Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I suspect we MIGHT have offered him about $1M AAV for a year or two; he probably felt he could do better elsewhere. I am not hugely disappointed that he is gone; however, I am disappointed in what we have going forward at D. Jensen is not the answer.
Who was the answer.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He did always play well when someone in the top 4 went down tho. Thats really the only concern I have
Brannstrom didn't always play well in any situation. To his credit he did not make glaring mistakes but he was routinely out-muscled by bigger and stronger guys even when he was in good position. And those failures lead to many chances against and goals. That's something that can never be corrected.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brannstrom didn't always play well in any situation. To his credit he did not make glaring mistakes but he was routinely out-muscled by bigger and stronger guys even when he was in good position. And those failures lead to many chances against and goals. That's something that can never be corrected.

He isn’t the D you want first in the corner, he didn’t have the speed or escapability to skate up the middle it always had to be the center of the ice, and the way the NHL is going he’s way to small.

Reactions: DueDiligence

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I suspect we MIGHT have offered him about $1M AAV for a year or two; he probably felt he could do better elsewhere. I am not hugely disappointed that he is gone; however, I am disappointed in what we have going forward at D. Jensen is not the answer.
Jensen will be a good partner for either Chabot or Sandy depending where Zub plays. The bottom line is that TC will end up with someone far better than Chychrun was last year to help him get his game back on track. If Chabot rebounds the Sens will be a far better team for it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Although I agree with the overall sentiment of your point, it doesn't make sense to include Kleven as a reason our PK will improve. The dude played 9 games last season and it's not like he's a highly touted guy like Sandy, Greig, etc... that can be relied on to break out. We don't know how he'll perform yet relative to Brannstrom. We currently had a 3rd pairing with no consistently serviceable D. Brannstrom is better than JBD and Hamonic. We're banking on Jensen and rookies/sophomores to step up for our PK.
I've been pretty high on Kleven since we drafted him, so I've pretty confident in his ability to step in. I remember having similar conversations about whether Sanderson would be able to step in immediately as a top 4 Dman, I have about as little doubt that Kleven can step in as a bottom pair guy. Having said that, I would prefer if we had a more reliable partner for him than JBD, but it is what it is.

Jensen is a proven vet, he was on Washington's top PK unit so I don't see it as a big ask for him to replace what Brannstrom did and then some.

Our D pairings on the PK last year looked like this:
PK 1 Sanderson-Zub
PK 2 Brannstrom-JBD
extra: Chabot

This year, it will be this:
PK 1 Sanderson-Zub
PK 2 Kleven-Jensen
extra JBD

Which would you prefer? to me, the answer is a resounding this year.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I've been pretty high on Kleven since we drafted him, so I've pretty confident in his ability to step in. I remember having similar conversations about whether Sanderson would be able to step in immediately as a top 4 Dman, I have about as little doubt that Kleven can step in as a bottom pair guy. Having said that, I would prefer if we had a more reliable partner for him than JBD, but it is what it is.

Jensen is a proven vet, he was on Washington's top PK unit so I don't see it as a big ask for him to replace what Brannstrom did and then some.

Our D pairings on the PK last year looked like this:
PK 1 Sanderson-Zub
PK 2 Brannstrom-JBD
extra: Chabot

This year, it will be this:
PK 1 Sanderson-Zub
PK 2 Kleven-Jensen
extra JBD

Which would you prefer? to me, the answer is a resounding this year.
I remember that convo with you about Sandy, and am happy to eat crow and hope I have to eat some more if Kleven doesn't struggle this year.

I'll be honest with you, the PK2's are both too similar for me to choose one. Brannstrom and JBD might be a mediocre PK2, but I know what I'm getting. Jensen is a beast, but Kleven being an unknown makes it difficult for me to want to take a gamble and I just hope we have enough defensive forwards in place to help him transition to playing an effective role on the PK (which is where my slight frustration comes when we don't have a Joseph there, but might be playing someone slower like Gregor).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I remember that convo with you about Sandy, and am happy to eat crow and hope I have to eat some more if Kleven doesn't struggle this year.

I'll be honest with you, the PK2's are both too similar for me to choose one. Brannstrom and JBD might be a mediocre PK2, but I know what I'm getting. Jensen is a beast, but Kleven being an unknown makes it difficult for me to want to take a gamble and I just hope we have enough defensive forwards in place to help him transition to playing an effective role on the PK (which is where my slight frustration comes when we don't have a Joseph there, but might be playing someone slower like Gregor).
Well, if Kleven struggles, you have JBD to fall back on. I don't think he'll struggle though, he's built for the PK, long stick, excellent skater, strong as an ox.

Also, I'm not sure where you get the idea Gregor is slower... he's a speedster

Reactions: DylanSensFan

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Gregor is very fast, not slower than Joseph

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And yet he couldn’t score, or help score, and we still couldn’t win.

We needed to change out the periphery guys to try and change the make up of the team, and we have done that. We have moved them all out.
Not saying he should have or shouldn’t have been kept. He just played well when someone in the top 4 got injured. We went from losing to just losing again lol. Except three seasons ago he was actually great with zub and we went like 12-5-1.

Kleven we don’t know if he can even be a serviceable 3rd pairing guy.

And mystery 6th d we don’t know either

At worst I'd say they are on par, but imo Gregor is a touch faster

Honestly, while Joseph is very quick and fairly fast, I do find his speed has been a bit exaggerated since he got here.
Straight ahead there’s like 5 people that can beat him.

One is formenton.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Joseph. Why are we pretending he’s not one of the fastest players in the NHL all of a sudden
I think he quick of the launch which gets him that initial separation but he isn't one of the fastest once he gets going. That belief is supported by the data the NHL tracks,

That's also why when the sens do their fastest skater comps in the skill comp, it's guys like Norris and Kastelic winning not Joseph.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Even if Gregor is faster, from what I've watched Joseph is is much better at actually using his speed.

Creating separation really is the biggest differentiator in game.

Reactions: Butchy Dakkar

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Even if Gregor is faster, from what I've watched Joseph is is much better at actually using his speed.

Creating separation really is the biggest differentiator in game.
Joseph, Karlsson and Branny? Is that right? What we get to hear now.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Joseph. Why are we pretending he’s not one of the fastest players in the NHL all of a sudden
FYI for those asking, looks like Timmy had the highest top speed over the year, then Sandy, then Joe, then Chabby then Gregor,
Chabby .03 mph slower than Joe, so very close.

Joseph last year

Gregor last year

For reference
Sanderson

Stutzle

Chabby

Last edited:

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He looked like he had no leash for his entire career so far. its clear he has high end skill but is limited by his size. Coach will make or break a player like him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad