Player Discussion Erik Brännström - D - Part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This is just posturing.

The only way I can see him being qualified is if we have a deal out of nowhere to move Chabot and we all of a sudden have a surplus of cap and need to maintain our depth on the backend with another left handed D who could QB one of the PP units.

His cap hit is too high. We have so little cap flexibility and so many needs. Maybe they could circle back to him and offer him something like 1 years at 1.125M with the agreement that they will continue shopping him, but if nothing materializes he will get a shot at making the team. As in, we're not qualifying you but we're open to guaranteeing you some money this season either with us or someone else if we can find a trade partner. If you turn this down, the offer won't be here on July 1st.

I could be completely misreading the market for him, but there is a possibility that he doesn't even get that kind of contract on the open market. It would give both sides room to breathe and they could still try to find him a new team.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Ottawa-Vegas
To Vegas.. Mark Stone.. heart and soul. Gave them a Cup.
To Ottawa..Brannstrom and 2nd round pick. Pick ends up being Sokolov (a Bust).. Brann is probably going to be bought out and has been a 5,6,7 D man

Montreal-Vegas
To Vegas.. Max. Pacioretty.... injured, old, did nothing. Was gone by the cup wining team
To Montreal.. Nick Suzuki.. their captain, 24 years old. 1st line player (is a 2nd liner on a good team). A second round pick that has been moved and resulted in nothing

Proudest day of my life....

Can we re-hire Pierre D, just for the pleasure of firing him again?
Yeah but at the time Brannstrom was a very high prospect wasn't he?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brannstrom has back to back seasons of 74 and 76 games player and he was a +5 in both season, just based on that alone he’ll get a shot. He’s already played 266 NHL games and now Ottawa have put in the development time and investment it sucks he’ll go somewhere else.

good luck to him, I like him and if he’s on the roster in Sept I won’t be disappointed

Reactions: bicboi64

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yes, generally considered a top 30 prospect leaguewide, was having a great season as a 19 year old in the AHL

Brannstorm and Debrincatnare the two players that never made any sense for the team - Dorion was trying to build a big strong team that had some jam in the draft and then simultaneously trading big massive assets for small undersized players who had no NHL experience or came from a bad team

Imagine Vegas traded Mark Stone tomorrow for the 15th overall pick and drafted a 5’10” Swedish defenceman. Vegas fans would sacrifice someone.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Brannstrom was a legitimate top prospect. Maybe not at the absolute top tier, but right below that.

That list is not consensus. I am posting it for context. He was in the mix with numerous top prospects league wide. He was more valuable than any one piece they got for Karlsson as they were valued at the time of the trade. Dorion had reason to be excited to acquire him. People were upset because of the disconnect between Dorion's words and the overall context of losing a franchise player in their prime.

It would be like if we traded Brady Tkachuk for a package with Kyle Korchinksi and Steve Staios waxed poetic about how this is the greatest day of his adult life, and we should all want to marry Kyle Korchinski and move on from our relationship with Brady. Is Kyle Korchinksi a really good young prospect who most people would be excited to add to their team? Sure. Is celebrating him in such an over the top way as the return to a trade that devastates the fanbase appropriate or helpful? No.

Game 7 Meltdown

Sep 24, 2019
I expect Brannstrom’s post-Ottawa career to shake out similarly to Peter Regin’s.

He’ll give it a go with another team or two over the next couple of seasons but end up in Europe by 2027 where he’ll enjoy a nice, long career.

A Spengler cup is in his future.
And we sneer at Spenglers because of all the Stanley Cups the Sens have won. Let the Bolts have their trivial trinkets, we've got a Breakers Cup in our trophy case!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Didn't see many Senators games this year but in looking at Brannstrom's numbers the past two seasons (particularly games played) it appears he has established himself as a solid NHL defenseman.

As a restricted free agent it would seem he is someone Ottawa would want to re-sign.

Yet looking at the various trade rumor threads (and some of the posts here) it appears to be a foregone conclusion that he will be somewhere else soon.

Why?
He's a new Jersey type player. Undersized skilled, good metrics not a player you actually win with. People that look at charts but don't really understand the game like him. Great compete level too. Just too small, not fast enough to make up for it, not good enough offense to be a top 6 guy on a playoff team. You'll feel like you win lots of arguments on hf though. Even though you'll be out of the playoffs. You can have him for Holtz or Marino.

Reactions: Icelevel

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wonder how he would be with an actual good partner. He’s always had to do all the breakout and puck carrying duties AND all the defensive duties on the third pair

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The club has been shopping Brannstrom forever, and there is no market for him. For a guy who was supposed to generate offense he simply doesn't, and his lack of size and physical play make him a poor fit for the third pairing. If we want to remake this roster we absolutely have to move on from guys like Brannstrom and Joseph to change our mix.

As others have said, he will likely sign somewhere on a one year, one million "show me" contract. We'll see what happens to him after that but like others, I see a long career in Europe in his future. Brannstrom will be great in Europe with the bigger ice and less physical play.

Yeah, moving some of our best 2-way players should really be our PRIORITY. I mean, we've been too good defensively.

Brannstrom-Anyone: Overmatched

I’d offer him a 3 x 1.25M as depth and if he refused just moved on.

Overmatched? He has he best metrics on the team of the last 2 years combined. He's been a net+ in terms of scoring chances and shot differential. That's what I am looking for in a defenseman rather than a tough guy like Hamonic who can stop the puck with his teeth but gets CAVED IN all game. But at the same time, my vision of the game is not really traditional I guess. For a goalie, the guys you end up appreciating the most are the ones who get the puck out smartly and quickly. Guys like Chabot, Sanderson and Brannstrom rather than guys like Hamonic and Chychrun

I would very surprised if Kleven is, overall, more effective this year than Brannstrom was last year.

I suspect Brannstrom is gone and I'm fine with that, but I don't think that just plugging in Kleven is the proper solution. If we could get a cheap vet for insurance that would be ideal.

The end goal of having Kleven in the playoffs over Brannstrom is fine but I mean, we haven't gotten there for 7 years lol. And people have been talking about Brannstrom lacking size for the playoffs... I mean, I would like to get there as a first step

I would certainly invest 2.0 in Brannstrom as an insurance policy who can play both sides effectively and up and down the line up when there is an injury (even at forward). I would much rather do that than waste away cap space on guys like Korpisalo, White, Tierney, Hamonic, Del Zotto, Kubalik, etc etc etc

I wonder how he would be with an actual good partner. He’s always had to do all the breakout and puck carrying duties AND all the defensive duties on the third pair

He has even better advanced metrics when paired with quality. Watch the Canes or the Panthers get him when he becomes our trash. A man's trash is another man's treasure. Some win by just being smarter.

He would have to accept a lower salary to be on a good team or he could go on a team in transition and maybe have a bigger role. I would get him if I was Calgary

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad