Player Discussion Erik Brännström |5'10, 181lbs | Left Handed Defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Branstrom needs to get to the AHL and fast and find his offensive confidence. period.

We can find a waiver wire pickup or whatever, we are on a tank season their is no need to have Branstrom playing here this season. He has had his cup of coffee and then some knows what he needs to work on . Go to AHL and do it their and maybe even help some of the other D-Men down their.

Dorion has a lot of work to do, prospects look good one year and maybe not another year. Only the Blue-Chip prospects you can bank on and Branstrom is one of them but lets let the kid play some AHL hockey and dominate and run the Powerplay and lead the team. You will see a whole different player come next year.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
he looks very average

don't see how he is an A prospect
Member when Nill said we knew exactly who to ask for in Guptill and Paul. Just give it time. Check back in 10 years, he'll be a regular. Mark Stone will be a healthy scratch for the leafs.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
While this is a valid point, I don't think it would be particularly hard to trade for (or claim on waivers) fodder defenceman who can play on the NHL squad post deadline if they plan on keeping the kids in Belleville. Every year we see guys like Chris Wideman, Korbinian Holzer, Martin Marincin, ect hit waivers. I'd have no issue taking a shot on a couple of guys of that ilk if it means being able to move Hainsey/Boro/Demelo for value.

Pre-deadline/sell-off:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Hainsey
Borowiecki - Demelo
Wolanin (IR) - Goloubef

Post-deadline/sell-off/Wolanin return:

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Trade/Waiver
Brannstrom - Trade/Waiver
Goloubef

Keeps Lajoie and Jaros in the minors (where they belong, imo) and if the team holds on to a guy like Boro because they deem his presence more valuable than the mid round pick they could get, than it gives them the opportunity to send a guy like Brannstrom down as well.

I just don't think you turn down "value" for pending UFA's when you're in the Senators position.

I agree with all this. Except for these players really having value. . Maybe Demelo.

But instead of 5th and 6th round picks I'd rather just try to bolster Belleville.

I mean if teams come offering 2nds for Boro and Hainsey then of course you make that trade. I just don't see that happening.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He was showing off some of his skill today, but still too many questionable decisions for my liking.

Needs to be sent down. No shame in not being NHL ready at 19.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He was showing off some of his skill today, but still too many questionable decisions for my liking.

Needs to be sent down. No shame in not being NHL ready at 19.

As long as he's showing progress (he is) I'm fine with him in the NHL. But the second regression rears its head he needs to go down and play in Belleville.

Reactions: Sweatred

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
A few mistakes, but his best game last night. Showed some real high end skill, its like he decided it was time to try out a little more of his game.
His dangle out of the corner was truly impressive

Reactions: Sensinitis

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think he looks good. Game to game getting more and more creative. I would like to see him on the PP with Chabot and Brown.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I like Branstrom and he has great potential but playing on this roster does not help him develop. I am not sure how the coaching staff does not see this.

He is not projected to be a stay at home d-man, let's see his offensive upside in the minors and let the hacks take the lumps this year.

I don't want him to be the next Codi Ceci!

We are not going anywhere fast, no need to rush prospects! Branstrom is being rushed.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I like Branstrom and he has great potential but playing on this roster does not help him develop. I am not sure how the coaching staff does not see this.

He is not projected to be a stay at home d-man, let's see his offensive upside in the minors and let the hacks take the lumps this year.

I don't want him to be the next Codi Ceci!

We are not going anywhere fast, no need to rush prospects! Branstrom is being rushed.

I agree. While I have a tough time criticizing this coaching staff, considering what they’ve been able to do so far, the two real head scratchers are their handling of Brannstrom and their refusal to let Chabot play with his preferred partner in DeMelo. You would think a priority would be to get your franchise defenceman going and not to worry so much about Boro.

Like it’s been said so many time already, Brannstrom needs to be playing top minutes in all situations in Belleville.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What exactly is Brannstrom supposed to learn in the AHL? If his skill level is good enough for the NHL, then all he would learn is how to coast a bit against inferior opposition. This season he is learning how to play in the best league in the world, and there's nothing quite like on the job training. If he can survive and keep up, which he is doing just fine, it sets him up beautifully for next season and beyond. You watch - next year he will come to camp a little faster, a little stronger, and a lot wiser about playing in the NHL. Had he spent the year in Belleville, that process would still be awaiting him.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
What exactly is Brannstrom supposed to learn in the AHL? If his skill level is good enough for the NHL, then all he would learn is how to coast a bit against inferior opposition. This season he is learning how to play in the best league in the world, and there's nothing quite like on the job training. If he can survive and keep up, which he is doing just fine, it sets him up beautifully for next season and beyond. You watch - next year he will come to camp a little faster, a little stronger, and a lot wiser about playing in the NHL. Had he spent the year in Belleville, that process would still be awaiting him.
This is my opinion as well. He just turned 20 and he's doing ok, not thriving but he is surviving. He could develop really well and in 3 years from now this will all be an after thought.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I watched the game last night. No Brannstrom. Checked the boxscore from the Detroit game thinking he was sat out agin in a back to back but no Brannstrom. I was out of country for about 10 days and didn't follow the news closely. Whats up with him? Why has he missed 2 games?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I watched the game last night. No Brannstrom. Checked the boxscore from the Detroit game thinking he was sat out agin in a back to back but no Brannstrom. I was out of country for about 10 days and didn't follow the news closely. Whats up with him? Why has he missed 2 games?
He hurt his wrist in practice before the Detroit game. Not too serious. He was not targeted to sit. It was good to get Goloubef in a couple games.

Reactions: JD1

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I like how he deploys himself in the offensive zone. You could tell there was confidence building there and he can skate well. I like his first pass out of the zone, but he might be the kind of player who joins an attack from our own blue line and contributes quite well that way.

Cant recall his shot though, oddly enough. Is it good?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
If Brannstrom turns out to be a bust. This will go down as the worst Dorion trade of all time. Maybe of any GM.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

He could learn to play more aggressively offensively. A lot easier to do against AHLers than NHLers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad