ESPN’s Top 25 NHLers of the 21st Century

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
I think the biggest flop of this list is having Datsyuk much lower than Chara.
Agreed. Chara is one of the most overrated defensemen of this era. Had a good prime, but was pretty mediocre in a lot of areas. Had he been of normal height, he wouldn't have been talked about nearly as much. He still got beat a lot of times on rushes, caught puck watching, etc. His puck moving skills were never great. Was he good? Yes. Was he phenomenal? No. He was fortunate to play in front of some amazing goaltenders for most of his career.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
This is stupid.
Having MacKinnon, Draisaitl, Kucherov and Matthews in this list is utterly pointless considering that they among themselves switch positions quite literally every few months depending on who has had the better season or who has done something great. It has been like this for 6 years now. They should have limited the list to players who are already out of their prime or who have retired.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Sid should be first.

Regarding the whole Karlsson/Hedman debate, I take Hedman. He shutdown the whole side of the ice and was dynamic at the point. When he loaded up for a wrister you just knew it would see twine.

Karlsson was dynamic his own whirling dervish right, but he couldn’t shutdown the way Hedman did. I always saw Hedman as a bigger Lidstrom. So calm, savvy, and controlled the ice.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Funny stuff. People argue here that Hedman >> Karlsson because 2-way play and 2 cups.

This also means Barkov >>> Matthews, with 2 Selke`s and Cup. Better stats than Kopitar too, who`s on the list.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
It is easier to quantify, but it is also true. A great offensive player can create opportunities for his teammates and make them more effective. Lidstrom paired with Ristolainen is still going to give up plenty of goals against, because defense is more of a team effort.
The easiest argument to refute. Niklas Lidstrom played with Anders Lilja and Ian White and made them both look like NHL defensemen.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
The rankings could be argued ad nauseum, but the names on the list aren't horrible and pretty close the all the names you'd expect.

Reactions: Habsfunk

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Agreed. Chara is one of the most overrated defensemen of this era. Had a good prime, but was pretty mediocre in a lot of areas. Had he been of normal height, he wouldn't have been talked about nearly as much. He still got beat a lot of times on rushes, caught puck watching, etc. His puck moving skills were never great. Was he good? Yes. Was he phenomenal? No. He was fortunate to play in front of some amazing goaltenders for most of his career.
If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

What a weird take on Zdeno Chara. Guy was among the best players in the world for a decade.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Funny stuff. People argue here that Hedman >> Karlsson because 2-way play and 2 cups.

This also means Barkov >>> Matthews, with 2 Selke`s and Cup. Better stats than Kopitar too, who`s on the list.
Correct

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Defense is more important from defensemen than it is for forwards.

His reach meant he could get beat initially and still make a play though. I think his impact was pretty huge statistically even if he wasn’t always the prettiest. Though he was probably best suited for more defensive eras

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Luongo is 7th all-time in GSAA with 270

Brodeur is 10th all-time with 207

Fleury sits 50th all-time with 67, while Quick is 94th all-time with 14

Reactions: msew27

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Lidstrom was a great player. But, he didn't tie the record, which stands at 8 Norris'. Mr. Bobby Orr, take a bow.
Sorry, not trying to be a dick, but Bobby was, and is, my fav player of all time.
egregious oversight on my part.

I think my point stands and I'll change my post to read "21st century record of 7 Norris Trophies"

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
egregious oversight on my part.

I think my point stands and I'll change my post to read "21st century record of 7 Norris Trophies"
You could also change the post to say something like "tied for most Norris trophies won by a mortal man". Bobby Orr (like Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux - and perhaps one day McDavid) are in a separate category.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You could also change the post to say something like "tied for most Norris trophies won by a mortal man". Bobby Orr (like Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux - and perhaps one day McDavid) are in a separate category.
Was Lidstrom a mere mortal man though.

Scotty said he was perfect.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Kucherov is laughably low on this list. The amount of disrespect this guy gets from the national media is criminal. How do you justify putting him 17th? He has two Art Ross Trophies in an era where he’s battling it out with MacKinnon and McDavid, among others, every season.
I get it based on points but it’s more than points when it’s a subjective rating.

When I see that he’s a winger and then remember how he plays (intangibles) it’s easier to see him overlooked.

17 might be a bit low but he’s nowhere close to top 10 folk.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Insane to have Bergeron at 10

- Among centers who have played in the in the 21st century, Bergeron places 9th in goals and 11th in points among centers ( 17 / 16 among all players )

- Had the best +/- among centers in the 21st century ( third overall )

- 7th best faceoff percentage among centers of the 21st century

- 12 straight years in a row nominated for the Selke

I can't see an argument where he wasn't a top 15 player in the 21st century right now because he's had his whole career in it to make an impact. Drai will most likely surpass him as he gets more years, Matthews has a chance as well.

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
Kucherov disrespect is pretty wild. Drai & Matthews over Kucherov is especially egregious. SMH

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
As expected, Hfboards has put together a far more credible list than ESPN so far (voting still in progress). The Hfboards top 8 is much more accurate than the ESPN one:

1. Crosby
2. Ovechkin
3. McDavid
4. Lidstrom
5. Malkin
6. Brodeur
7. Kucherov
8. Kane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad