Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Disappointed that Dorion is high on Brannstrom. I am hoping they move him as I don't see him fitting. if he comes back it will most likley be as a 7th. Maybe if he buries one early next year, it may change his trajectory. Clearly, Dorion desperately needs Brannstrom to pan out due to the pricetag of his trade, and probably the only reason

Oh no a young developing d who has demonstrated that he can step up and take harder minutes on our third pair.

The horror.

And lol at equating a defencemans value with goals.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Disappointed that Dorion is high on Brannstrom. I am hoping they move him as I don't see him fitting. if he comes back it will most likley be as a 7th. Maybe if he buries one early next year, it may change his trajectory. Clearly, Dorion desperately needs Brannstrom to pan out due to the pricetag of his trade, and probably the only reason
I think that's being a little cynical which is unlike you. I agree PD needs Brannstrom to pan out but that's because he was acquired with a big rep and you always need your high profile guys to hit their ceilings.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It wasn't alked about much but Holden really struggled down the stretch after playing well most of the season.

Of course he WAS paired with Zaitsev during that time. That could explain it. Or he might just be a soon to be 35 year old who played more hockey this year than he should have.
Zaitsev drags down every single thing he touches. So my money is on that

Reactions: NB613

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh no a young developing d who has demonstrated that he can step up and take harder minutes on our third pair.

The horror.

And lol at equating a defencemans value with goals.
Oh, is that we he showed you. And his skill, which was supposed to help the powerplay. A big 6 points manning the PP.

Lol at not even having one goal, especiallt being the PP QB for 20 plus games. The joke is on the fans defending that

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Oh, is that we he showed you. And his skill, which was supposed to help the powerplay. A big 6 points manning the PP.

Lol at not even having one goal, especiallt being the PP QB for 20 plus games. The joke is on the fans defending that
The PP looked the exact same with him swapped in for Chabot.

Arent you impressed at all with his D game. Anchoring the team when Chabot was out.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

if you are so fixated on that one part of the game then honestly you don't understand hockey. just because Branns bread and butter should be PP points it doesn't mean we can ignore the work he has been doing on ES and even on the PK.

This guy gives the team flow. He is dynamic and fearless and the forwards love playing with him because they know he will push the pace. He opens room for everyone. Zub loves playing with him too.

And yes he still has faults, but he is 22! basically a rookie at the start and by the end of the season he was a big part of why our team was competitive because of his two way hockey and puck moving. Who cares about a few PP points?

Reactions: Dionysus

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Chabot had 1 pp goal all year. 59 games. QB PP1.

That goal actually happened this past week. He rotated down the wall, stayed in front of the net and got a cross crease pass from Tkachuk. The one goal wasn't even scored from the "D" position
Post automatically merged:

That goal actually happened this past week. He rotated down the wall, stayed in front of the net and got a cross crease pass from Tkachuk. The one goal wasn't even scored from the "D" position

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Everything from team commentary to ice time utilization says Brannstrom is going to play. Look at his ice, PD's exit comments and recent DJ comments. Brannstrom will play or he returns the asset we're looking for which is a decent quality top 6 winger
Can't imagine them sitting him to start the year, but I almost get the feeling they are pumping his tires too much. I kind of expect him to be traded, I like him so I hope not, at least not yet, but I just get the feeling he and White are gone this offseason.

Reactions: coladin

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The PP looked the exact same with him swapped in for Chabot.

Arent you impressed at all with his D game. Anchoring the team when Chabot was out.
He has improved defensively, yes. But it still is unimpressive to me and takes a lot of penalties that suggest he is out of possession and hooks/holds to catch up

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
if you are so fixated on that one part of the game then honestly you don't understand hockey. just because Branns bread and butter should be PP points it doesn't mean we can ignore the work he has been doing on ES and even on the PK.

This guy gives the team flow. He is dynamic and fearless and the forwards love playing with him because they know he will push the pace. He opens room for everyone. Zub loves playing with him too.

And yes he still has faults, but he is 22! basically a rookie at the start and by the end of the season he was a big part of why our team was competitive because of his two way hockey and puck moving. Who cares about a few PP points?

Yeah, nice comeback. Maybe I just don't think he is any good, and you do.

We don't need him to play defence at 5'9". Anyone can do that. he is supposed to be a difference maker, and he is not that in any way, shape or form. He is basically a younger Victor Mete, but slower and passes better. Same lousy shot.

His only positive is his ability to move the puck between the bluelines. Now, who is to say that if he scores opening night that , at his age, he will be more confident and get his game in gear? Maybe. I only see a player who is scraping to make the NHL and is being pushed because Dorion needs him to be successful, or at least an NHL player. He is already a bottom 6 d, and where does he go next? Ahead of Chabot and Sanderson? No. He is going to be 7th when Lassi and JBD push him out

True, and that isn't acceptable either . I just think he had his chance and he blew it because guys are going to pass him, and I don't see where he fits long term, or even short term

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He has improved defensively, yes. But it still is unimpressive to me and takes a lot of penalties that suggest he is out of possession and hooks/holds to catch up
Yeah. 100 games in the NHL. He’s improved to the point where if you give him a half competent d partner and big minutes we don’t look that bad.

For the people that are like “look how well we finished the year” (this and last year) well brannstrom wa as massive part in both finishes.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

We don't need him to play defence at 5'9". Anyone can do that. he is supposed to be a difference maker, and he is not that in any way, shape or form. He is basically a younger Victor Mete, but slower and passes better. Same lousy shot.

His only positive is his ability to move the puck between the bluelines. Now, who is to say that if he scores opening night that , at his age, he will be more confident and get his game in gear? Maybe. I only see a player who is scraping to make the NHL and is being pushed because Dorion needs him to be successful, or at least an NHL player. He is already a bottom 6 d, and where does he go next? Ahead of Chabot and Sanderson? No. He is going to be 7th when Lassi and JBD push him out

True, and that isn't acceptable either . I just think he had his chance and he blew it because guys are going to pass him, and I don't see where he fits long term, or even short term
I don't like him on the point on the second PP. I think he would work better at the dot where Norris plays on PP1. Im not saying move Norris off PP1! Lol. He would be able to pass high or low or walk out a bit and shoot. I think he would be a bit more versatile that way. I think Brown plays in that spot. Move Brown to the point. He likes to shoot at the goalies pads and he is good defensively incase there is a cluster f***. What do you say? Let's try it next year.

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
IMO this will come down to whether Sanderson is ahead of Brann or not by the end of training camp. Brann is ahead by age & experience while Sanderson is ahead by pedegree & skillset. If it comes down to one of these two, who do you want? If the Chabot/Hamonic tandem works out for next yr Hamonic could earn another contract. Eight D on the roster, six spots available, at least three are obviously taken & there are two more D in Belleville who will challenge for spots next season. Zaitsev is who the fan base wants gone, but I'm not sure what the org will do with him, if anything.

Chabot - Hamonic - they have said & are trying this combo out & want it to work
Brann - Zub - Brann is occupying the spot where Sanderson fits & should play
Holden - Zaitsev - both are signed for next yr & were used as the shutdown tandem
MDZ - what will they do with him? Probably buy him out, they still have Thomson & JBD.
I think they can fit them both in.
Chabot-Hammer/Zub
Brann/Sanderson-Hammer/Zub
Brann/Sanderson- rotating piece of Holden (who can play the right side), JBD/Lassi, or Zaitsev (if he isn't bought out).

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yeah. 100 games in the NHL. He’s improved to the point where if you give him a half competent d partner and big minutes we don’t look that bad.

For the people that are like “look how well we finished the year” (this and last year) well brannstrom wa as massive part in both finishes.
I am not one of those this year about the strong finish, as I got burned last year by it. But to his defense, this year's competition was much harder with more quality opponents that were seen much less. So there is that. but he is supposed to be an offensive defenceman, and he is far, far away from that. And if he cannot be that, then what is he and where does he fit?

I don't like him on the point on the second PP. I think he would work better at the dot where Norris plays on PP1. Im not saying move Norris off PP1! Lol. He would be able to pass high or low or walk out a bit and shoot. I think he would be a bit more versatile that way. I think Brown plays in that spot. Move Brown to the point. He likes to shoot at the goalies pads and he is good defensively incase there is a cluster f***. What do you say? Let's try it next year.
I actually wouldn't mind, if he is here, a first PP or Bath-Norris-Brady with Branny and Chabot. I think he needs another shot threat to help him out from the point. A second PP with Stutzle-Stud-Brown and with Sanderson and maybe Pinto would be quite good too

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The problem with PP2 is that apart from Brannstrom and maybe 15 games of Colin White, no one else on PP2 actually belongs on an NHL PP. Not Brown. Not Formenton. Not Ennis. Not Tierney. Not Paul. No one. How do you run a successful PP when only one guy on it has the skills to be there.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I am not one of those this year about the strong finish, as I got burned last year by it. But to his defense, this year's competition was much harder with more quality opponents that were seen much less. So there is that. but he is supposed to be an offensive defenceman, and he is far, far away from that. And if he cannot be that, then what is he and where does he fit?

I actually wouldn't mind, if he is here, a first PP or Bath-Norris-Brady with Branny and Chabot. I think he needs another shot threat to help him out from the point. A second PP with Stutzle-Stud-Brown and with Sanderson and maybe Pinto would be quite good too
I think Brannys shot would be more effective on the right side rolling out to the point instead of him dishing the puck there or curling down to the left dot. The little f***er can make a few quick cuts jitter bug style to get open and the space on the power play is perfect for that. It seems he's kind of hemmed in on the point and forcing things. He would have more options on the right side I think.

Stu in Norris spot or point on the second PP would be great.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The problem with PP2 is that apart from Brannstrom and maybe 15 games of Colin White, no one else on PP2 actually belongs on an NHL PP. Not Brown. Not Formenton. Not Ennis. Not Tierney. Not Paul. No one. How do you run a successful PP when only one guy on it has the skills to be there.
Maybe with Pinto and Stutzle and Sanderson, that may be enough to get it done. Stutzle can find anyone, which is awesome to watch

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I would just find it so incredible that the team has Chabot go down and Brannstrom becomes #1 D while running #1PP yet as soon as next season starts he is a 7th D that has to be moved. I mean has that ever happened?

And this is the 1st time I have really used fancy stats to support a player but they are pretty impressive and show a guy that at even strength is on for a lot more chances for than against.

Reactions: Bileur and Dionysus

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I would just find it so incredible that the team has Chabot go down and Brannstrom becomes #1 D while running #1PP yet as soon as next season starts he is a 7th D that has to be moved. I mean has that ever happened?

And this is the 1st time I have really used fancy stats to support a player but they are pretty impressive and show a guy that at even strength is on for a lot more chances for than against.
Brannstrom was given every opportunity . I would say he is ok. We will have to see how soon Sanderson can assume a top 4 spot.
IMO they need to improve their D. Ideally a top 4 to play with Chabot or Sanderson or even Brannstrom depending on Sanderson who I expect comes up to speed fairly quickly. I'd like to see Hamonic on the 3rd pair. If they do that Brannstrom could get pushed down as far as 7th. I would play Holden on that bottom pair.. I think Brannstrom proved he can play ..and I am looking at building a more "contender" D corps .. That probably does not happen as they likely prioritize the top 6 W .. and there are limits to what they will spend.
They will also want to bring Thomson and JBD up for extensive looks.

Chabot Zub
Sanderson X
_____ Hamonic
_____
Zaitsev has to be moved.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom was given every opportunity . I would say he is ok. We will have to see how soon Sanderson can assume a top 4 spot.
IMO they need to improve their D. Ideally a top 4 to play with Chabot or Sanderson or even Brannstrom depending on Sanderson who I expect comes up to speed fairly quickly. I'd like to see Hamonic on the 3rd pair. If they do that Brannstrom could get pushed down as far as 7th. I would play Holden on that bottom pair.. I think Brannstrom proved he can play ..and I am looking at building a more "contender" D corps .. That probably does not happen as they likely prioritize the top 6 W .. and there are limits to what they will spend.
They will also want to bring Thomson and JBD up for extensive looks.

Chabot Zub
Sanderson X
_____ Hamonic
_____
Zaitsev has to be moved.
Zaitsev has to go and be replaced by a big physical RD who has shown he can handle a top 4 role.

Reactions: HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
uhhh ya Brannstrom isnt the problem on this defense. its again putting bottom pairing guys like Holden, MDZ, Zaitzev and Hamonic in roles that they can't play at this point in their career.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
uhhh ya Brannstrom isnt the problem on this defense. its again putting bottom pairing guys like Holden, MDZ, Zaitzev and Hamonic in roles that they can't play at this point in their career.
Are you going to blame Stutzle, Tkachuk, Norris and Batherson for Brannstrom's ineptness on the PP too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad