Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
No but seriously I'm happy for him. This fanbase has a hard-on for big players, and despite Branny mostly playing well in his time here and being the perfect third pairing LD who could move up and be a serviceable top-4 temporarily, he was never going to do enough for you size queens.

It'll be fun to follow his career in a market that appreciates what he is. I have no doubt he'll have a long career in the NHL.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Such a nice player in almost every way and if he was 6’ (or maybe even a legit 5,10) he’d be long enough to play as a really really good 2nd pairing 2 way guy.

He’s not quite fast enough to get quick separation (but when he gets a little room he’s great in transition).
He battles and gets good position defensively but the reality is that over the course of a game playing 2nd pairing minutes he will get overwhelmed.
Then factor in Sanderson Chabot Kleven down the left side…

Personally I’d be happy to keep him at $1 million and have him as our fantastic utility option anywhere in the lineup - someone’s always hurt he’d play most nights.
but we have Macewen and hamonic. as the extras locked in.

Have they said they won’t re sign him at all?
I would sort of assume they just dont want to pay him $2 million, at $1 million I’d sign him

Reactions: Senator Stanley

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
My question was about "the right decision for both parties" So I get the Sens made a decision not to qualify him.. So you are saying they made the right decisions for both parties.
Well, that's only my opinion, but yes, I do. I think it's time to move on if he thinks he can carve out more than a 6/7 spare part career, which I assume he wants. If he stays, he'll be paid more appropriately for the role, and more importantly, potentially be movable which it seems is not possible at his QO rate.

He's losing income and a guaranteed contract, so I can see why it's bad for him too and why you'd press me on that comment, but it's that point where I think a divorce is in both parties' best interest, even if he's needed as a placeholder for a bit longer. Personally, if you're asking, I don't mind him as a 6/7, but with Hamonic in the role of 7 that we hope only plays in emergency situations, it makes Brann a full time top 6. I don't want that and would prefer he's more of an option to balance out a different style of defender on any given night.

If he can't even get a league min contract somewhere looking to see what he is and ends up in Europe, then I'll take all that back lol.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
His inability to hold down a role on either special teams unit is probably what did him in.

People say he needs to go somewhere that he can play on the powerplay, but he probably won't get that opportunity anywhere. Over the last 3 seasons a total of 342 players have logged 200+ minutes on the powerplay. Brannstrom ranks 337th among that group in points. His underlying numbers on the PK are atrocious as well.

So what is he? A guy who gets decent shot metric results in some of the lowest leverage minutes in the league. We need somebody that can fill a role.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I here the EIHL is thinking of adding another team and Branny has been house hunting
1719782699099.png

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
What kind of fantasy land do you live in? That statement couldn't be further from the truth, sadly.

If you think there isn't a size bias in Ottawa I'd like to know which dimension you live in yourself.

His inability to hold down a role on either special teams unit is probably what did him in.

People say he needs to go somewhere that he can play on the powerplay, but he probably won't get that opportunity anywhere. Over the last 3 seasons a total of 342 players have logged 200+ minutes on the powerplay. Brannstrom ranks 337th among that group in points. His underlying numbers on the PK are atrocious as well.

So what is he? A guy who gets decent shot metric results in some of the lowest leverage minutes in the league. We need somebody that can fill a role.

He's a third pairing D. What exactly do you expect from that position? There aren't all that many better players in that slot in the league but in Ottawa I guess we expect our #5-6 dmen to be stellar, even on a bad team.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
If you think there isn't a size bias in Ottawa I'd like to know which dimension you live in yourself.

He's a third pairing D. What exactly do you expect from that position? There aren't all that many better players in that slot in the league but in Ottawa I guess we expect our #5-6 dmen to be stellar, even on a bad team.
Awesome avatar

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
I'm well aware of the bias this fanbase has towards smaller, skilled players. Maybe this post will help you understand:

Branny was a fan favourite here compared to bigger defenseman like Gudbranson or Josh Brown, so I'm genuinely so confused by your size queen comment.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Skill and determination might trump size in some situations, but all other things being equal, bigger is always better.

No matter what fans of the branstroms of the world, or someone's wife might say.

Reactions: Icelevel

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We are now into day two of free agency and no one has touched him. You saw it in the draft - there is a strong swing back to big boys. There were a lot of smaller, very skilled CHL players who went undrafted...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
We are now into day two of free agency and no one has touched him. You saw it in the draft - there is a strong swing back to big boys. There were a lot of smaller, very skilled CHL players who went undrafted...
teams will pick up these guys at cheap contracts

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024

Ray Ferraro said it on Overdrive last week, and he's a guy who, you'd think, would defend smaller guys since he himself was one. He basically said that if you're small, you better be an all-word elite talent putting up numbers. Because you can't be average and small.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ray Ferraro said it on Overdrive last week, and he's a guy who, you'd think, would defend smaller guys since he himself was one. He basically said that if you're small, you better be an all-word elite talent putting up numbers. Because you can't be average and small.

which is funny because Brannstrom was better for us than like 90 percent of the bigger 3rd pair d we've had over the the last 10-15 years.

including Hamonic and JBD.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,250.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3