff like being late, not respecting team rules, etc.

Are the Sharks players all racist? It's not impossible but I have not seen any complaints from previous POC on the Sharks. For those following he was not liked in the room for awhile now but the org really hoped he would turn it around.
There is little to no evidence of this, people are massively reading into what few things players have said about the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad