Value of: Erik Karlsson @ 50%

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Having been skeptical of the trade, Karlsson is really good and a contending team would give up big time assets for him. Pens are not moving him this year. But I can see a scenario of him heading out next year with a reduced salary contractually. did anyone see the costs for marginal talent this year. He is a great trade chip after this year with his decreasing salary.
He had his stats inflated by playing on a garbage team (where the offense ran through him and he could ignore all defensive efforts) and San Jose could still barely find a GM dumb enough to take him. Now after a worse year where he actually had to play some semblance of responsible hockey, why would his value have gone up even the slightest from a middling 1st and a collection of cap dumps?

No contender would be stupid enough to take him for free off waivers at his cap hit. With retention again he might get a meh pick/prospect and another collection of cap dumps

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
So Nurse and Karlsson should be an even trade.

I would take Karlsson at 50%. Ceci + 2025 or 2026 first. Flyers get one of them + ? Would have to be picks. We can't afford to send prospects back. JJ just went out and add prospect for the up coming cap crunch with Draisaitl, Bouchard and McDavid new contracts coming up.
I would do this as an Oiler Fan and they might just bite.

Karlsson Retained down to $9.25

For Nurse( no retention) and Savoi

This is fast use on the new toy, but this would balance our team better

• Wow
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
No one's touching him for anything over 50%. He doesn't fill a true defense need, guy needs to be sheltered, his real strength is producing points and being injured and if you want that and don't care what side they play, we got a far less injury prone Torey Krug we can trade you that would be vastly cheaper. He's not going to net you 100 points, but he's consistent and like EK, will need a strong partner to shelter.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensFactor

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fool me once?

Not sure what this means.

No one's touching him for anything over 50%. He doesn't fill a true defense need, guy needs to be sheltered, his real strength is producing points and being injured and if you want that and don't care what side they play, we got a far less injury prone Torey Krug we can trade you that would be vastly cheaper. He's not going to net you 100 points, but he's consistent and like EK, will need a strong partner to shelter.

Torey Krug hasn’t hit 50 points since he was a Bruin.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Seems really weird that people think EK65 at 50% wouldn't return at minimum a 1st. He returned a 1st in the trade to PIT.
Yeah, cuz it went so well the last two times teams traded 1sts for Karlsson. :laugh:

I think GMs will have learned their lesson here.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
EK65 was the 2nd best player on the Penguins after Crosby last season.

EK65 was great for the Sharks before their competitive window ended.

I would assume GMs aren't so dumb they couldn't see that.
Yeah, and how did the EK trades work out for the teams acquiring him?

You can talk about how great Karlsson was with the Pens last year til you’re blue in the face but at the end of the day you gave up a 1st for him and then missed the playoffs. You should be rebuilding and yet you’re stuck with the same Karlsson problem we were a year ago.

I know you’re going to respond with “the 1st was for getting rid of Granlund and Rutta!”, but if you aren’t a playoff team, why are you paying a premium to dump cap, especially when you’re dumping useful players?

Teams are not going to fall for this trap again.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Can't happen this year we already have 3 retained salaries in Petry, Smith and Jack Johnson buyout

Next year could be more interesting on this front if Karlsson wants out due to his full NMC.

Pittsburgh can only retain 37% of Karlsson as SJ has the other 13% so his Cap hit for anyone taking him on is 6.3m, however his actual salary would be 5.7m then 4.8 the next year. Making an owner more likely to approve a trade, however these trades usually go towards teams looking to stay around low to mid Cap range, and are not competing, meaning Karlsson won't want to go to a team with the same situation competitively as the Pens will be in.

I think if Karlsson wants out it will be on his demands and not the teams.

I don't see much movement this year, but next year can see guys like Rakell moved as his actual pay will be below his cap hit, and Graves actual pay starts to meet then drop below his cap hit, get moved. I don't see a movement clause on Rusts contract and he could be traded if that's the case as well,

IF Dubas decides to go all in on the rebuild. This will probably affect the Core in some regards. I can see Crosby staying, Malkin Retiring ala LTIR magic, and Letang wanting out if larger pieces start to get moved. It is possible Crosby moves on, however it would be on his choice alone, and I do see him being the guy that helps the team by getting something in return... unlike Sundin and the Leafs.

Basically this year is running it back like the last couple years, then the contracts get easier to move, hopefully there's performance improvements to make the moves more beneficial for the Pens, if not those mentioned pieces will still help restock the youth pipeline quite a bit.

Then we get McKenna and in 5 years or less we start adding to our cup haul and become lords of the hated again.

I can't wait.

Calbee Comercials | Know Your Meme

• Haha
Reactions: Giskard and Duffy13

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

You can talk about how great Karlsson was with the Pens last year til you’re blue in the face but at the end of the day you gave up a 1st for him and then missed the playoffs. You should be rebuilding and yet you’re stuck with the same Karlsson problem we were a year ago.

I know you’re going to respond with “the 1st was for getting rid of Granlund and Rutta!”, but if you aren’t a playoff team, why are you paying a premium to dump cap, especially when you’re dumping useful players?

Yes, Erik Karlsson is why the Penguins didn’t make the playoffs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Pens were trying to compete at the trade, but now they aren't.

Reactions: Giskard

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Don’t put words in my mouth. That’s not what I said. You are intentionally misinterpreting because you don’t want to address the fact that I’m right.

You can talk about how great Karlsson was with the Pens last year til you’re blue in the face but at the end of the day you gave up a 1st for him and then missed the playoffs.

I'm sorry for intentionally misinterpreting this.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'm sorry for intentionally misinterpreting this.
Correlation not causation.

Poorly run teams don't do well and often miss the playoffs.
Poorly run teams acquire players that don't really help their situation, like for example EK.
That doesn't necessarily mean that EK is the cause of teams not doing well and missing the playoffs. It's just that the two often go hand in hand.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Correlation not causation.

Poorly run teams don't do well and often miss the playoffs.
Poorly run teams acquire players that don't really help their situation, like for example EK.
That doesn't necessarily mean that EK is the cause of teams not doing well and missing the playoffs. It's just that the two often go hand in hand.

Erik Karlsson has had the disadvantage of playing on two aging cores making last grasps and a incredibly bad ran Ottawa team.

Such a weird player to want to discredit. Tied for 5th all time with the most Norris trophies and the closest thing we've seen to a "generational" defenseman since Lidstrom.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Some real strong opinions in this thread.

Would love to know how many pens games ppl watched last year to arrive at those conclusions… but I kinda already have an idea what the answer is.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I would do this as an Oiler Fan and they might just bite.

Karlsson Retained down to $9.25

For Nurse( no retention) and Savoi

This is fast use on the new toy, but this would balance our team better
You had me at trading off Nurse. After that... No.

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm
OTT-PIT:
Karlsson <-> Norris straight up.
Penguins gets younger with a center that gets a chance to bounce back with a new scenery getting to work with Crosby, Malkin.

Karlsson gets to go home, fill a positional and locker room need and could be the difference for making the playoffs or not.

No picks, No retention.
Everyone’s happy.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
And he just had a 10 goal 50+ pt season. You don't think someone is paying for that at 5 mil?
Durzi just got 6 mil a year and like EK only meets his goaltenders in the dressing room. There would be numerous GM’s that would pay 5 mil a year for his offense. It’s just finding that fit.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad