Erling Haaland NHL Equivalent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I don't follow soccer as much as I used to, but these are my analogues.

McDavid = Messi (prime)
They both have insane acceleration, agility and speed, and seem even faster with the ball/puck. Incredible 1-on-1 skills and have the ability to dangle their way through the entire opposing team. Considered to be one of the best players of all time in their sport. Some of their most memorable goals look remarkably similar:

Crosby = CR7
Both absolute physical specimens, masters of their craft and ageless wonders. They were both considered the best, or at least top 2 players in the world for most of their careers. Maybe not as "naturally" gifted as Messi/McDavid, but they've practiced perfection.

Ovechkin (prime) = Haaland
Both are prolific goalscorers. They use their size and imposing strength to their advantage. They pile up the goals seemingly at will, from the same spot (ie. Ovechkin island on the PP), and nobody can do anything about it. Neither are known for their two-way play.

Mackinnon = Mbappe
Both are among the best in their respective sports in terms of raw explosive speed. They can brute force goals with that explosiveness, but they also have the skill and finesse to finish plays. Neither are on that McDavid/Messi tier though in terms of ball/puck handling at high speed.

Matthews = Lewandowski (prime)
Both are well rounded players who have the insane ability to score from anywhere in the opposing zone with their powerful accurate shot. One of Lewandowski's most memorable moments was scoring 5 goals in 9 minutes, whereas one of Matthews' most memorable moments was scoring 4 in his first NHL game.

Draisaitl = Harry Kane
Neither are known for their speed, but they are just smart, supremely talented, and have a tiny bit of edge to their game that allows them to put up insane numbers.

Kucherov = Zlatan (prime)
Both have that swagger, give funny interviews and love f***ing with fans. Both can get quite angry and aggressive and are prone to dirty plays. Yet they are supremely talented and just seem to keep winning championships.

Patrick Kane = Neymar
Both have that showtime flair to their game. Both used to be considered a top 3 player in the world.

Suarez = Marchand
Talented pests. Also, licking/biting opponents. Except Marchand actually seems like a decent person off the ice.

Karlsson = Bale
Bale started off as an offensive defenseman, being a huge offensive threat from the back end. Like Karlsson, injuries caught up.

Messi=Greztky/Crosby is more realistic, all 3 are ageless specimen and highly cerebral players.

Reactions: coooldude

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Erling Håland's kinda boring, I like his dad more, him yelling at Keane lying on the grass tops any Erling goal.
He got the "And don't ever stand over me sneering about fake injuries" in return. Well earned

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If Haaland is so great why isn't his country doing anything internationally?

Truth is if he wasn't playing on Man City he wouldn't score as much. Strikers like him need other players to do most of the job for him
goal per game for Man City, Dortmund, and Salzburg as a professional.

last World Cup qualifiers and Euro qualifiers...wait for it...goal per game (11 in 11)

Under 20 World Cup Norway 9 goals in 3 games.

He's currently all of 24 years old (July birthday).

He is absolutely dominant in the striker position. I see a lot about "all round game" well not having an all round game tends to go pretty hand in hand with strikers. He's a pure goal scorer so his comparables are Ovechkin, Hull and that ilk.

Last edited:

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
For those who aren’t watching, Norwegian striker Erling Haaland is currently toying with what most consider to be the best soccer league in the world.

In a sport/league that averages around 3 total goals per match, this guy has averaged a goal per game over two full seasons (he is three games into his third season now having missed just a handful for various reasons), with 70G in 69GP.

The previous reigning best striker in this league, Harry Kane, scored 8 hat tricks over the course of 320 matches. Haaland has equaled that in 69 matches. The leader in hat tricks in league history had 12 in 275 matches.

I feel like this level of goal scoring is better than even Gretzky and Lemieux when adjusting for sport/era. What kind of stats would a hockey player have to put up to match this level of dominance?
Haaland is an absolute force of nature. As a Liverpool fan, I despise the man. Fortunately he got absolutely pounded by the ugly hammer. Just an extremely unattractive man.

I know that sounds petty. and it is. It's all I got though, and am clinging to it.

If he can stay healthy and keep up the pace he's probably a McDavid -- big bodied guy with awesome speed and extremely quick feet/hands.

• Love
Reactions: Synergy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad