Value of: Evander Kane to NYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
>thread about adding a gritty skilled forward coming to Rangers

And I make a comment about players struggling who can potentially be moved the other way, you deem the conversation irrelevant before it even started
Respectfully disagree, but I appreciate you providing context and explaining yourself.
I did not go there to be snarky.
I noted that the OP specified EKane.

Your query on Goody was not with any context connected to that.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Evander Kane hasn't looked good this season. Looks disinterested and slow. Not sure what is going on there but buyer beware on Kane. Wouldn't touch him given his history.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are you being serious right now?
Are you attempting to make a point right now? What does Edmonton's development of wingers (or lack-thereof) in the recent past have to do with the proposal in question?

With Zach Hyman and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins already in Edmonton, the Oilers could afford to deal Kane for a couple lesser (and cheaper) contributors.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Are you attempting to make a point right now? What does Edmonton's development of wingers (or lack-thereof) in the recent past have to do with the proposal in question?

With Zach Hyman and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins already in Edmonton, the Oilers could afford to deal Kane for a couple lesser (and cheaper) contributors.
Yes, my point as clearly stated, Oilers can't even develop wingers. Players in general but in this case wingers which is why the can't trade Kane. Which is why they had to sign that jerk. Now they gave him years and he just going to eat away at the culture of the team and they can't do anything about it because they are desperate for talent because they can't draft.

Lets look at that list.

You list a #1 overall failed centre from 13 drafts ago. RNH. Congrats.

A #1 overall Hall from 14 drafts ago. I would hope he turned out. Is this the type of development you are talking about NHL talent straight out of the Junior? I mean, great they didn't draft Yakupov level trash on every 1st overall they got.

My Goodness this goes even further back in history.... Magnus Fn Paajarvi, 10th overall, 15 drafts ago, career high 34 points in his rookie year.

Eberle from 16 freaking drafts ago to find a decent one.

Puljujarvi? This is where the jokes really begin. 4th overall garbage. The fact you list him as a success says it all.

Pitlick? We are needing to reach back again 12 drafts back to get a career 105 points.

Khaira, if the Oilers weren't so shallow on the wings this goon would never have made the NHL. 80 career points. I can't believe this is what Oilers consider a success.

Caggiula, 91 career points. Is this the level we are calling success?

Glad to see you listed someone drafted within the last decade, Yamamoto. Trash. A 1st rounder with a career scoring rate less than .5/game.

I can draft better than the Oilers for the last couple decades with a The Hockey News from my toilet. This isn't hate. This is pity. Oiler fans deserve better. This is the team that watched Keith Gretzky absolutely screw the Bruins in the 2015 draft and hire him so Katz can collect the names from when the Oilers were good. I want the Oilers to be better. Who (outside Calgary and weirdly Toronto) doesn't love McDavid? I want him to have all the best. He just deserves better.

Reactions: wintersej

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He’s the exact player we need, the speed the swagger the attitude the rizz the looks. What would it take to bring the great Evander home to the bright lights of New York City?

Drury: “We’re real excited about the rizz, the swag, the drip to his game. No cap, no lie, I think his game will really pop off, and that’s just outta pocket. Cheerio chaps, I’ve a dalliance with a fair lady!”

..mighta lost it at the end, but you get the point. Dunno why either team would do this, but let’s send Trouba’s brick head back the other way. Because reasons.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
3 years at 32 for a cap we can't really afford without doing some cap gymnastics this season. They aren't retaining and taking Goodrow. So I really don't know how you make it work without overpaying, finding a 3rd team, or creating a nightmare going forward.

Reactions: bernmeister

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yes, my point as clearly stated, Oilers can't even develop wingers. Players in general but in this case wingers which is why the can't trade Kane. Which is why they had to sign that jerk. Now they gave him years and he just going to eat away at the culture of the team and they can't do anything about it because they are desperate for talent because they can't draft.

Lets look at that list.

A #1 overall Hall from 14 drafts ago. I would hope he turned out. Is this the type of development you are talking about NHL talent straight out of the Junior? I mean, great they didn't draft Yakupov level trash on every 1st overall they got.

My Goodness this goes even further back in history.... Magnus Fn Paajarvi, 10th overall, 15 drafts ago, career high 34 points in his rookie year.

Puljujarvi? This is where the jokes really begin. 4th overall garbage. The fact you list him as a success says it all.

Pitlick? We are needing to reach back again 12 drafts back to get a career 105 points.

Khaira, if the Oilers weren't so shallow on the wings this goon would never have made the NHL. 80 career points. I can't believe this is what Oilers consider a success.

Glad to see you listed someone drafted within the last decade, Yamamoto. Trash. A 1st rounder with a career scoring rate less than .5/game.

I can draft better than the Oilers for the last couple decades with a The Hockey News from my toilet. This isn't hate. This is pity. Oiler fans deserve better. This is the team that watched Keith Gretzky absolutely screw the Bruins in the 2015 draft and hire him so Katz can collect the names from when the Oilers were good. I want the Oilers to be better. Who (outside Calgary and weirdly Toronto) doesn't love McDavid? I want him to have all the best. He just deserves better.
Did you consider that the Oilers' focus at the draft for some time wasn't at forward? Specifically at wing? Even the Yakupov draft in 2012, the Oilers were criticized for taking another forward when defense was clearly the higher positional need.

Still not sure what any of it has to do with Evander Kane considering the only proposal I see has the Oilers receiving two wingers in return. Kind of a pointless argument.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Did you consider that the Oilers' focus at the draft for some time wasn't at forward? Specifically at wing? Even the Yakupov draft in 2012, the Oilers were criticized for taking another forward when defense was clearly the higher positional need.

Still not sure what any of it has to do with Evander Kane considering the only proposal I see has the Oilers receiving two wingers in return. Kind of a pointless argument.
I can't read for you. I clearly wrote twice what my point is. I don't think writing it a 3rd time is going to help you.

What is your point? You a lauding a Oilers draft record that you have to go back 16 years to try and find a successful winger. The only one you found was a decent Eberle. I'm not clear what that point is yet. What is this focus you are talking about? A few players picked in the top 10? I should hope they can find at least a few. Even then it's amazing how they miss.

What are you getting at here? Are you trying to give them credit to have the amazing foresight to draft McDavid?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I can't read for you. I clearly wrote twice what my point is. I don't think writing it a 3rd time is going to help you.

What is your point? You a lauding a Oilers draft record that you have to go back 16 years to try and find a successful winger. The only one you found was a decent Eberle. I'm not clear what that point is yet. What is this focus you are talking about? A few players picked in the top 10? I should hope they can find at least a few. Even then it's amazing how they miss.

What are you getting at here? Are you trying to give them credit to have the amazing foresight to draft McDavid?
The point you're trying to make in this thread doesn't matter. It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the discussion.

The suggestion was flipping Evander Kane for two lesser productive pieces at a similar cap hit. You're suggesting that they can't do this because they historically don't develop impactful wingers. Odd reasoning.

Kane is a luxury on this Oiler roster when he's producing. When he's not producing, he's a liability. The Oilers didn't have too much difficulty producing last season where he was pretty much a non-entity for much of the season after Maroon stepped on his wrist.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Kane has a history of needing fresh starts so the Oilers trading him at some point is probably inevitable. When is the question.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
The point you're trying to make in this thread doesn't matter. It has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of the discussion.

The suggestion was flipping Evander Kane for two lesser productive pieces at a similar cap hit. You're suggesting that they can't do this because they historically don't develop impactful wingers. Odd reasoning.

Kane is a luxury on this Oiler roster when he's producing. When he's not producing, he's a liability. The Oilers didn't have too much difficulty producing last season where he was pretty much a non-entity for much of the season after Maroon stepped on his wrist.
Thats what the Oilers need, less talent.

Kane has a history of needing fresh starts so the Oilers trading him at some point is probably inevitable. When is the question.
I think he's had enough fresh starts that his trade value is far below his production. That's if you can find someone who wants a little cancer in their locker room.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What the Oilers need to win is a deeper roster. Kane padding his stats on a McDavid line doesn't exactly address that when it results in an 11/7 setup and a fourth line that's essentially zero impact.

Not that I believe the Oilers would have any shot in hell at Lafreniere, the tradeoff wouldn't be as impactful as you're suggesting between him and Kane assuming both would get the push in the top six. Adding Goodrow to the bottom six would address what is essentially their most immediate roster need.

The Oilers would have to add a lot to get that type of return. But it's right up the alley of what they should be looking for. Kane's presence on their roster is becoming less and less of a need.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would love to have those prospects, but no. (NYR fan here)
Also, it says a lot about an organization that will trade their recent first round picks.. Don't think that's smart. (Talking about Vancouver)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Kane for prospects or lesser pieces doesn't work with Oilers win now window. Isnt this supposedly the year?

Having said that, Kane did nothing last season and hasn't had a good start to this year. If only NYR had a RD better than Ceci to trade

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

Lets look at that list.

This dude writing essays to shit on the Oilers for absolutely no reason lmao. What did we do to hurt your little soul?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

I think he's had enough fresh starts that his trade value is far below his production. That's if you can find someone who wants a little cancer in their locker room.
Oh cut the crap with the cancer in the locker room shit. You still upset he showed up to a meeting in a track suit what 14 years ago? Move on. Ask McDavid and Draisaitl if hes a cancer in the locker room. He can change. So can you. You just need to get out of 2008

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Oh cut the crap with the cancer in the locker room shit. You still upset he showed up to a meeting in a track suit what 14 years ago? Move on. Ask McDavid and Draisaitl if hes a cancer in the locker room. He can change. So can you. You just need to get out of 2008
Why so angry at the truth? It's so weird.

The team was trying to trade Kane earlier this summer, a source says, confirming a report from the Daily Faceoff. A big part of the reason for the team to pursue a deal was Kane's strained relationship with many of his teammates, according to several sources.

“Shut the [expletive] up, you selfish [expletive],” Buffalo defenceman Justin Falk screamed at Evander Kane before shoving the Sabres’ star winger during a Wednesday practice, as heard by the Olean Times Herald’s Bill Hopp

We can also add wife, girls he meets at the bar, his current coach and on and on and on.

As the saying goes, If you wake up in the morning and meet an A-hole, you met an A-hole. But if you go through your day and all you meet is A-holes you are probably the A-hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad