Value of: Evan Bouchard via trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think Bouch takes a 1 year, 4mil deal. It’s in both parties best interest. For the Oil it’s obvious - cap compliance this year at the expense of paying more on a long term deal this time next year. For Bouch, it’s a year to further boost his value. Let’s not forget that he was having a sub par year before the arrival of Ekholm. His elevated play was a 30+ game sample. That might be worth 6 mil per long-term today. Do that for an entire season next year and shore up his defensive play next year and he could command 8 per.

So assuming my theory holds up, we’d basically have to trade Yamo to clear the remaining cap to round out the roster. Something like this:

To CHI: Yamamoto. EDM 6th rder

To EDM: rights to Khaira (paper transaction, Khaira walks to UFA)

Re-sign McLeod (2 x 1.75)
Re-sign Kostin (1 x 1)
Re-sign Bjugstad (1 x 1 hopefully)
Sign Connor Brown (hoping for 1 yr 1.75-2 on a bounce back year from injury type deal)

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Holloway-Drai-Kane
Foegele-McLeod-Brown
Kostin-Bjugstad-Lavoie

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouch
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He might want to calm down as the expectation is only 1 mill

Yes but that’s been under the assumption that the players will just barely missing paying off the COVID money. If there is enough playoff revenue that could change. Although given that all the big markets with super expensive tickets are out, that seems less likely.

What does seems possible, however, is Walsh and Bettman coming to some agreement to spread out the cap increasing over this off-season and next instead of having a giant one next off-season as Bettman has said he is willing to negotiate that point. We should know soon enough!

I think Bouch takes a 1 year, 4mil deal. It’s in both parties best interest. For the Oil it’s obvious - cap compliance this year at the expense of paying more on a long term deal this time next year. For Bouch, it’s a year to further boost his value. Let’s not forget that he was having a sub par year before the arrival of Ekholm. His elevated play was a 30+ game sample. That might be worth 6 mil per long-term today. Do that for an entire season next year and shore up his defensive play next year and he could command 8 per.

So assuming my theory holds up, we’d basically have to trade Yamo to clear the remaining cap to round out the roster. Something like this:

Re-sign Kostin (1 x 1)
Sign Connor Brown (hoping for 1 yr 1.75-2 on a bounce back year from injury type deal)

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Holloway-Drai-Kane
Foegele-McLeod-Brown
Kostin-Bjugstad-Lavoie

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouch
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg

Skinner
Campbell

I can buy the idea of him betting on himself having a better year next year and betting that the cap will be a lot higher.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There's only one way to read and that's with eyes open. Reading your ridiculous over-rating of Bouchard hurts the eyes though.
It was to illustrate that Edmonton is not trading Bouchard for anything any other fanbase would consider to be “reasonable”. As a member of the absolute king fanbase of the bullshit offers I was speaking about, I’m not surprised it sailed over your head.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He's an RFA. RFA's have few options if they don't get offer sheeted, and that's another discussion altogether. 3M is on the low side for sure, but he's not getting the same AAV he would get on a long term deal, especially when his production has been rather short term. I would bet it will be a 2 or 3 year deal, somewhere between 3M and 4M AAV. As a comparable, Noah Dobson signed for 3 yrs X 4M AAV last summer. I don't think Bouchard has leverage to ask for more. I do worry that it could end up being a disupte between the team, as they have little extra cap space, and a player who deserves a big raise.

Trust me though, I wish we could lock him up to an 8 year deal, but the cap hit would be at least 6 or 7 if that was in play, and the Oilers don't have the space for that, even if they weren't needing to upgrade in other areas.

3M is still too low though. No way anyone can explain to him and his agent that he should get less than Yamamoto. He'll just make a fuss and not sign until the Oilers get rid of Yamamoto or whatever.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Last year ES points
35 points, 81 games
6 in 16 games

This year ES points
26 points, 82 games
2 in 12 games

Both years he had very similar usage but took a major step back at ES this year both in the regular season and playoffs.

I foresee a short bridge contract for Bouchard to get his numbers up with more icetime.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Edmonton should be locking him up long-term sooner rather than later. Giving him a bridge deal and the keys to that top PP is going to cost them.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
Ceci, Kulak, Yamamoto and Foegele will all go before Bouchard.
Duh, but they would all have negative value except Kulak who is underrated and on a cheap deal. Do you get rid of all of them and pay to get rid of them to sign Bouchard at 7 x 7.5 million? and sign Mcleod 2 x 2, Kostin 1 x 1 and Bjugstad 1 x 1 and 3 other players at minimum?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

Re-sign Kostin (1 x 1)

Nuge-McD-Hyman
Holloway-Drai-Kane
Foegele-McLeod-Brown
Kostin-Bjugstad-Lavoie

Nurse-Ceci
Ekholm-Bouch
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg

Skinner
Campbell
Something has to be done about that.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Duh, but they would all have negative value except Kulak who is underrated and on a cheap deal. Do you get rid of all of them and pay to get rid of them to sign Bouchard at 7 x 7.5 million? and sign Mcleod 2 x 2, Kostin 1 x 1 and Bjugstad 1 x 1 and 3 other players at minimum?
Every single insider has already said Bouchard will be a bridge so it won't be that much.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Oilers are in major cap trouble. They cant move Nurse and have about 6 million to sign Bouchard, McLeod, and about 4 others. Bouchard cant sign a long term deal here and would he sign a cheap 2 year deal? Not so sure. Might be good to bite the bullet and attach him with a slightly bad contract and get some value for him. Fits perfect on this PP but he is a terrible defensive player and makes poor decisions in his own end with the puck. What could they get for him? He is an RFA. If he signed a deal with the Oilers how are they going to pay Leon in 2 years?
Oilers can't lose Bouchard. A rival may throw big contract at him though. Just to weaken Oilers. Knowing Oilers will match but have to sacrifice their depth

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
3M is still too low though. No way anyone can explain to him and his agent that he should get less than Yamamoto. He'll just make a fuss and not sign until the Oilers get rid of Yamamoto or whatever.
Maybe. But you can bet the negotiations begin around that number on Edmonton's side. Probably ends up like the Noah Dobson deal at 4M hit.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You have to be out of your mind if you think CBJ offers up the 3OA for Bouchard. You have lost touch...

He hasn't lost touch, you've just not read the thread in context. The whole point is that 3rd overall would be huge value for Bouchard, but due to context we'd have to even say no to that.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Edmonton should be locking him up long-term sooner rather than later. Giving him a bridge deal and the keys to that top PP is going to cost them.

They don't have a choice IMO.

If they want to improve on ice anywhere else, it means shedding AT LEAST two of Kulak, Ceci, Yamamoto and Foegele, replacing one with an improvement and another with an ELC AND even then, Bouchard still needs to take a bridge.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Yes, you get rid of as many as you can... and no you aren't going to need to attach assets to any of those very short term and not-so-out-of-market contracts. Kulak you keep, Ceci you upgrade, Yama and Foegele you let go to make room for ELCs who can do the same job.

The only thing you got wrong is 7 x 7.5M. Oilers are better off kicking the can down the road and doing 4 x $4.5M so that they can save the extra $3M and have it grow in purchasing power for the deadline.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Value is likely somewhere around a mid 1st and B level prospect or a 2nd

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Bouchard is unlikely to get traded, the change I hope to see is an upgrade on Ceci, Bouchard will get a bridge contract and not going to break the bank yet

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
Take a little time out of your day to learn a bit about how contracts, rfa, ufa, arb rights etc work. Then come back and make silly comments....
You think he’ll sign for $3 mil? I’m not the biggest Bouchard fan, but he’s a 40 point D man and was over a point a game in the playoffs. If he signs for $3 mil, he should fire his agent.

I’m aware of how UFA/RFA and arb rights work. Thanks for the suggestion though big dawg

Reactions: DickSmehlik

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
You think he’ll sign for $3 mil? I’m not the biggest Bouchard fan, but he’s a 40 point D man and was over a point a game in the playoffs. If he signs for $3 mil, he should fire his agent.

I’m aware of how UFA/RFA and arb rights work. Thanks for the suggestion though big dawg
you are welcome little fella.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To answer the OPs question: Hronek was just traded for a mid 1st and an early second. There's your comparable.
Hronek is older, smaller, worse, less productive, was behind Seider whereas Bouchard has nobody in front of him and Hronek has never seen the playoffs nevermind went PPG+ in them but yeah, nailed it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad