Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I like Branstrom and he has great potential but playing on this roster does not help him develop. I am not sure how the coaching staff does not see this.

He is not projected to be a stay at home d-man, let's see his offensive upside in the minors and let the hacks take the lumps this year.

I don't want him to be the next Codi Ceci!

We are not going anywhere fast, no need to rush prospects! Branstrom is being rushed.
Ceci was not, is not, will not be, very good. ever no amount of AHL seasoning would have made him a great NHLer. I believe in brannstrom, SO THAT MEANS YOU SHOULD TOO

Reactions: GCK

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If his strength is offence he needs to be put in a position that will allow him to be the best PMD he can be. I'm not sure his role in Ottawa right now is doing that.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If he has the talent to be a top PMD, then he will find a way through any situation he is in.
If that's the case, then why not throw newly drafted players in the NHL right away?

Coaching/management can definitely impact a player's development. Sometimes you need to let a player play to his strengths in an environment that will allow him to. Belleville might be the place.

Maybe this anxiety comes from the fact that we gave up an extended Mark Stone for him.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If that's the case, then why not throw newly drafted players in the NHL right away?

Coaching/management can definitely impact a player's development. Sometimes you need to let a player play to his strengths in an environment that will allow him to. Belleville might be the place.

Maybe this anxiety comes from the fact that we gave up an extended Mark Stone for him.
I think you are right on the anxiety bit. Brannstrom has been fine. He's made some nifty plays he's made some nifty stretch passes. And he's skated with the puck into the o zone plenty. He's coming along fine imo and i dont see any reason for him to go to the minors.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think you are right on the anxiety bit. Brannstrom has been fine. He's made some nifty plays he's made some nifty stretch passes. And he's skated with the puck into the o zone plenty. He's coming along fine imo and i dont see any reason for him to go to the minors.

Maybe they can teach him to be BIGGER! :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If his strength is offence he needs to be put in a position that will allow him to be the best PMD he can be. I'm not sure his role in Ottawa right now is doing that.

I do not expect Brannstrom to be very good or great at this time. However, I think he is learning from his short time with the Senators in the NHL. He is experiencing the play with bigger, stronger, faster, more highly skilled players which will help him develop into a better D man in the long run. This season may not be the time to make him a full-time NHL player as he needs to develop further, but he has potential be a good D man, but not likely a great D man.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If he has the talent to be a top PMD, then he will find a way through any situation he is in.

Agreed, the cream always rises to the top & if he can't or doesn't improve, that's on him. I think too many on here believed all the hype about him & are waiting for this great player to emerge when he may never be the player they think he has the potential to become. He's had plenty of NHL ice time in different situations & he has had a good mentor in Hainsey to help him, now it's up to him to take it. Maybe he's ready or maybe he's not, but he certainly needs to get stronger in order to win more puck battles. IMO I think they take their time with him & hope that he eventually reaches his potential.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Agreed, the cream always rises to the top & if he can't or doesn't improve, that's on him. I think too many on here believed all the hype about him & are waiting for this great player to emerge when he may never be the player they think he has the potential to become. He's had plenty of NHL ice time in different situations & he has had a good mentor in Hainsey to help him, now it's up to him to take it. Maybe he;s ready & maybe he's not but he certainly needs to get stronger in order to win more puck battles.

I think too many people are not expecting a great player to emerge, they are expecting a great player now.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think too many people are not expecting a great player to emerge, they are expecting a great player now.
Agreed, it could take a little longer, what we should hope for is incremental improvement as the season progresses & hopefully a better player next yr from the experience gained this yr.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think Brannstrom has done pretty well. My concern with him is his speed. He needs to improve it to maximize his game. I'd like to see him be able to skate the puck out of trouble. I'd like to see him be able to beat some one with his speed. He is agile and he can skate , he's just not fast. That said I think he is faster than Lajoie who still looks like he'd dragging a parachute on puck retrievals deep behind him in his end. Brannstrom's speed never looked like an issue to me until he made the jump to the NHL I can see it getting better .. will have to wait to see how much better.

Reactions: robsenz

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I think Brannstrom has done pretty well. My concern with him is his speed. He needs to improve it to maximize his game. I'd like to see him be able to skate the puck out of trouble. I'd like to see him be able to beat some one with his speed. He is agile and he can skate , he's just not fast. That said I think he is faster than Lajoie who still looks like he'd dragging a parachute on puck retrievals deep behind him in his end. Brannstrom's speed never looked like an issue to me until he made the jump to the NHL I can see it getting better .. will have to wait to see how much better.

They talked about him a lot in the media recently. A lot of praise, and a lot of promise in the future.

Number 26 is a key variable for our rebuild

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The more he plays the better he gets. He was making 1on3 dashes the last few games he played. You can see the tremendous skill evident. He just needs consistency being a smaller guy and that goes with getting the Batherson treatment if he doesnt have more stble NHL minutes, tbh.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Reminds me of Toby Enström who was a solid top 4 D for a long time. Hopefully he can be the 50 point version rather than the 30 point version.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

He’s not the next Erik Karlsson, he’s the next small Wade Redden

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They talked about him a lot in the media recently. A lot of praise, and a lot of promise in the future.

Number 26 is a key variable for our rebuild
Is he really though. Best case scenario is he is 2nd pair behind a 25 minute a night Chabot. If he busts it’s not the end of the world.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Is he really though. Best case scenario is he is 2nd pair behind a 25 minute a night Chabot. If he busts it’s not the end of the world.
The main return for Stone being a bust would be pretty terrible. I really hope he doesn't bust.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
It's been obvious he needs time in the AHL since about game 10 of the season. There really isn't a point in forcing him into an NHL role.

Jaros and Lajoie deserve a look. Wolanin will be back. Brannstrom should be playing 1D minutes in Belleville and would be if he wasn't the return for Mark Stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad